Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
    Well obviously they like it. I just cannot comprehend how they do.
    We know. You told us earlier in this thread.
    "If God is the answer, the wrong question has been asked."

Quote Originally Posted by Patroklos View Post
    Isn't she making a hamburger rather than a sandwich?
    The sandwich doesn't matter. Batgirl isn't focused on it. She's only making it because the psycho is telling her to. She probably just grabbed some nearby ingedients and started making a random sandwich. I don't get why so many people here are hung up on the sandwich Batgirl is making, but it's to be expected from the critical few who repeatedly disparage the Batgirl title, whether fairly or (usually) unfairly.
    "If God is the answer, the wrong question has been asked."

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrrightnow View Post
    I don't get why so many people here are hung up on the sandwich Batgirl is making, but it's to be expected from the critical few who repeatedly disparage the Batgirl title, whether fairly or (usually) unfairly.
    Yes, can we move on to an actual discussion of the issue in it's entirety now? I have a partial review on the prior page. A lot does happen in this issue, particularly seeing Barbara finally putting TKJ firmly behind her at long last, or rather under her foot as it were!
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Good, good stuff. Nice to see batGRRRl4ever get a shout out at the end there. The reveal of the caller's identity was a not-so-pleasant but welcome surprise. I could do with a different artist tho. DC should have one of their upper tier guys on this book. There's a large enough fan base here to support that.

Erm, I'm not getting the shout-out joke your referring to. I have to agree that at this point, going back to having two artists doing half & half is just not acceptable anymore. The books fanbase IS large enough to demand better. 50K enough to demand better.

Oh yes, unfortunately I have found one more thing that is a negative critique this issue. When Batgirl enters the roller rink her outfit is normal. Then a few pages later the under ribbing under her arms turns yellow. Then on the next page ALL of the under ribbing turns yellow, reminicent of the stupid yellow ribbing look that has been seen more than once now over in BOP. So apparently editorial can't even catch when a characters basic look is depicted inaccurately. That or editor Brian Cunningham and assistant editor Katie Kubert just don't care to pay attention to such obvious errors. So if they get moved over to Superman I guess they won't mind if Sups suddenly gets yellow shorts.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

I enjoyed this quite a bit. And this Daniel Sempere. U know im not the big on mid issue fill ins, but i gotta say he did good. I wouldn't mind seeing him doing some full issues.

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    Erm, I'm not getting the shout-out joke your referring to.
    What joke. She was tossing you a wink there when she used the long forgotten "dominoed daredoll" moniker that one certain fan has done his best to keep alive.

Quote Originally Posted by ticklefist View Post
    Good, good stuff. Nice to see batGRRRl4ever get a shout out at the end there. The reveal of the caller's identity was a not-so-pleasant but welcome surprise. I could do with a different artist tho. DC should have one of their upper tier guys on this book. There's a large enough fan base here to support that.
    Ed Benes was the artist behind a pretty good Justice League of America run not so long ago.

A legitimate complaint for me is that once again the editors are clearly NOT communicating effectively across the crossovers. Because in Batman, Bats commented on the fact that the joker venom made the police officers killed frown, but in Batgirl everyone killed had the standard grim smiles.
    I'm not sure that's a valid criticism, the formula that made people frown instead of smile seems to have been a one-time thing meant to send a message to Batman. He switches back to his regular formula for his other antics.

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    If this about not liking it because she's Barbara Gordon rather than Stephanie Brown, judging by your avatar....might I suggest your discussion goes to a Stephanie Brown thead, like that "appreciation" thing, rather than trolling here in a Babs discussion?
    Jumping to conclusions much?

Quote Originally Posted by mrrightnow View Post
    I don't get why so many people here are hung up on the sandwich Batgirl is making, but it's to be expected from the critical few who repeatedly disparage the Batgirl title, whether fairly or (usually) unfairly.
    I thought the sandwich thing was a 'shout-out' to what is apparently the rallying cry of all misogynists gamers (as in video games) around the world who can't bear to see a girl or a woman play with or against them, and instead ask them to 'go make them a sandwich'. I though that was what everyone was reacting at.

Yawn, that old chestnut again?
    Again? I don't think I've ever made that particular claim. I was only curious as to how sales seemed to be growing.

I haven't read this book in ages (just not my kind of thing, no predisposed hate towards Babs). I'm seriously only here because I read the preview on a whim.

And I like sammiches.

Quote Originally Posted by ticklefist View Post
    What joke. She was tossing you a wink there when she used the long forgotten "dominoed daredoll" moniker that one certain fan has done his best to keep alive.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Thanks for the remind, I did like that shout-out. I'd truly keel over in a nerd-gasm if they ever somehow put "Dominoed Daredoll" on the cover somewhere!
    Pull list:

I'm usually down on Batgirl, but I give this issue props. Outside the sandwich part it was pretty good.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

The funny thing is that this isn't the only instance of superhero sandwich shenanigans this week!

From Avengers Assemble #9:

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I don't think it's THAT bad. Simone is still a good writer and the art is good most of the time. It's what I call 'depressingly average.' The things that make Barbara Gordon special are missing, the pluck, the intelligence, the competancy, the common sense. The bigger problem is that the things the book tries to be about are done better elsewhere, the strong female lead is handled much better in Batwoman. The more dark, depressing tone compared to every previous incarnation of Batgirl is handled better across the bat-line.

It's not Teen Titans or Phantom Stranger bad, and TT had been selling virtually the same as Batgirl until very recently. It's average with nothing that stands out. People buy it like they went to see Thor.
    What's interesting is that I have pretty much the completely opposite read--that this book brings back the pluck and competancy that Barbara has been missing for a LONG time now, and that this is a far stronger and interesting story going on here than in Batwoman, which is just muddy and bland. Also disagree about TT, but agree about Phantom Stranger.

A legitimate complaint for me is that once again the editors are clearly NOT communicating effectively across the crossovers. Because in Batman, Bats commented on the fact that the joker venom made the police officers killed frown, but in Batgirl everyone killed had the standard grim smiles.
    I guess you can say that he was just using the frowny gas for that instance, or he just likes to mix it up.

But anyway, I enjoyed it--it seems like what Joker is going to do is push Barbara into some very interesting extremes and really test just how much of a bleeding heart she has when her back is to the wall. Really looking forward to what happens next.

I found the issue to be interesting and very enjoyable myself. Can't wait to see what the next issue holds and how far Joker is going to push Barbara.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

It's a big week for sandwiches I see.