Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Fairest, #9

In "Fairest" #9 by Lauren Beukes and Inaki Miranda, Rapunzel meets old loves and new threats in The Hidden Kingdom. The imagery and Beukes' allusive world-building are lovely, but flaws in plotting, pacing and characterization mar its beauty.

Full review here.

Default great one

woow, cool threaed, trx on sale, trx for sale, cheap trx

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    In "Fairest" #9 by Lauren Beukes and Inaki Miranda, Rapunzel meets old loves and new threats in The Hidden Kingdom. The imagery and Beukes' allusive world-building are lovely, but flaws in plotting, pacing and characterization mar its beauty.

Full review here.
    I am in agreement with this review. I felt i should like it more, but somehow it did not grab me and felt a bit laborious to read.

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

In a way, I see this as sort of a typical second issue: much is built upon the first, and suggested for the next, but it's a betweener of an issue, not what any series needs, really, but at least this one does give much in the flash-and-glitter stage. Still quite happy to be following this, if only to see ol' Jack now and then. A good review, by the way--thanks!
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    In a way, I see this as sort of a typical second issue: much is built upon the first, and suggested for the next, but it's a betweener of an issue, not what any series needs, really, but at least this one does give much in the flash-and-glitter stage. Still quite happy to be following this, if only to see ol' Jack now and then. A good review, by the way--thanks!
    Thanks, Matt! I like your apt phrase/concept "flash-and-glitter" stage. I agree about being happy to follow "The Hidden Kingdom". Though more shallow than I'd like, tourist trips and pretty lights aren't awful ways to spend one's time. I couldn't justify (to myself) giving it four stars, and yet Beukes is doing such interesting stuff (certainly, there's nothing like out on the stands) and Miranda's art is great, so I'll probably read the whole storyline.