Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer and Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    I'm reading The Sixth Gun and drinking a New Belgium Red Hoptober.
    I was checking out The Sixth Gun on Amazon today. It looks pretty good, kind of like something Mignola would do - but set in the wild west.
    Red Hoptober is good as well. I bought a six-er of that last month.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333
    I've been to Portland a few times and I love it there. Last time we were there we hit up Deschutes and Rogue brew pubs. Deschutes had a couple cask beers that was absolutely amazing!
    I drank at one of the Rogue pubs in San Francisco last year. My wife and I had some Hazelnut Brown Nectar paired with some of their hazelnut bread. It was a great time.
    To escape criticism - do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.

Die ChadH! - bipolar danger girl

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I have never heard of any of your local favorites. They sound very interesting.
    Along with San Francisco, Portland is supposed to be a great place for brewing and brew pubs. Did you get a chance to try anything while you were there?
    I noticed Guiness on that list (though real Guiness is Irish, of course). You've never heard of Guiness? You haven't lived. Correct that oversight immediately!

The Sixth Gun? Interesting. I'm only really familiar with superhero stuff. Do you guys have anything else you'd recommend that I can find in trade paperback?

The only non superhero comics that I've read were Preacher, Y the Last Man, and DMZ. Loved Preacher and Y, thought DMZ was pretty decent. I've been looking at Snyder's American Vampire after loving his Court of Owls for Batman but I don't know if I want to invest in it yet.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

I just finished the last beer of my twelve pack of my Negra Modelo. :(

I usually have a Negra Modelo, Estrella, Bohemia or Red Stripe when I'm at home.

When I go out, I go to craft beer or specialty beer bars and have a Old Rasputin or Brother Thelonious or Sierra Nevada Narwhal or some dark ale.

When I'm in Cincinnati, I go to place called Jungle Jims and they have a HUGE section on specialty and imported beers and I just go wild.
    Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 11-11-2012 at 12:19 AM.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Oh yeah, add Chimay White and Palo Santo Marron to that list.
    The 9th Blog

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

I just had the Abita Christmas Ale earlier this evening - meh.
    Try it again next year. It'll be different. They change recipes every year. I wasn't too pleased with this year's batch. It might work well as a potpurri, because the scent is nice, but the flavour wasn't that great. Last year's was pretty good: it had a nice minty chocolate flavour.

From Abita, I prefer Turbodog and Jackamo IPA.
    I do like their Turbodog. I don't drink it often. I tend to go with Guinness if I'm drinking dark.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    I noticed Guiness on that list (though real Guiness is Irish, of course).
    Guinness, Murphy's, Smithwicks, o boy. It had me become a strider, traversing barren lands and weather onstoppably, until feeling like stew and lamb in whatever format and needing to eat that.
    Which is hard to beat.

Like German beers from Bavaria. Made me sing the craziest songs, with hitting my thigh to non-intricate rhythms.

Belgian beers, civillizing me into daringly non-loudmouth heights.

Dutch beer, amplifying my boldness and respect-ridicule to but silly extremes.

Beer is quite astounding I'd say.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Last April I went to Ireland with my girlfriend and had Guinness at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin. I thought I had died. It was like drinking straight from God's brain. lol. The best part was, my gf was pregnant, so she couldn't drink much of it, so I got to drink her Guinness. May have been the best day of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Last April I went to Ireland with my girlfriend and had Guinness at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin. I thought I had died. It was like drinking straight from God's brain. lol. The best part was, my gf was pregnant, so she couldn't drink much of it, so I got to drink her Guinness. May have been the best day of my life.
    I personally feel I can only be sharing your joy over this if it means this girlfriend of yours will be getting your undying gratitude as well as any beer or love and kindness to have and to hold, until the end of time?

As that would seem only fair, but also pretty big or growed-uppy a thing.

Man. Beer, comics, love or women and trips to Dublin. That's really living, ain't it?!
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~

The Sixth Gun? Interesting. I'm only really familiar with superhero stuff. Do you guys have anything else you'd recommend that I can find in trade paperback?
    Atomic Robo is pure joy and fun. And is meant to be read with a beer with a name like Rouge Yellow Snow or Wasatch Polygamy Porter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    I personally feel I can only be sharing your joy over this if it means this girlfriend of yours will be getting your undying gratitude as well as any beer or love and kindness to have and to hold, until the end of time?

As that would seem only fair, but also pretty big or growed-uppy a thing.

Man. Beer, comics, love or women and trips to Dublin. That's really living, ain't it?!
    Haha, yeah, we'll probably get married. I just need to save up for a ring. That's the least I owe her. She's been the best thing that's ever happened to me. And now she's gonna give me a kid. I'm pretty high on life these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    Atomic Robo is pure joy and fun. And is meant to be read with a beer with a name like Rouge Yellow Snow or Wasatch Polygamy Porter.
    That looks like fun. I'll have to add that to my list. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    I noticed Guiness on that list (though real Guiness is Irish, of course). You've never heard of Guiness? You haven't lived. Correct that oversight immediately!
    Heh, I was actually referring to his list of local favorites. Guiness was actually one of my "gateway beers" another being Schell's Dark, which is local to my area. I do intend to pick up some guiness next time to the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre
    I just finished the last beer of my twelve pack of my Negra Modelo. :(

I usually have a Negra Modelo, Estrella, Bohemia or Red Stripe when I'm at home.

When I go out, I go to craft beer or specialty beer bars and have a Old Rasputin or Brother Thelonious or Sierra Nevada Narwhal or some dark ale.
    Old Rasputin is good. I've heard of Brother Thelonius but haven't had the pleasure. Is that a Belgian style? Sierra Nevada Narwhal? I haven't seen that here. I'll look for it next time I'm in Omaha. Is it good? Opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by Kees L
    Guinness, Murphy's, Smithwicks, o boy.
    Yes all three are repeat favorites for me.

Do you guys have anything else you'd recommend that I can find in trade paperback?
    Hellboy, Walking Dead, Fables, Akira, Older Hellblazer. Those should keep you out of trouble for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian
    Try it again next year. It'll be different. They change recipes every year. I wasn't too pleased with this year's batch. It might work well as a potpurri, because the scent is nice, but the flavour wasn't that great. Last year's was pretty good: it had a nice minty chocolate flavour
    Now that I know of its existence, I intend to keep an eye out for it next year.

Last April I went to Ireland with my girlfriend and had Guinness at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin. I thought I had died. It was like drinking straight from God's brain.
    I haven't had the pleasure, but I have a friend who has. He said that there is absolutely a difference in quality at the brewery itself.

Whew, that's me caught up - mostly.
    To escape criticism - do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.

Die ChadH! - bipolar danger girl

Haha, yeah, we'll probably get married. I just need to save up for a ring. That's the least I owe her. She's been the best thing that's ever happened to me. And now she's gonna give me a kid. I'm pretty high on life these days.
    Aw that's great.
    I mean I guess I'd be okay with marriage as an institute or format, but the leading thing would for me be how any relationship could become to be needing a future, like for any kids or such. As if the life together around some or any kind of future as shared together would for me be seeming key.

I'm not for kids of my own just yet. But I also don't believe in unattachedness as being anything to covet over any potential togetherness per se. Although that's also sort of private or at least personal.
    Making it growed uppy and therefor real or intense only the more! [that needs an emoticon]

For comics I'd advise you Mike Mignola's Hellboy (Dark Horse), Mignola's Amazing Screw-On Head and other Stories collection, Charles Burns's Black Hole both as his collected Big Baby books, Gary Gianni's books such as his Corpus Monstrum (Dark Horse), Mark Schultz's collected Xenozoic Tales TPB (Flesk), both as Dave Stevens's collected the Rocketeer.

For great superheroic stuff I'd point to Matt Wagner's Batman: Faces (DC), Steve Rude / Kesel / Oliff their World's Finest (DC) or Jorge Zaffino / Chuck Dixon on either Marvel's Savage Sword of Conan (one issue), the Punisher graphic novels Assassin's Guild and Kingdom Gone, or the great book Winter World as lushly reprinted through IDW.
    And Mignola's Wolverine: the Jungle Adventure TPB, Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser TPB, Ironwolf: Fires of the Revolution TPB/HC and stuff like that.

Lone Wolf and Cub by Koike / Kojima is good stuff, as is Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicša. As seems Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai or Eric Powell's the Goon.
    Anything Moebius is pivotally advisable.

As would be any works by Al Williamson, Bernie Krigstein, or the golden age legend and buffington Lou Fine. Very masterful graphic storytellers which need checking out.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-11-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    . ~

Old Rasputin is good. I've heard of Brother Thelonius but haven't had the pleasure. Is that a Belgian style? Sierra Nevada Narwhal? I haven't seen that here. I'll look for it next time I'm in Omaha. Is it good? Opinions!
    It's a Belgian style and Sierra Narwhal is something worth taking your time and savoring; both are actually smooth, and full of flavor.

Both are worth your time, money and great for your taste buds.

Also, when you get the chance, try out the Palo Santo Marron; a very rich and dark beer, that leaves a citrus/dark chocolate aftertaste. Be careful though, it can be a strong beer and if you're not careful, you'll be drunk in no time after a couple or just one (then again, I'm just a lightweight when it comes to alcohol).
    The 9th Blog

Hellboy, Walking Dead, Fables, Akira, Older Hellblazer. Those should keep you out of trouble for a while.
    I haven't had the pleasure, but I have a friend who has. He said that there is absolutely a difference in quality at the brewery itself.
    Thanks for the recommendations! As for the Guinness Storehouse, yeah, the comparison in terms of quality is like night and day. They give you this sampler halfway up (the tour works from the bottom all the way up to the top where you get a free pint of Guinness) so I guess people can try it to see if they like it. So many people never finished their sampler, which was disappointing. But I understand Guinness isn't for everyone. At the top, some random stranger offerred to give me her sample, and I was all, "Uh... yes please." I don't ever turn down free beer unless I am driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    For comics I'd advise you Mike Mignola's Hellboy (Dark Horse), Mignola's Amazing Screw-On Head and other Stories collection, Charles Burns's Black Hole both as his collected Big Baby books, Gary Gianni's books such as his Corpus Monstrum (Dark Horse), Mark Schultz's collected Xenozoic Tales TPB (Flesk), both as Dave Stevens's collected the Rocketeer.

For great superheroic stuff I'd point to Matt Wagner's Batman: Faces (DC), Steve Rude / Kesel / Oliff their World's Finest (DC) or Jorge Zaffino / Chuck Dixon on either Marvel's Savage Sword of Conan (one issue), the Punisher graphic novels Assassin's Guild and Kingdom Gone, or the great book Winter World as lushly reprinted through IDW.
    And Mignola's Wolverine: the Jungle Adventure TPB, Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser TPB, Ironwolf: Fires of the Revolution TPB/HC and stuff like that.

Lone Wolf and Cub by Koike / Kojima is good stuff, as is Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicša. As seems Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai or Eric Powell's the Goon.
    Anything Moebius is pivotally advisable.

As would be any works by Al Williamson, Bernie Krigstein, or the golden age legend and buffington Lou Fine. Very masterful graphic storytellers which need checking out.
    Wow, thanks for the suggestions! My list of "to read" books has grown quite a bit. Cheers!