Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....

Quote Originally Posted by The Transient Guest View Post
    You're wondering about a mutant that can cast the crimson bands as a natural action and not by using a spell?
    Yeah, that kind of thing just cannot happen. Because the whole point of stuff like that is that the entity that is the source of these spells (in this case, Cyttorak) allows you to use the spells. If you're just born with the ability to use the spells, then the power's coming from you, not from Cytorrak. In which case.... it's just a mutant power that LOOKS like magic, and not ACTUALLY magic.

Chaos magic (which exists, dammit) is slightly different in that it's drawing upon the "natural" power of chaos that exists in all universes. Like the speed-force, only it's in every universe, and somehow makes a lot more sense in application.

If you're talking about a mutant APTITUDE towards magic, then what would be the point? To make up a random name as an example.....

Gene Genie: "Ha! I have the ability to learn the greatest spells in all the multiverse, due to my mutant genes!"
    Doc Strange: "Uh... so do I, in my 80s stonewash jeans, and Sentinels aren't trying to kill me on sight."

If people WITHOUT a mutant gene can reach the pinnacle of magic, why would a mutant aptitude be any use, except as a targeting system for Sentinels?
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

That was actually the "oh no it doesn't" incident I was remembering. I'm a Classic Strange mark, not to your level but I try, so having him say something like that after seeing him use the stuff was more than a little confusing.
    Agreed - that part was a bit of a 'Whaaaaat?' point for me to read. Very....Strange.

*gales of laughter*

Hooo, I slay myself. :)

A Thinking Man's Rhino Omegalith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Yeah, that kind of thing just cannot happen. Because the whole point of stuff like that is that the entity that is the source of these spells (in this case, Cyttorak) allows you to use the spells. If you're just born with the ability to use the spells, then the power's coming from you, not from Cytorrak. In which case.... it's just a mutant power that LOOKS like magic, and not ACTUALLY magic.

Chaos magic (which exists, dammit) is slightly different in that it's drawing upon the "natural" power of chaos that exists in all universes. Like the speed-force, only it's in every universe, and somehow makes a lot more sense in application.

If you're talking about a mutant APTITUDE towards magic, then what would be the point? To make up a random name as an example.....

Gene Genie: "Ha! I have the ability to learn the greatest spells in all the multiverse, due to my mutant genes!"
    Doc Strange: "Uh... so do I, in my 80s stonewash jeans, and Sentinels aren't trying to kill me on sight."

If people WITHOUT a mutant gene can reach the pinnacle of magic, why would a mutant aptitude be any use, except as a targeting system for Sentinels?
    Well, you could have the mutant ability to siphon power from Cyytorak.

Would probably result in him constantly sending the Juggernaut to kill you though.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.
    An Inconvenience of Heroes.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

That was actually the "oh no it doesn't" incident I was remembering. I'm a Classic Strange mark, not to your level but I try, so having him say something like that after seeing him use the stuff was more than a little confusing.

Next he'll be remember that Wattomb's wind got broken.
    Well, that was all retconned out by it being an illusion Wanda created. Beast or somebody goes to Strange to confront him about it, and Strange is all... "Uh, yeah, of course there's Chaos Magic. Duh." and "I never actually showed up to that fight, I was doing something else." He calls up and image of the fight, and it looks like Wanda is actually casting a spell while she's "falling back unconscious" to create the image of Strange.

This is confusing to me, seeing as how magic is apparently a little bit dependent on natural capacity then....how would an X gene....

I'm having trouble wording this.

You're wondering about a mutant that can cast the crimson bands as a natural action and not by using a spell?
    Essentially, yes. Like how classic Wanda points at something and Chaos Magic happens.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 11-13-2012 at 04:26 AM.
    It's a lie! My pants were off the entire time!

I've got a new site for RPGs: Total Pantaloonacy

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post

Okay, see, this is the sort of explanation I was looking for. Now it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Agreed - that part was a bit of a 'Whaaaaat?' point for me to read. Very....Strange.

*gales of laughter*

Hooo, I slay myself. :)
    And I thought my puns were Wong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    And I thought my puns were Wong.
    Horrid. Truly horrid. :)

As an aside, you have characters like Clan Destine, whose origins are magical but who are born with powersets that are more in-line with what you expect from mutants (telepathy, super-strength, hyper-senses, etc.) and who don't usually know magic unless they make a study of it.

And we forgot about Meggan from Excalibur =p
    [Insert signature here ]

There are magical beings, of course, who have magical superpowers.

I remember the old Marvel Superheroes RPG used to make a big deal about the different origins of Superheroes, and actually give different advantages depending on whether one was a mutant, an altered human, an alien, etc. It got to the point that by the 'ultimate powers book' there were about 30+ possibilties for a starting character.

I remember the old Marvel Superheroes RPG used to make a big deal about the different origins of Superheroes, and actually give different advantages depending on whether one was a mutant, an altered human, an alien, etc. It got to the point that by the 'ultimate powers book' there were about 30+ possibilties for a starting character.
    42 initial options in the Ultimate Powers Book, but then since two of those were "Compound" and "Changeling", which required you to select/roll somewhere between two and five more types from the list, the number of final combinations was ridiculously high.

I remember one character I created this way (just by rolling) was a cyborg with a snake's head, a faun's legs and a prehensile tail.

The UPB made things very, very weird. But quite cool. :)

If only it wasn't full of typos and screwups... :(

Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

What if that owner just had taco bell?
    No, then what the owner does in the bathroom falls under Cyttorak's domain.

If only it wasn't full of typos and screwups... :(
    The edited version (which was a free and legal download, hence me answering so quickly) got rid of pretty much all of the typos.

But you can't get rid of the hilarious stat conversion, I'm afraid.

e.g. Quicksilver had Shift X speed, IIRC. According to the Travel Speeds table, that means he could hit the heady heights of 180mph, or about Mach 0.25.
    The Slug, who has Feeble movement (due to being barely even mobile), can move at around 15mph. Bear in mind that Usain Bolt can hit about 24mph in real life.

Strrrrrrrrrrrrex mailedbypostman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalith View Post
    Well, you could have the mutant ability to siphon power from Cyytorak.

Would probably result in him constantly sending the Juggernaut to kill you though.
    Or he could just stop you from siphoning it.
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrex

A Thinking Man's Rhino Omegalith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mailedbypostman1 View Post
    Or he could just stop you from siphoning it.
    Depends on the scope, you get some pretty high-end mutants.

Though it would probably make sense if the power was more like Black Alice from DC, allowing the user to siphon a stream of energy from dimensional tyrants in general.

"Hey, try draining Shuma-Gorath!"

"No. Never again."
    Last edited by Omegalith; 11-13-2012 at 07:47 AM.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.
    An Inconvenience of Heroes.