Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

I prefer Alfreds chicken and jalapeño sandwiches. They're ferocious!

Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    My comments regarding the sandwich come from juvenile, blatant, inherent sexism. Obviously.

As are most comments regarding sandwiches.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51OzId2K6OL.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	104238

kudos to you then.....

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gymer View Post
    I remember reading that her degree is in Library Science now, is that true? I know it's more impressive than it sounds, but for someone who is a police commissioners daughter and a former vigilante at the time she was picking majors it seems a bit off the mark.
    No, Post-Flashpoint (after 09/2011) Barbara has a college degree in Forensic Psychology, but it still has not been stated what level the degree is. Pre-Flashpoint (Pre-09/2011) going all the way back to her initial creation in the late 1960's was when she had a Ph.D. in Library Science.

Quote Originally Posted by Blight View Post
    So success? This is the top selling female super hero book?
    YEP! For two consecutive months now, Batgirl not only cracked 50K in sales, but it topped all other DC female titles!

Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    How so? It doesn't really seem like Batgirl is selling as well as she was a year ago.
    Yawn, that old chestnut again? All the initial New 52 books when they first came out had a settling down period in sales. And a year later now that writer Ms. Simone has been once again paired with artist Ed Benes, the natural combination that enhances each others work is proving to be a qualitiative increase which has led to a new possible marking point for ongoing sales.

But hey, I suppose if this inflated sandwich scene crticism thing is what supports the books detractors in their continuing denial of it's two consecutive months now as DC's TOP SELLING female solo book, then I will continue to be amused in the continuing inherent silliness of it.

Woo-hoo, 3 1/2 more hours until I can post my praise of this great looking issue, based on the preview!
    Last edited by batGRRRl4ever; 11-14-2012 at 06:21 AM. Reason: add
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Amazingly, I agree with batgrrrrrrrrl4ever. I don't think we can dispute the whole sales figures thing. Batgirl currently is the best selling DC book with a female lead.

I have absolutely no idea what 50,000 people see in this terrible, terrible comic though, and have to despair at the state of the comic fandom if this book is what people want.

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    what supports the books detractors in their continuing denial of it's two consecutive months now as DC's TOP SELLING female solo book,
    It can't possibly be due to the fact that no other female solo comic ties into Scott Snyder's massively popular Joker Batman event. Nope. Sales are up for all the DOTF tie in comics solely because they are the awesomest, most flawless books in the entire industry, I guess.
    Jean Grey : What makes you such a bitch, Emma?
    Emma Frost : Breeding, darling. Top class breeding.

Then how do you explain issue #0? THAT wasn't a DOTF tie-in. It's always, "Oh it's all gimmicks, there can't be any possible way that 50K worth of people actually LIKE this book. They simply have to be getting TRICKED into repeatedly buying it, etc. etc." Face reality, the books doing great and there are a LOT of people who are buying and enjoying it, it's really THAT simple.

Hrm....actually that was kinda gloatish of me, and I don't like coming across like that. I just don't understand the repeated attempts to keep wanting to trash a book that a comic reader just doesn't like. My pull-list is always in my sig for all to see, and for those who have payed attention they've seen that I frequently keep tweaking my list, yet for the one's I drop I almost never comment on them afterward as it's a done deal for me and I move forward with my new pull-list of titles. I just don't understand why the same people keep coming back for over past a year now with the same complaints on a title for whatever reasons they just don't like.
    Last edited by batGRRRl4ever; 11-14-2012 at 07:23 AM. Reason: add
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
    Amazingly, I agree with batgrrrrrrrrl4ever. I don't think we can dispute the whole sales figures thing. Batgirl currently is the best selling DC book with a female lead.

I have absolutely no idea what 50,000 people see in this terrible, terrible comic though, and have to despair at the state of the comic fandom if this book is what people want.
    I don't think it's THAT bad. Simone is still a good writer and the art is good most of the time. It's what I call 'depressingly average.' The things that make Barbara Gordon special are missing, the pluck, the intelligence, the competancy, the common sense. The bigger problem is that the things the book tries to be about are done better elsewhere, the strong female lead is handled much better in Batwoman. The more dark, depressing tone compared to every previous incarnation of Batgirl is handled better across the bat-line.

It's not Teen Titans or Phantom Stranger bad, and TT had been selling virtually the same as Batgirl until very recently. It's average with nothing that stands out. People buy it like they went to see Thor.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    I just don't understand the repeated attempts to keep wanting to trash a book that a comic reader just doesn't like. My pull-list is always in my sig for all to see, and for those who have payed attention they've seen that I frequently keep tweaking my list, yet for the one's I drop I almost never comment on them afterward as it's a done deal for me and I move forward with my new pull-list of titles. I just don't understand why the same people keep coming back for over past a year now with the same complaints on a title for whatever reasons they just don't like.
    You are making a a pretty flawed assumption here. You are acting as if the people on many internet message boards are reasoning, logical people whose very identities do not get tied up in long lost crappy characters and don't feel threatened when the one dimensional, primitive paradigm of many Super Hero books gets so overtly challenged by a book that presents a female gasp! as not only a striving hero but a real human with problems, thoughts and aspirations that are not conveyed by grunts, snarls and the occasional silly speech.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From Room X View Post
    It can't possibly be due to the fact that no other female solo comic ties into Scott Snyder's massively popular Joker Batman event. Nope. Sales are up for all the DOTF tie in comics solely because they are the awesomest, most flawless books in the entire industry, I guess.
    So I guess those other months of sales dominance don't count. Batgirl has been creeping up to Wonder Woman's level for months and has finally shot past her. This current sales level may not last but her position in first place probably will. Besides, every Bat book gets the same advantage. But only Babs gets singled out.

Can we get a pool going? What will be next month's desperate excuse for Batgirl's great sales? Right now, we are in the Death of the Family excuse period. What is next from our posters? El Nino? Sunspots? Obama's re election? An insidious plot by DC to keep Steph down because he had a dream that she would rise up and take over as publisher if he let her in a book?
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

She should make another sandwich just for the lulz.
    DC: Wonder Woman
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye
    Creator-Owned: Fables, Fatale, Lazarus, Saga

My review.

Ed Benes only does the art for the first half of the book, Daniel Sempere is once again doing art for the latter half. I DO hope this won't be a trend for this book again, this has been done in the past and also with the just released annual.

LOVE the "do-over" moment that Barbara gets for The Killing Joke, and her literally grinding one of the clowns broken legs down with her foot, OUCH!

The bad, not in and of itself - just past my comfort level, is the level of dark violence to innocent bystanders toward the end of the book. I was creeped out at seeing entire families including children killed via joker venom. Also that Joker proposed to Batgirl with Barbara's mother's chopped off finger for the engagement ring.

A legitimate complaint for me is that once again the editors are clearly NOT communicating effectively across the crossovers. Because in Batman, Bats commented on the fact that the joker venom made the police officers killed frown, but in Batgirl everyone killed had the standard grim smiles.

So overall, LOVED that Bab's got the "do-over" moment, disliked that the artists changed mid-issue, and disliked the level of violence depicted towards innocent bystanders. Definitely psyched to see what is going to happen next issue though, especially as Jim was poisoned with blood thinner in Batman, so if he appears in Batgirl that will have to be a miraculous recovery as I know first hand that it takes DAYS to recover from even moderate excessive blood thinner in your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robbin View Post
    Can we get a pool going? What will be next month's desperate excuse for Batgirl's great sales? Right now, we are in the Death of the Family excuse period. What is next from our posters? El Nino? Sunspots? Obama's re election?
    OK, that was just too funny (but almost quite true)

Quote Originally Posted by Brack360 View Post
    She should make another sandwich just for the lulz.
    That comment is just sad on the face of it, the complaint is just so going through the motions, IMO.
    Last edited by batGRRRl4ever; 11-14-2012 at 08:41 AM.
    Pull list:

So, she makes a sandwich, huh? I might have to get this issue.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post

People BUY it because people LIKE it, nuff' said!

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    People BUY it because people LIKE it, nuff' said!
    Well obviously they like it. I just cannot comprehend how they do.

Wow, the Joker's face looks ridiculous.