Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Action Comics #17 Cover

Return of the Hyper-Adapter?

Now this be intriguing. Is Darkseid going to be revealed to be the true big bad after Vyndktvx?
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-10-2012 at 09:51 PM.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

end of an era. ...too short-lived. bye Mr. Morrison.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

The fact that Morrison is leaving, is kinda weighing down the excitement I would have for this otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnhop View Post

Return of the Hyper-Adapter?
    Could be, but that's also very reminiscent of the 'true form' look we saw for Bat-Mite in RIP, so I think it's more likely to be some manifestation of the 5D Imp.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Now this be intriguing. Is Darkseid going to be revealed to be the true big bad after Vyndktvx?
    Don't see the connection. Why do you think it could be Darkseid?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    end of an era. ...too short-lived. bye Mr. Morrison.
    Quoted for being the freakin' truth. One can only hope he comes back one day.

And who's The Hyper-Adapter?
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

Thanks Morrison for giving us 17(pus 0) issues of Action every month. You will be very missed :( Let's hope these final issues go out with a bang.
    DC/Marvel reader. Mostly Superman,Batman,X-Men,Avengers fan...guess I am a fan of most comics.

Easier just to post this quick synopsis from comicvine:
    After striking Batman with the Omega Effect, Darkseid used a Mother Box-esque device called an Ancestor Box. Within this box seems to be some sort of hyperdimensional creature Darkseid refers to as a "Hyper-Adapter". The box seems to be able to warp time and space, accounting for Batman's travels through time during the Return of Bruce Wayne. The Hyper-Adapter may have some connection to the Hyper Fauna fought by Batman in the aforementioned return, or the sentient Omega fought by Shiloh Norman.
    An interesting idea if Morrison used it again, this time for New 52 Superman. Of course its just as plausible as stated above that this is just another representation of Vyndktvx.

This is gonna be awesome but it's sad Grant has to leave I wish he could have done a huge sprawling epic like what he did with batman.

Makes me think of Starro...
    Army of Crime

Image: Fatale, Saga
    Dark Horse: Mind Mgmt
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Thor: God of Thunder

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Easier just to post this quick synopsis from comicvine:

An interesting idea if Morrison used it again, this time for New 52 Superman. Of course its just as plausible as stated above that this is just another representation of Vyndktvx.
    Or Vyndktvx, not only Darkseid, could be capable of summoning a Hyper Adapter. Or maybe Vyndktvx IS a Hyper Adapter? Could the creature accessed by Darkseid and his Ancestor Box have been from the Fifth Dimension?

By the way, how are you guys pronouncing that name? Vindictive X?

Or the Hyper Adapter is a 5D Imp.

Since, again, we saw that this was the 'true form' of Batmite in RIP.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post

I was thinking Vindictivix.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Could be, but that's also very reminiscent of the 'true form' look we saw for Bat-Mite in RIP, so I think it's more likely to be some manifestation of the 5D Imp.
    I didn't even think about that, but yeah, at NYCC Morrison described the creature on Bat-Mite's back as being a glimpse of what he would really look like in the 5th Dimension. He said Bat-Mite assumes the cute/anthropomorphic form to make Bruce more comfortable with being confronted by something truly terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Or Vyndktvx, not only Darkseid, could be capable of summoning a Hyper Adapter. Or maybe Vyndktvx IS a Hyper Adapter? Could the creature accessed by Darkseid and his Ancestor Box have been from the Fifth Dimension?
    I like both of these ideas. I tend towards the latter.

I was pronouncing it Vindictivix (like in matrix), but I like it as Vindictive X (or Vindictivex) also. The fact that it's kind of both really appeals to me. Also, fits with -ex/-ix latin suffixes.

Transfix really stuck out to me because of how similar v and f can sound. Where "-fix" is from "figere" (to pierce, fasten; to thrust in), I'm reminded of Pierce/Hurt/Wayne:

- Wayne ("to strip/empty of all contents; of a person, nation, institution: To decline in power, importance, prosperity, or renown")
    - Hurt ("to injure, do harm or mischief to; to give mental pain to; to grieve, distress, vex, offend")
    - Pierce ("to affect keenly or deeply with emotion (as pain, grief, etc.); to penetrate; to pass or break through or into something, esp. as or in the manner of a sharp-pointed object")

Since Vindictive is 'from L. vindicta "revenge"' with -f/vix it can be read literally as: "to fasten revenge" or "to attach revenge" or "to pierce with revenge." Or, more nominally, "Fixed Revenge"/"Determined Vengeance."

That, to me, screams Hyper-Adapter.

He is a directed revenge (a weapon/means of revenge)--the embodiment of vengeance.

Also reminds me of Vercingétorix and the Luciferian connotations of any legendary Rebel. It has a very Roman sound.

Really, the -ix is just a way of making Vindictive (adj) into a name/proper noun with a cool latin/Roman suffix and sci-fi/magical spin: Vyndktvx.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Or the Hyper Adapter is a 5D Imp.

Since, again, we saw that this was the 'true form' of Batmite in RIP.
    I think this is the right answer.

I pronounce it Vindictive. I keep the last X silent. Mostly just because I think it sounds better.