Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why does it seem impossible for Marvel to have a fixed release calendar like DC?

One thing i really liked since DC started the NEW 52 is their fix release date for every title. For example since last september i know that Batman and Robin will come out the second wednesday every month, Justice League a week later and Animal Man a week earlier. It is important, because with this fix date you know what you will get this week and you know how to plan your comic budget.

Why can't Marvel be like DC in this area? the titles which do double-ship are the worst. Sometimes you get two issues in 3 weeks, sometimes only one for 5 weeks and sometimes you have the impression that their is a new issue every week. Wolverine and the X-Men i'm looking at you ;)

Why is it impossible to say: Every month We release a Avengers issue the first and the third week, New X-Men every second and fouth, ...

like this:

1.week: Avengers, Thunderbolts, Captain America, Hulk
    2.week: X-Men, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, Deadpool,
    3.week: Avengers, X-Force, Hulk, Wolverine, X-Men Legacy
    4.week: X-Men, SPider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, Moebius, Avengers Assemble

next month:

2.week: X-Men, Spider-Man,.....

It is such a simple thing, but it is also very helpful if you have to plan your budget.

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

Or an accurate calendar at all. Their website calendar is often very inaccurate.
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

Tell me about it.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Marvel's calendar is better than it used to be but that's not saying much. You still see a lot of "Image not Found" for covers.

As to the OP, I think it's always going to be off at times. The writer can work much faster than an artist and sometimes they can get behind. I do notice that Marvel isn't as rigid with sticking to an artist and indulging them like Joe Q used to do. Some artists just can't work on a monthly title. Marvel has finally learned that the fans aren't all that loyal to the artist as they were in the past, waiting up to 7 or 8 months between issues like what happened to the Ultimates. An exception can be made of a mini series and they should wait until its mostly done before even announcing it. But then too much switching around can be a distraction. I lost count of how many artists worked on Hickman's FF towards the end and the styles varied quite a bit.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-12-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by serd View Post
    One thing i really liked since DC started the NEW 52 is their fix release date for every title. For example since last september i know that Batman and Robin will come out the second wednesday every month, Justice League a week later and Animal Man a week earlier. It is important, because with this fix date you know what you will get this week and you know how to plan your comic budget.

Why can't Marvel be like DC in this area? the titles which do double-ship are the worst. Sometimes you get two issues in 3 weeks, sometimes only one for 5 weeks and sometimes you have the impression that their is a new issue every week. Wolverine and the X-Men i'm looking at you ;)

Why is it impossible to say: Every month We release a Avengers issue the first and the third week, New X-Men every second and fouth, ...

like this:

2.week: X-Men, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, Deadpool,
    3.week: Avengers, X-Force, Hulk, Wolverine, X-Men Legacy
    4.week: X-Men, SPider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, Moebius, Avengers Assemble

next month:

2.week: X-Men, Spider-Man,.....

It is such a simple thing, but it is also very helpful if you have to plan your budget.
    Actually Justice League did experience weekly delays but the books always came out the same month.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Because while they do tend to have fill-in artists and all that, they seem a bit more lenient to me than DC.

The calendar on their website is annoying. I use it so I know what they're releasing each month, and what week it will be (I plan my spending for each month a month in advance, just finished sorting out my December buys, except for the weeks). At the moment the December part only has 3 comics (with no pictures) in it.
    Peter Parker is my lord and saviour.
    Show Teddy some love!
    "I want Apex to feast on Reptil like a pregnant khaleesi." - Sanji
    MY ART

Haven't the solits been announced yet? ;/ I hate how marvels always the last
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Haven't the solits been announced yet? ;/ I hate how marvels always the last
    They'll be released when they're released

There's still time though, it's getting later here in the UK, but there's plenty of time in the day over in the US still I believe. And it looks like other publishers have solicits coming out at the moment, so could be today.
    Show Teddy some love!
    MY ART

Quote Originally Posted by LooneyKoala View Post
    They'll be released when they're released

There's still time though, it's getting later here in the UK, but there's plenty of time in the day over in the US still I believe. And it looks like other publishers have solicits coming out at the moment, so could be today.
    Great point! ;) xD I'm staying up late anyways. As we speak DC ones are being announces and dark horse.

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

I tend go by Previews web site or Midtown comics as far as releases, for advanced orders and week-to-week. I tend to avoid the print release calendar on Marvel's website as others have said. It doesn't bother me as much as it used to for many reasons.

That said, I wouldn't complain if Marvel became a bit more strict and got the books out the same week every month.

Marvel's solits are either Tuesday (or more recently, Wednesday.)

DC and Dark Horse are always a day or two earlier.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

Great point! ;) xD I'm staying up late anyways. As we speak DC ones are being announces and dark horse.
    Indeed they are. I'm interested in Marvel and Image I already know what I'll be buying from DC.
    Show Teddy some love!
    MY ART

Damn! This waits killing me xD I need to know before 12:30, which will be 7 US time.

Damn! This waits killing me xD I need to know before 12:30, which will be 7 US time.
    Any particular reason that the time you mentioned is such a hard deadline for you?

You do realize that the Marvel solicits aren't coming out today? Most likely it'll be out Wednesday because the last couple of months have had them come out the Wednesday after DC released theirs.

'Doh! I was told it was today and I just wated to know whether secret avengers was double shilling ;(