Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    And THAT is why we have so many wonderful black male characters in comics, ladies and gentlemen.
    There are some pretty badass black characters. Some aren't being used right now (Bishop, Cage, unfortunately), and some are (Miles Morales, Ultimate Fury/new 616 Fury, new X-character). Marvel has had a ton of awesome black characters over the years. Like I said, I'm not saying that there isn't a problem. I'm just saying it isn't as simplistic as you're making it. I'm not trying to be hostile or rude, so I'd appreciate you dropping the obnoxious and condescending comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Surely you are either okay with seeing non-white people in comics, or you're not. Why does the gender effect it? Also... lesbians actually don't do well in comics. Of the three LGBT couples currently in comics... all three are men. Victoria Hand (dead) and Karma are the only lesbians I can think of in main casts currently.
    I am saying that is why some people don't consider female minority characters the same as male minority characters. I was not saying that is my view as I am on record as not caring about diversity in the sense of minority characters at all beyond simply discussing the issue on message boards. However the logic here is simple. When the majority dominated the minority, part of that domination always included raping and having their way with the minority women. That was a means to demoralise the enemy. Thus, for a male minority to see their women running around half naked, some of them will naturally view that not as diversity but simply a continuation of the sexual exploitation that the majority always committed against their women.
    It's hard for me to listen to people not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

"Let me go first Lorna. I'm their freaking King!"

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by refrax5 View Post
    I'm not saying that there isn't a problem.
    Well, at least you have acknowledged that there IS a problem.

Thats progress.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    I will be presumptuous and guess that you and Aja still buy Marvel Comics despite your concerns about the lack of minority characters. If that is the case then why would Marvel care what you think if your opinions are not backed by you purchasing habits?
    Hell no -- I practice what I preach.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    No shortage of great black male characters in the X-Verse -- they just either get killed off, shelved, or turned evil.

Hell, you could put Synch, Prodigy, Blade, Night Thrasher, Black Panther and Bishop on a team and have them running isht like Black Dynamite on a bad night.

The irony is that in reality, black people tend to be the most athletic -- and genuinely superhero-like -- in most physical pursuits. Muhammad Ali was one of the most ass-kicking (and "blackest) men alive, yet its "Captain America" and his all-Aryan squad that somehow represent the best warriors that America has to offer.

Which is why I put the blame firmly on the writers.

Whether "racist" or just ignorant, its all the same in the end.
    black people are better at sports because of the extra bones in their legs

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Hell no -- I practice what I preach.
    Haha, fair enough although you are probably in the minority in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy55 View Post
    Is this a new discovery? The research I remember seeing suggested it was because blacks have a higher percentage of fast-twitch muscle fibers, a lower percentage of body fat, a higher capacity to absorb oxygen into our muscles and our bodies accumulate less lactic acid.
    It's hard for me to listen to people not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Is this a new discovery?
    Holy crap.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Holy crap.
    Hahahahahahaha

I probably like you. Filthy Mutie's Avatar

I see names like "Blade," "Synch," and "Prodigy" being dropped casually, but never forget the Blue Marvel will always be a great character.

Is this a new discovery? The research I remember seeing suggested it was because blacks have a higher percentage of fast-twitch muscle fibers, a lower percentage of body fat, a higher capacity to absorb oxygen into our muscles and our bodies accumulate less lactic acid.
    Yes.

X-Poster of the Month: December 2012
    X-Poster of the Month: December 2009

The Best There Is At What I Do

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy55 View Post
    Same reason we're such great dancers.
    The Avengers can go fuck themselves." -Elizabeth Braddock

Gone

Im half black, do I get half of those extra bones?

Haha, fair enough although you are probably in the minority in that regard.

Straight up -- I bought (Jerome Opena's) Uncanny X-Force because that cat pencils like a master, I bought a couple of New Mutants issues until I saw just how much Cypher was fucking up the system, and I bought Liu's X-23 to support Gambit not being a pussy and an issue of her Astonishing X-Men to support seeing Karma back in action and seeing more female and minority writers on the Marvel payroll.

Unfortunately she's stuck with a mediocre artist (on Astonishing) so that's probably the end of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Yes.
    Source? Only ever seen the suggestion that they may have denser bones not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    Im half black, do I get half of those extra bones?
    Nope, I am half to 3/4 depending on which family member I ask and I don't think I have any extras although I haven't had an X-ray in a long time.
    Last edited by remydat; 11-13-2012 at 01:43 PM.

I probably like you. Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Source? Only ever seen the suggestion that they may have denser bones not more.
    Me. 10101010

X-Poster of the Month: December 2012
    X-Poster of the Month: December 2009

The Best There Is At What I Do

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Me. 10101010
    Haha, that explains it then.