Page 466 of 674 FirstFirst ... 366416456462463464465466467468469470476516566 ... LastLast
Results 6,976 to 6,990 of 10108
  1. #6976
    Back Issue Slayer Skeets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,650

    Default

    did you actually read the comic?
    Stacks on stacks on stacks

  2. #6977
    Banana Stand Mngr Hurnslice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,188

    Default

    Adding to the crazy... I just got Lincoln, The Master, and Silver Linings Playbook. Officially the best year, by far.
    That is the Hurnslice I've come to know. Slightly confused but armed to the teeth and willing to eff you up! - RedRonin

  3. #6978
    Thread Ender RedRonin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    29,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    What gets to me most about Arena is that it is shallow. It's so self indulgent in "We're killing off characters, it's so extreme!"
    It lacks commentary. If it was saying something about how teenage characters are used poorly in comics, then it might have some more merits. But that whole first issue was "Look how great Mary Sue Arcade is!"
    What was Avenger Academy's commentary?

    Hell, there's a fan fiction I read where a guy basically has the same powers and uses them over cheerleaders that reads pretty much the same as this story.
    But if he made them blueberries it would have been fine.
    "RR your powers of Observation are Godlike." - RolandJP

  4. #6979
    Thread Ender RedRonin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    29,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurnslice View Post
    Adding to the crazy... I just got Lincoln, The Master, and Silver Linings Playbook. Officially the best year, by far.
    While I'm sure you watch these with Ladyslice, I prefer to picture you watching these with Babyslice next to you while a drink and tell him what you like and don't about the movies.
    "RR your powers of Observation are Godlike." - RolandJP

  5. #6980
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRonin View Post
    But if he made them blueberries it would have been fine.
    It was an inflation story, and I didn't like it when I read it then either.

    What was Avenger Academy's commentary?
    That these trouble kids have a shot of being heroes and not condemned a villainous fate. I always thought Academy was hopeful for the future.

    did you actually read the comic?
    Yes. Majority of it was Arcade being self-indulgent and a Mary Sue.

  6. #6981
    Banana Stand Mngr Hurnslice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRonin View Post
    While I'm sure you watch these with Ladyslice, I prefer to picture you watching these with Babyslice next to you while a drink and tell him what you like and don't about the movies.
    You're not so far off. It's a good thing bbslice wasn't around for War Horse.
    That is the Hurnslice I've come to know. Slightly confused but armed to the teeth and willing to eff you up! - RedRonin

  7. #6982
    Taste the Bitch Pudding. Green Griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    A place of Idiots nd Coconuts
    Posts
    8,129

    Default


  8. #6983
    Back Issue Slayer Skeets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Yes. Majority of it was Arcade being self-indulgent and a Mary Sue.
    Why would you bother reading it after spending the past few months doing nothing but complaining about how awful it was going to be?
    Stacks on stacks on stacks

  9. #6984
    Thread Ender RedRonin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    29,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    It was an inflation story, and I didn't like it when I read it then either.
    Yeah sounds weird. If only we could get back to regular stories where they explode.

    That these trouble kids have a shot of being heroes and not condemned a villainous fate. I always thought Academy was hopeful for the future.
    Maybe it was. And Avengers Arena is about the awful truth that life will crush you and you have no control over anything. See? It has commentary. Give it all the Eisners.

    Yes. Majority of it was Arcade being self-indulgent and a Mary Sue.
    Villains tend to be self-indulgent.
    "RR your powers of Observation are Godlike." - RolandJP

  10. #6985
    Thread Ender RedRonin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    29,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurnslice View Post
    You're not so far off. It's a good thing bbslice wasn't around for War Horse.
    I don't know, it might been funny if he grew up hating horses, but never knew why.
    "RR your powers of Observation are Godlike." - RolandJP

  11. #6986
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeets View Post
    Why would you bother reading it after spending the past few months doing nothing but complaining about how awful it was going to be?
    Ripping off the bandaid, curiosity, and being proven right that everything I was afraid of came true.

    Yeah sounds weird. If only we could get back to regular stories where they explode.
    Found it.
    http://alecdeluxe.deviantart.com/art...lion-167103617

    Maybe it was. And Avengers Arena is about the awful truth that life will crush you and you have no control over anything. See? It has commentary. Give it all the Eisners.
    After talking with others, the story has no real pace. The shocking moment happened too quickly with little buildup, and most of it was just a very maddening experience. You had a gut feeling that you knew what was going to happen the whole time.

    Villains tend to be self-indulgent.
    This was to the point where they were treating Arcade like he was clever when he was really just delivering hammy dialogue.

  12. #6987
    Back Issue Slayer Skeets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Ripping off the bandaid, curiosity, and being proven right that everything I was afraid of came true.
    So will you stop talking about it now?
    Stacks on stacks on stacks

  13. #6988
    Thread Ender RedRonin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    29,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Griffin View Post
    "RR your powers of Observation are Godlike." - RolandJP

  14. #6989
    Thread Ender RedRonin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    29,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    After talking with others, the story has no real pace. The shocking moment happened too quickly with little buildup, and most of it was just a very maddening experience. You had a gut feeling that you knew what was going to happen the whole time.
    I think when you get together with your circle jerk you feel justified in thinking what you've been projecting on to this series from day one is correct.

    This was to the point where they were treating Arcade like he was clever when he was really just delivering hammy dialogue.
    You must hate Doom.
    "RR your powers of Observation are Godlike." - RolandJP

  15. #6990
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Griffin View Post
    Was that GLADOS?!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •