Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Endings That Make Rewatches Totally Different

Sometimes, you can't watch the same movie twice. Same scenes, same story, same characters, but knowing the end or the reveals at the end means the entire movie has become different for you. Rewatching The Usual Suspects, you have in your head which bastard is The Man, Himself, and that affects your entire perception of the movie, now, as it rotates on that axis. Rewatch Inland Empire knowing where it's going, and Nikki's early experiences are completely different, with threatening figures becoming familiar and perhaps heartening, and seemingly peaceful people suddenly becoming dangers. Masked and Anonymous, So Mort It Be, Midnight Cowboy, Funny Games, Doom Generation...

Recommend some good ones that you can see that first way, only once.

Angel Heart and Fight Club.

Angel Heart is a great film. But after you've seen it once. Repeat viewings are depressing, knowing that Harry is doomed from the start.

Definitely Fight Club and Inception is a must second view.
    The Sixth Sense, The Matrix, and Blade Runner (if you accept that Decker is a replicant)
    And older movie would be The Conversation, very different the second time.

BANNED

If Deckard is a replicant.

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    If Deckard is a replicant.
    Ridley Scott says he is, and that's good enough for me.

Also, if not, the origami unicorn is a massive plothole.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Spoilers, obviously.

I have no desire whatsoever to watch Funny Games again, for any reason. I don't recall anything about the ending that would change it.

The 6th Sense is interesting to go back and look at, and realize all the clues you missed. "Oh, we never actually saw him talk to the mom, we just thought we did..."

There's another clue regarding Decker when the chief briefs him. At first it seems like just a dialogue oversight, but if you watch it assuming he's a Replicant, it suddenly makes sense. Although, one wonders why a Replicant would get beaten up so much by other Replicants. Seriously, Decker never really seems very good at his job.

Regarding The Doom Generation, the ending as I recall is the one guy smiling when Rose McGowan calls him "a demon from Hell." I guess it's a different movie if you assume that's literally true, though I don't remember much to suggest it.
    Last edited by Jared; 11-12-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

BANNED

you guys do know his name is Deckard right? sheesh.

that dialog oversight was a mistake. pretty sure it's fixed in the final cut. there was supposed to be another replicant, and that scene was never reshot. I think...
    fuck Ridley Scott, though. what good story telling has he done lately? Ford says he's not, Scott says he is... blah blah, it's pretty open to interpretation.

reason for that is because it was about the question, not the answer. it's present in everyone else in the movie, so why not Deckard?
    it's about 'what defines a life?'

As earlier mentioned, rewatching Fight Club just makes me realize it's a terrible mess of a movie that people defend for...some reason.

American History X is also depressing, but for different, infinitely more excusable reasons.

BANNED

I don't think I've ever re watched Fight Club.

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    Rewatching The Usual Suspects, you have in your head which bastard is The Man, Himself, and that affects your entire perception of the movie, now, as it rotates on that axis.
    The Usual Suspects made me not want to rewatch it, since the big reveal was that most of the story was fabricated on the spot.

From Dusk Till Dawn 3: The Hangman's Daughter (which is pretty damned good, all told) changes with the post-credits sequence, shifting some of the most basic assumptions we come in with, even if you see other reveals coming ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I have no desire whatsoever to watch Funny Games again, for any reason. I don't recall anything about the ending that would change it.
    Depending on why, you may've got it without knowing you got it. To paraphrase the director on the nature of the film, the nature of the remote control in the film: There's two audiences. Those who hit play again, and those who hit stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Regarding The Doom Generation, the ending as I recall is the one guy smiling when Rose McGowan calls him "a demon from Hell." I guess it's a different movie you assume that's literally true, though I don't remember much to suggest it.
    I meant, specifically the shift from cartoon violence and freewheelin' nihilistic naive adventure to prolonged GODANDPATRIOTISM horror. Araki likes to shift gears in the last ten minutes. (But, yeah, there's hell/damnation stuff sprinkled throughout, so there's that too.)
    Last edited by T Hedge Coke; 11-10-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Robb View Post
    The Usual Suspects made me not want to rewatch it, since the big reveal was that most of the story was fabricated on the spot.
    It's good to rewatch as you sit there trying to see if there were hints that you missed. I swear the scene where Chaz throws Kevin Spacey on the floor and asks him if he actually saw Keaton dead, Spacey yells, "I did, I did kill Keaton," indirectly admitting he is Keyser rather than "I did, I did see Keaton," which is what I thought I heard the first time. Then again, that is probably my mind playing tricks on me.

Not sure if the entire story was fabricated. It was probably a combination of lies and truths with the names of people made up.
    It's hard for me to listen to people not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

"Let me go first Lorna. I'm their freaking King!"

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    you guys do know his name is Deckard right? sheesh.
    My bad. I did know that. Just lazy typing.

As for Fight Club. It is almost like watching a different movie the second time. Great both ways.

BANNED

It's been so long since I've seen it I wonder A) how well it'd hold up B) if that would apply, or it'd almost be the first time again.

Inception is an interesting choice as the ending really has no effect on the rest of the film. Its still worth a rewatch but thats for a whole load of other reasons.

Fight Club would be my main one. Even knowing the twist is interesting as you spot just how many times you were told through hints and subliminal stuff. Really enjoyable rewatch.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development