Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How is theif of theives?

I was curious I am thinking of buying the first trade but I am curious what the people think of this series.

So far I have loved everything from image I have read with my favorite book this year being SAGA.
    Last edited by WolfOfMibu1991; 11-10-2012 at 08:22 AM.

I love it. Very fun Ocean's Eleven vibe.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

It's fun - I miss Nick Spencer writing, but James Asmus has done a good job taking over.
    Gimme gimme shock treatment.

Chasing the tail of dogma

I dropped it after issue #2. It was obvious they were writing it to be a TV series or movie and it rubbed me the wrong way. Nothing particularly great or wrong with it, it wasn't good enough for me to add it to my pull list. There are other books I'd rather spend my cash and time on.
    Last edited by lasraik; 11-10-2012 at 06:49 AM.

I read the first issue on comixology it was free. Kind of up in the air about it, personally but I see why its popular. Might check there and see if its still free might help you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by MT2 View Post
    I read the first issue on comixology it was free. Kind of up in the air about it, personally but I see why its popular. Might check there and see if its still free might help you decide.
    I read the first issue it was pretty damn good. I love Nick spencer's sharp dialogue! But I heard something bout his son grows up to be a thief and that strikes me as jumping the shark. I always like Robert Kirkman stories cause he is great with building human characters and grounded stories.

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

I'm really enjoying this series, for its pacing, characters, and plot twists; even more, though, I'm interested by the lead character's entrapment by loyalties to his family, and his strong desire to do right by them. And by the interplay between the chief thief and the cop who means to get him, even if she might be falling for him... her conflicting desires are played out well. The title reads well, looks sharp, and is on my keep-buying list, now much shortened by under-employment!
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

I'm not a Kirkman fanboy, but it's one of the best books I've read this year. Love it!
    PULL LIST: Ghostbusters, Ghosted, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, The Shadow, Star Mage, Star Wars, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder

Quote Originally Posted by WolfOfMibu1991 View Post
    I was curious I am thinking of buying the first trade but I am curious what the people think of this series.

So far I have loved everything from image I have read with my favorite book this year being SAGA.
    Dare I say it, but I like it better than SAGA.

It's the character dynamics that win it for me -- between Redmond (the main character) and his protege, his ex-wife, the FBI agent looking to put him away, and his son. Every relationship is explored very well, and this doesn't include the actual heists in the story.

I say give the first trade a try and see if you feel like continuing. If you liked the first issue, I have a feeling you'll like this series.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    And by the interplay between the chief thief and the cop who means to get him, even if she might be falling for him... her conflicting desires are played out well.
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only to pick up on this vibe. Every time Agent Cohen is featured in an issue, you see the conflict more and more.

its fantastic!

Interesting. I've never gotten the impression that Cohen might be falling for Redmond. Not sure I like the idea if that's an angle they are trying to hint at.
    PULL LIST: Ghostbusters, Ghosted, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, The Shadow, Star Mage, Star Wars, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder

i really like it. it's refreshing to read something that isn't purely fantastical.

My only complaint is that I believe it's too early to be so knee deep into an Augustus story.
    Gimme gimme shock treatment.

Good book. I feel it's one of those books better read in large chunks though, due to the very methodical pacing. I think after the current arc, I'll just wait until it's collected or a full arc is already out.