Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrex mailedbypostman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalith View Post
    Depends on the scope, you get some pretty high-end mutants.
    Meh. I don't see it happening.
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrex

A Thinking Man's Rhino Omegalith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mailedbypostman1 View Post
    Meh. I don't see it happening.
    I dunno, these are entities that can be freely called upon to back spells: Half the time they aren't even paying attention to what a mage is doing with that power: Strange called on Dormammu quite a few times before they ever met.

Being left open to the possibility of someone vacuuming up a trickle of their power without consent (Or even awareness, given that this is just some teen who's randomly mutated the ability to piss off dimensional overlords) doesn't strike me as impossible.

Random Teen: "Huh, why is my head on fire?"

Dormammu: "SOMEONE IS CALLING UPON MY STRENGTH WITHOUT FILING THE PROPER PAPERWORK! CLEARLY THIS IS STRANGE'S DOING!"
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.
    An Inconvenience of Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    There are magical beings, of course, who have magical superpowers.

I remember the old Marvel Superheroes RPG used to make a big deal about the different origins of Superheroes, and actually give different advantages depending on whether one was a mutant, an altered human, an alien, etc. It got to the point that by the 'ultimate powers book' there were about 30+ possibilties for a starting character.
    The overall game wasn't very good, but that Ultimate Powers book and the Magic supplement were both outstanding. I also liked some of those bigger roster books, like Avengers Coast to Coast, for the really detailed character stats.

Regarding this topic, I like the idea of Reed being able to learn a lot about magic but lacking the innate talent to use it effectively. Yeah, he's super-brilliant, but not every skill is based on raw intelligence and knowledge. Art, for example. It's entirely possible for somebody to learn a vast amount about art, including various artists, styles and movements, without ever gaining the ability to create even average quality artwork. I don't recall every seeing Reed do any great artwork, just formulas and maybe rough sketches or blueprints. Steve Rogers is nowhere near as smart as Reed, but has some ability as an artist, though it's probably been decades since that has been mentioned in a comic.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

I don't think we quite need to go as high as Shuma-Gorath to hit beings whom no mutant whose name isn't Phoenix wants honked off at them. :) Cytorrak should fit into that catagory quite well.

A Thinking Man's Rhino Omegalith's Avatar

I don't think we quite need to go as high as Shuma-Gorath to hit beings whom no mutant whose name isn't Phoenix wants honked off at them. :) Cytorrak should fit into that catagory quite well.
    Yeah, the reason I singled that out is because usually the others only have limited influence when they aren't in our universe, making them a slightly distant threat until suddenly they've invaded in some big crossover event and you're one of the priority targets or their wrath, whereas channeling Shuma-Gorath would start turning you into Shuma-Gorath.

...Actually, he'd probably be totally cool with you doing it for exactly that reason.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.
    An Inconvenience of Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalith View Post
    Yeah, the reason I singled that out is because usually the others only have limited influence when they aren't in our universe, making them a slightly distant threat until suddenly they've invaded in some big crossover event and you're one of the priority targets or their wrath, whereas channeling Shuma-Gorath would start turning you into Shuma-Gorath.
    It's a problem. But I suspect the bolded part might make things uncomfortable for mutants Siphoning Without Permission™. :)

Even without the big crossover thing, there's all kinds of crap they can do, from sending sorcerers to mess with you, to actually getting honked off enough to kick their way into our universe, grab you, and bugger off. Justified, to boot.

Since they wouldn't be sticking around to pull any weirdness, by the time the Celestials wake up and take notice, or some other Big Name gets involved, it's a matter of following giant flaming footprints back into the dimensional rift.

[Celestial #1] I'm not going after him. Not into there.

[Celestial #2] Because he stole a mortal? Who was stealing power from him? Uh-uh.

[Celestial #3] Screw it. Someone close the door, and let's go back to sleep.

...Actually, he'd probably be totally cool with you doing it for exactly that reason.
    Absolutely.

About that, I lied. The Transient Guest's Avatar

Did I seriously sneak this one by?

Quote Originally Posted by The Transient Guest View Post
    Next he'll be remember that Wattomb's wind got broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Torment View Post
    To be fair, Watoomb's Wand cannot be broken if it is not whole.

Therefore, there are periods of time where it is not being broken by its current owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Transient Guest View Post
    What if that owner just had taco bell?
    Siriel:
    Transient just likes to do that.

Why he keeps picking up ridiculous arguments and then try to defend them, I will never know.

If this is typical Reed in terms of mentality and such...

He would be a horrible choice for a magic user.

His mind cannot think of magic that well as to science. That time Skin Armor Doom sent Franklin to Hell and beat up Strange,Strange was trying to help out Reed.

And Reed failed, miserably. The one item that worked was a blasting relic. That fired when Reed told the truth. (As in head told he was admiting he had no idea how it worked.)

But yeah, I feel Reed*could* learn.But he *should*not bother.His tech is pretty high in scale.

Doom already knew magic, and has a substantial capacity for magic himself. Greater than most people in Marvel, great enough that Strange was capable of teaching him all kinds of potent stuff.

Additionally, if we're talking about Classic Marvel Sorcery, and referencing 'Triumph and Torment', Doom flat out states that the battle was taking every bit of his WILL to win.

Because it's not just the gestures. It's the focus, the magical aptitude, the training toward controlling the energies, etc.

And even with those things and his enormous will, the moment Doom tried to use a higher-level, copied spell, he couldn't get it right despite mimicking the gestures perfectly, and Strange threw it back in his face like it was nothing (Crimson Bands).

Why? Because he hadn't been properly trained to cast the spell. Just mimicking gestures and incantations doesn't cut it.
    Do you have the scans of this by chance? This type of thing comes up a lot in Rumbler's league.
    Rumbler's League with the Team Beasts of Burden 3rd place

My card

Quote Originally Posted by Stigma Rex View Post
    Do you have the scans of this by chance? This type of thing comes up a lot in Rumbler's league.
    Juuust to note as far as something in that, Doom later on specifically learned how to cast the spell in question just fine, as far as being able to do it of himself. He did have to take the time to be trained in it though.

Doom's mother was a gypsy witch, so he probably has an innate aptitude for magic.

Randomly, I am now thinking of the famous Arthur C. Clarke quote, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Reed could certainly fool many people into believing that he wielded magic, if he wanted.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Juuust to note as far as something in that, Doom later on specifically learned how to cast the spell in question just fine, as far as being able to do it of himself. He did have to take the time to be trained in it though.
    Absolutely.

Doom's magic, at this point, is pretty darned impressive. One notes that oen of his trainers is Classic Strange himself.

I don' thave the scan, because Triumph and Torment sits on my shelf, hardcopy version. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Doom's mother was a gypsy witch, so he probably has an innate aptitude for magic.
    Doom's mother was a fair hand at the magic herself - certainly not a weaksauce sorcerer.

Veteran Member

I could see Reed doing alright as a magical healer. This would appeal to him, and while he'd never be a magical healer on the same level as Strange or even Amanda Sefton, he would show more aptitude for it then straight up magical dueling spells.
    Good God man! Why are you slapping a monkey.

Foley, Stop healing the assassin!!!

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post

Randomly, I am now thinking of the famous Arthur C. Clarke quote, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Reed could certainly fool many people into believing that he wielded magic, if he wanted.
    Quantum science is basically magic anyway as far as the laymen is concerned.
    It's a lie! My pants were off the entire time!

I've got a new site for RPGs: Total Pantaloonacy

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Quantum science is basically magic anyway as far as the laymen is concerned.
    Pretty much agreed in that regard. Different terms than magic, but can sure act as magic.