Page 557 of 674 FirstFirst ... 57457507547553554555556557558559560561567607657 ... LastLast
Results 8,341 to 8,355 of 10108
  1. #8341
    Pure Hellcatnip Lady_Alternate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Over Here
    Posts
    15,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Impulse View Post
    You're just prejudiced. Have you read any Superman?
    Yes. Both silver age stuff as a kid, JLA stuff in the 90s, and various issues in the past decade.

    Its not merely a case of disliking writers or phases, I have little interest in the core concept of the character. I'm like that with much of DC, to be fair, as I don't feel that the golden-age values that serve as the foundations for many of their characters are relatable to me; I have very little empathy or connection to them.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

  2. #8342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    Yes. Both silver age stuff as a kid, JLA stuff in the 90s, and various issues in the past decade.

    Its not merely a case of disliking writers or phases, I have little interest in the core concept of the character. I'm like that with much of DC, to be fair, as I don't feel that the golden-age values that serve as the foundations for many of their characters are relatable to me; I have very little empathy or connection to them.
    That's fair enough. I completely understand that there are people there that just won't like Superman.

    It doesn't have much to do with the original discussion though. We were saying that DeConnick's Ms. Marvel is bad, but both myself and Bebop are fans of the character. While Bebop doesn't like the concept of the series, I gave it a shot and found it to be lacking. You brought up my liking Superman to indicate some sense of bad taste on my part, when you yourself said "you don't really get to dictate what other people like or dislike."
    If you don't got it, get it. If you don't get it... figure it out.

  3. #8343
    Neo Evangelical Geniuses bebopeva88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    33,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeets View Post
    Asrar Eva sketch

    GAHHHHHHHHH

    Where's the rest of Asuka?

    WHERE'S THE REST OF ASUKA?!?!?!?

    ARGHHHHHHHH!!!
    "It's pretty much as bebopeva88 says really. He is wise and the knower of all things!" -- Ben Templesmith

    "Your opinion is like 10 mortal men's." RolandJP

  4. #8344
    Neo Evangelical Geniuses bebopeva88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    33,523

    Default

    For the record, I preordered Captain Marvel from the get go, and bought up through #10 before dropping it after trying it, because I didn't want to keep preordering it blindly.

    Andrade coming on board more than solidified my decision.
    "It's pretty much as bebopeva88 says really. He is wise and the knower of all things!" -- Ben Templesmith

    "Your opinion is like 10 mortal men's." RolandJP

  5. #8345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aziz Abbasi View Post
    That last part is what I don't like about his motto, at least, but most superheroes fight for Truth & Justice
    There's a difference between standing for America, and standing for The American Way. I'm English, but the idea of The American Way appeals to me greatly.

    I had trouble putting what I found so appealing about The American Way into words, because it's something intangible. I found this quote on Wikipedia, by a chap named Will Herberg from 1960. Of course, I'm not saying this is the America we know today, but I think the idea of The American Way surpasses any moment in history.

    The American Way of life is individualistic, dynamic, pragmatic. It affirms the supreme value and dignity of the individual; it stresses incessant activity on his part, for he is never to rest but is always to be striving to "get ahead"; it defines an ethic of self-reliance, merit, and character, and judges by achievement. The "American Way of Life" is humanitarian, "forward-looking", optimistic. Americans are easily the most generous and philanthropic people in the world, in terms of their ready and unstinting response to suffering anywhere on the globe. The American believes in progress, in self-improvement, and quite fanatically in education.
    That sounds pretty good to me.
    Last edited by Kid Impulse; 12-27-2012 at 03:39 AM.
    If you don't got it, get it. If you don't get it... figure it out.

  6. #8346
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    If I were you I would have been suspicious from the start considering who the OP was.
    I was. But it was still fun.

  7. #8347
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    So Superman to Lady Alternate is like Wolverine to me.

  8. #8348
    Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Doomstadt, Latveria
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    I was so indoctrinated by Stan Lee into thinking DC was Brand Echhh that we never asked out Dad to get any of their line. When you look at the covers of a lot of DC stuff that came out when Marvel was starting to hit their stride, the DC covers looked kind of silly or pedestrian compared to a Kirby, Steranko or Gene Colan one.

    I've never read anything DC for an extended run but I think its undeniably true that the first two Superman movies helped elevate the genre's status in the entertainment industry. The production values for that time were first rate and the casting of two Oscar winners in key roles was a bold move too. It also helped that they got lucky in discovering Christopher Reeve, a near perfect fit for the role. That it Grossed $300 million worldwide was a huge victory for the genre IMO and maybe the significance gets lost by the younger generation like LA.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

  9. #8349
    Neo Evangelical Geniuses bebopeva88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    33,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I was so indoctrinated by Stan Lee into thinking DC was Brand Echhh that we never asked out Dad to get any of their line. When you look at the covers of a lot of DC stuff that came out when Marvel was starting to hit their stride, the DC covers looked kind of silly or pedestrian compared to a Kirby, Steranko or Gene Colan one.

    I've never read anything DC for an extended run but I think its undeniably true that the first two Superman movies helped elevate the genre's status in the entertainment industry. The production values for that time were first rate and the casting of two Oscar winners in key roles was a bold move too. It also helped that they got lucky in discovering Christopher Reeve, a near perfect fit for the role. That it Grossed $300 million worldwide was a huge victory for the genre IMO and maybe the significance gets lost by the younger generation like LA.
    She just hates him because he's a "conservative", straight, strong white male.

    THE HORROR!!!
    "It's pretty much as bebopeva88 says really. He is wise and the knower of all things!" -- Ben Templesmith

    "Your opinion is like 10 mortal men's." RolandJP

  10. #8350
    Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Doomstadt, Latveria
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bebopeva88 View Post
    She just hates him because he's a "conservative", straight, strong white male.

    THE HORROR!!!
    Yeah, I suppose there's that too....and she can't relate to his golden age values. I think if you can't identify with any of the ones in Kid Impulse's post then well, I don't know what to say about someone that feels that way. What in there can't you relate to? Heroes like Superman and Captain America were the products of the Great Depression and WWII. To those who couldn't afford much in regards to entertainment, they were a little inexpensive piece of hope for a better world in a time of great upheaval and war.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-27-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

  11. #8351
    THE NEW IAM KING! Kerny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On top of the IAM mountain
    Posts
    5,710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bebopeva88 View Post
    She just hates him because he's a "conservative", straight, strong white male.

    THE HORROR!!!
    Well currently, he's younger and less of all that stuff(except white), so maybe she should have gave him a try?
    "I for one welcome our new Kernel overlord."-Skeets

  12. #8352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bebopeva88 View Post
    She just hates him because he's a "conservative", straight, strong white male.

    THE HORROR!!!
    Careful there , hombre.

    You are being to sound like a radical. Tho it is quite true.

    I wonder if comics or entertainment in general will ever have the balls to show that some strong hetero imagery gets hated on.

    Just for hetero's sake. i mean we all have prejudices...the trick is not to turn them into hindrances wherein someone else is effected by them.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

  13. #8353
    Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Doomstadt, Latveria
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    Careful there , hombre.

    You are being to sound like a radical. Tho it is quite true.

    I wonder if comics or entertainment in general will ever have the balls to show that some strong hetero imagery gets hated on.

    Just for hetero's sake. i mean we all have prejudices...the trick is not to turn them into hindrances wherein someone else is effected by them.
    Yeah, it is kind of weird. I think it shows whether or not your comfortable in your own skin so to speak. If you are, then you're not that worried about it or feel threatened by it all.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

  14. #8354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yeah, I suppose there's that too....and she can't relate to his golden age values. I think if you can't identify with any of the ones in Kid Impulse's post then well, I don't know what to say about someone that feels that way. What in there can't you relate to? Heroes like Superman and Captain America were the products of the Great Depression and WWII. To those who couldn't afford much in regards to entertainment, they were a little inexpensive piece of hope for a better world in a time of great upheaval and war.
    Steve Rogers' speech about not wanting to kill anyone, he just hates bullies is one of the many reasons Captain America is my favourite Avengers solo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerny View Post
    Well currently, he's younger and less of all that stuff(except white), so maybe she should have gave him a try?
    He's never really been all that conservative either.
    If you don't got it, get it. If you don't get it... figure it out.

  15. #8355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yeah, it is kind of weird. I think it shows whether or not your comfortable in your own skin so to speak. If you are, then you're not that worried about it or feel threatened by it all.
    Its like Hawkeye. I mean he is a walking hetero advert. After he shoots an arrow I keep expecting the Coors BEER Train to fly across a comic panel with the "people all-over the world..join hands" song blaring.

    And depending on my mood..I like it. Sometimes i dont.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •