Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Im sure Marvel sent in special spies to cause more discord.
    Why would they need to do that? I can see them sending in spies to get funny vids of all the comedy....
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Green Lantern didn't work, Flash is a bad idea.
    Why would Flash be a "bad idea"?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    Why would Flash be a "bad idea"?
    Well, the Green Lantern comparison comes in the fact that neither is a really "big name" hero to the general public, if Green Lantern didn't work i see no reason to beleive Flash would.
    The second is, flash is a hard guy to put into a movie context, his power is he runs fast at it's most basic level.
    That's not a terribly interesting power, if he is fighting normal criminals he beats them before they know they have been beaten, if he is fighting another guy he almost has to have superspeed also.

No one knew who Iron Man was and that film did big bucks. As to the Flash's enemy in a film, it's obvious that it would be the Reverse Flash. But he's has foes who aren't speedsters and they've been a threat to him.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    This is why I'm concerned about the potential JLA movie. There's no bigger vision behind the movie beyond "throw our heroes together like Marvel did"

Well, I agree with you on point #2. But in regards to point #1, I think the last 10 years have proven that no big company is 'failure proof'
    Warner Brothers is a massive multifaceted corporation which has huge film divisions but also television, Time Warner Cable, DC Comics. It survived a failure of a network launching (WB) it can survive some bad years for films.

2007 Mutant League Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post
    Warner Brothers is a massive multifaceted corporation which has huge film divisions but also television, Time Warner Cable, DC Comics. It survived a failure of a network launching (WB) it can survive some bad years for films.
    Probably worth adding that while a lot of us are only focused on superhero movies, WB can make money by making other kinds of movies too. DC is just one egg to them, not the whole damn basket.

errror in posting
    Cyclops ad portas

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post
    Two things WB is to big to fail, and monopoly laws would keep a merger of Disney/WB from happening
    Nothing is too big to fail.. Anyone one that tells you that is a snake oil sales man.

And I don't think entertaiment industry is included in the Anti-trust laws.

And ofcourse it wouldn't be the first time the goverment side with Uncle walt....
    Cyclops ad portas

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Probably worth adding that while a lot of us are only focused on superhero movies, WB can make money by making other kinds of movies too. DC is just one egg to them, not the whole damn basket.
    Thank you. People seem to forget that WB had the ultra successful Harry Potter seris for 8 films in the last decade (the most financially successful film series either). Then it's subsidary New Line has had The Lord of the Rings series which is starting back up with the Hobbit series coming up. Then there's the Hangover series. Thats not even mentioning Nolan's Batman film series. Honestly they've been in the fortunate position of not really having to rely on superhero films.

Just in the next few years they have coming out:
    The Hobbit: An Unexpexted Journey
    Gangster Squad
    Jack the Giant Slayer
    A Mortal Kombat film
    The Great Gatsby
    The Hangover 3
    Man of Steel
    Pacific Rim
    300: Rise of an Empire
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
    Journey 3
    LEGO
    All You Need Is Kill (Tom Cruise flick)
    Godzilla
    The Hobbit: There and Back Again

And people are freaking out that they might go out of buisness. It's such a narrow way to look at the buisness.

I dont think anybody is realistically saying WB is going to go out of business.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

No people are just making jokes that Disney is going to buy them. Thats not even a thought in the back of the head of anybody who is reasonably assessing the situation. So much doom and gloom because Green Lantern sucked and they haven't got around to making a Flash and Justice League movie.

Worst case scenario, I could see WB eventually selling off DC if everything DC related goes to shit.

But even that's a long shot.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Worst case scenario, I could see WB eventually selling off DC if everything DC related goes to shit.

If for no other reason than that they can still make a stupid amount of money off Batman via movies/tv/video games.

That will never happen because having access to the DC rights means more than movies. TV alone reaps them tons of revenue based on DC properties. Time/Warner uses a good bit of DC to fuel it's animated shows for Cartoon Network and then there is the direct to DVD/Blu-Ray market as well. They can make a mediocre movie like Green Lantern but then they've got the cartoon to make up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Green Lantern didn't work, Flash is a bad idea.
    Green Lantern didn't work because it's a terrible movie, not because the concept is flawed. I would argue that they didn't explore the concept enough and the film suffered because of it. It's a high fantasy sci-fi soap opera, keeping him on Earth for over half of the movie and the cliche romance subplot killed the movie. That's not even going into the downright stupid stuff like using the ring to make a Hot Wheels race track. It was bad writing, and reminded me of hokey stuff like the 90's Superboy TV show. It was a movie that was snubbing it's nose at comics, not embracing the medium like Marvel's movies do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
    Green Lantern didn't work because it's a terrible movie, not because the concept is flawed. I would argue that they didn't explore the concept enough and the film suffered because of it. It's a high fantasy sci-fi soap opera, keeping him on Earth for over half of the movie and the cliche romance subplot killed the movie. That's not even going into the downright stupid stuff like using the ring to make a Hot Wheels race track. It was bad writing, and reminded me of hokey stuff like the 90's Superboy TV show. It was a movie that was snubbing it's nose at comics, not embracing the medium like Marvel's movies do.
    I don't think it was snubbing its nose at comics. There was too much of the comics in GL for that statement to make sense.

What it did was try too hard to duplicate the formula of Iron Man. Right down to the universe-building elements of elder black secret agents. Instead of trying to make a good Green Lantern movie. Also, it just wasn't very good. But if anything, in a lot of ways, it was overly reverential to the comics. Just the comics of the last couple of years.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com