Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Joker in the new 52

In the DC wiki it says:

"After a skirmish with Batman, the Joker is caught and taken to Arkham Asylum. There, the Dollmaker, pays him a visit, which the Joker seems to have been expecting. The two have cordially arranged this meeting, and the Joker has assigned his visitor with a special task: he has the Dollmaker cut off his face, and pin it to the wall."

I do not recall reading this in the Batman comics. So which other comic is it from? My friend says it's from Detective Comics, but he's not sure. So which comic is it from?

It's from issue one of Detective Comics so your friend is correct.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Soren333 View Post
    In the DC wiki it says:

"After a skirmish with Batman, the Joker is caught and taken to Arkham Asylum. There, the Dollmaker, pays him a visit, which the Joker seems to have been expecting. The two have cordially arranged this meeting, and the Joker has assigned his visitor with a special task: he has the Dollmaker cut off his face, and pin it to the wall."

I do not recall reading this in the Batman comics. So which other comic is it from? My friend says it's from Detective Comics, but he's not sure. So which comic is it from?
    Detective Comics No. 1.

Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Detective Comics No. 1.

Thank you very much.

From Issue #1 itself:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2000346-detective_comics__1___page_30_super.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	104091
    - Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
    Winston Churchill

BANNED

god that's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    god that's stupid.

Not as stupidly immature as that OLD "boner" phrasing: C'mon, I'm bettin' even you know that "boner" in the "olden days" means "goof-up", "mistake".

BUT how could he pronounce the "F" and "M" sounds with no lips????!?!?!?!?!?!?

The issue was good and the face loss fit the story, but long term it is a lame idea.
    My Canon > Your Canon

Yeah long term what will they do?

Quote Originally Posted by HXHAlex View Post
    Yeah long term what will they do?
    Long term they'll have someone like the dollmaker just stitch it back on and it will magically work. Hardly going to be put up for peer review against the journal of the American Medical Association.

I wholeheartedly disagree with you guys stating it's stupid. Instead, in my opinion, it's original, unique and it's damn creepy. It made Detective Comics #001 (2011 -) end on the biggest cliff-hanger of the entire reboot. And it (the damn creepy and horrific) has been used brilliantly by Snyder and Capullo for the Death of the Family arc (Batman #013 (2011 - ) ).

it's just a story. the face will get re-attached somehow at some point and your old Joker will be back. Why is it so hard to just sit back and enjoy a comic story without having to pick apart every new direction it takes? And citing the money you spend is no excuse, you know the nature of comics. Suspend your disbelief haha

ot the OP, I recently read that Detective Comics #1 (99 cents on Comixology if you're into digital comics) and though it was a decent issue - it was pretty standard. The ending (the face removal) was the only real shocking part up to that point. Although it could have been written off as shock value - it's now coming into play in his big return arc which i think has been really well done so far.

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkJAww13 View Post
    it's just a story. the face will get re-attached somehow at some point and your old Joker will be back. Why is it so hard to just sit back and enjoy a comic story without having to pick apart every new direction it takes? And citing the money you spend is no excuse, you know the nature of comics. Suspend your disbelief haha

ot the OP, I recently read that Detective Comics #1 (99 cents on Comixology if you're into digital comics) and though it was a decent issue - it was pretty standard. The ending (the face removal) was the only real shocking part up to that point. Although it could have been written off as shock value - it's now coming into play in his big return arc which i think has been really well done so far.
    ^^ This.

I'm new here, and don't want to speak out of turn, but there is a lot of hate on the boards for new direction and change. Everyone's ready to "drop" a title at the slightest perceived imperfection, yet they call themselves "fans"!

Hoping the negativity isn't a permanent feature of the forums, otherwise I might have to drop them. hahahahaha. ha.

I mostly dislike the face thing, as it really adds nothing to the story. There's better ways to show you're pissed off than have a dude cut your face off. The practicality of the face/mask is kind of entertaining, but not very. Overall, I'm really just waiting for the hoop jumping to get him back to normal. It would make sense if Hush could reconstruct his face somehow, I suppose.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

I think the face-thing is fun for what it is on a visual level. I think Snyder and Capullo have kind of been trying to sell a deeper change in the character because of it, which I'm not buying, as I don't feel it changes character in any sort of meaningful way other than a freakier appearance. But just in terms of appearance I think its fun to play with for a while.