Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Yah, I posted a thorough breakdown over in the Batgirl Appreciation Thread: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-Thread/page38
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

I think the whole "make me a sandwich" thing is just showing how mind-controlling the Joker (or whoever that is on the phone) can be. They claim to have her mom. She doesn't want to lose her mom. She will do absolutely ANYTHING to get her mother out of harm's way (wouldn't you?).

Yes, the whole thing that Batgirl/Barbara is a strong, independent woman who will pull through all of this is true and could very well be the way this unwinds in the end. But here and now for issue #14 (and 15, maybe 16), it looks like it will be a rough journey for her. She's been through a lot. She's fragile. She's scared.

Hell, most every story you see works out in a similar fashion. Look back at Batman's court/night of owls stuff. Bruce was in rough shape. It didn't look good... but he pulled through and came out on top.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bstonecrest View Post
    Yes, the whole thing that Batgirl/Barbara is a strong, independent woman who will pull through all of this is true and could very well be the way this unwinds in the end. But here and now for issue #14 (and 15, maybe 16), it looks like it will be a rough journey for her. She's been through a lot. She's fragile. She's scared.

Hell, most every story you see works out in a similar fashion. Look back at Batman's court/night of owls stuff. Bruce was in rough shape. It didn't look good... but he pulled through and came out on top.
    I'm glad you pointed out the inherent sexism in those previous comments. No one is stating that Batman is a "strong, independent MAN" and if he beats up the Joker it will make readers want to roll their eyes. Funny how over 40 yrs later and Batgirl is STILL in her own way fighting for feminism and equal representation for female characters from those who would see her as a "less than" simply because she's female.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bstonecrest View Post
    I think the whole "make me a sandwich" thing is just showing how mind-controlling the Joker (or whoever that is on the phone) can be. They claim to have her mom. She doesn't want to lose her mom. She will do absolutely ANYTHING to get her mother out of harm's way (wouldn't you?).

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    I'm glad you pointed out the inherent sexism in those previous comments. No one is stating that Batman is a "strong, independent MAN" and if he beats up the Joker it will make readers want to roll their eyes. Funny how over 40 yrs later and Batgirl is STILL in her own way fighting for feminism and equal representation for female characters from those who would see her as a "less than" simply because she's female.
    Nice job, both of you. In my exasperation at the pathetic attempts of some posters to do anything possible to criticize the book, I missed that, as obvious as it is. Simone portrays a young woman working hard to be a hero so we get treated to juvenile blatent sexism, as if portraying a heroic woman is somehow different form a man. A man is a hero, a young woman is a silly story that needs to be portrayed as a melodramatic Lifetime movie by insecure posters. It really is pathetic but, alas, this is this comic book world. And people online scratch their heads and wonder how DC can attract female readers.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

My comments regarding the sandwich come from the fact that based off these previews Barbara is terrible at making sandwiches.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    My comments regarding the sandwich come from the fact that based off these previews Barbara is terrible at making sandwiches.
    My comments regarding the sandwich come from juvenile, blatant, inherent sexism. Obviously.

As are most comments regarding sandwiches.

Had someone told me that the line 'Make me a sandwich' was edited in as a joke or a parody, I'd have believed them. Seriously. Fifty thousand people buy this every month?

Damn. Just.. damn.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
    Had someone told me that the line 'Make me a sandwich' was edited in as a joke or a parody, I'd have believed them. Seriously. Fifty thousand people buy this every month?

Damn. Just.. damn.
    GREATEST POST EVER!! Here we get a poster sporting a Stephanie Brown avatar in anguish that the success of Batgirl (ever growing success by the way) pretty much destroys his chance of seeing her as Batgirl ever again. Read the Barbara appreciation thread. We go into detail on how much the comic is growing in sales.

The sandwich thing is funny because the people who bring it up are so oblivious to the dynamic of the book. A psychopath is using this to control Babs and create more terror and tension as she has to follow his instruction as her mother is in ever increasing peril. The fact that the psycho is using something so mundane adds to the creepiness. It is pretty obvious but we still get the non stop criticism. All I see is a great creepy set up in a story with a twisted psychopath creating drama. However, if you think it is stupid, go for it. Our Schadenfreude never gets old.
    Last edited by Brave Sir Robbin; 11-13-2012 at 07:56 PM.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robbin View Post
    ]the success of Batgirl (ever growing success by the way)
    How so? It doesn't really seem like Batgirl is selling as well as she was a year ago.

At any rate, the sandwich situation is funny because it's a poorly written scene. That a scene meant to inspire terror and tension inspired laughter in many means that it missed the mark.
    Last edited by tylenoljones; 11-13-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Why is she listening to him and making a sandwich (or whatever it is) anyway? Its not like the caller can see what she's doing. Shouldn't she be trying to trace where the call is coming from? Isn't she supposed to be a genius with a degree in forensic psychology and eidetic memory?

Oh wait, she's not a genius hacker in this new continuity anymore, my mistake.
    Jean Grey : What makes you such a bitch, Emma?
    Emma Frost : Breeding, darling. Top class breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From Room X View Post
    Why is she listening to him and making a sandwich (or whatever it is) anyway? Its not like the caller can see what she's doing. Shouldn't she be trying to trace where the call is coming from? Isn't she supposed to be a genius with a degree in forensic psychology and eidetic memory?

Actually, it's been scientifically proven that in stressful situations sandwich making can often calm the nerves and releive tension. Obviously the Joker didn't realize that in asking Barbara to make a sandwich, he was actually helping her track him down.

I remember reading that her degree is in Library Science now, is that true? I know it's more impressive than it sounds, but for someone who is a police commissioners daughter and a former vigilante at the time she was picking majors it seems a bit off the mark.

I think this is the first comic preview that actually made me hungry then actually wanting me to buy the issue. So success? This is the top selling female super hero book? Um.. if this is James Jr on the phone then the bar has been set real low then if this is a sequel to the Black Mirror then.
    Behold, I shall be a blight upon the land, and everything I touch shall wither and die!

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    How so? It doesn't really seem like Batgirl is selling as well as she was a year ago.

At any rate, the sandwich situation is funny because it's a poorly written scene. That a scene meant to inspire terror and tension inspired laughter in many means that it missed the mark.
    The scene is meant to be creepy, but it also clearly has an element of dark humor to it too.

What would it matter if she traced the call, he's using a pay phone. And how do u know the caller can't see what she's doing? Jokers seems to be keeping tabs on them all, and in the scene seems to know when she finished making the sandwich.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-14-2012 at 02:32 AM.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Sandwich looks better then the ones i make. My sandwiches usually just involve meat, a condiment, and bread. Or just peanut butter and jelly. She's at least cutting up a tomato, and putting on some lettuce.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-14-2012 at 02:33 AM.