Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thor and all the other gods actually intervene and do stuff. So the Christian God is pretty insignificant in the greater scheme of things in 616.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingonyama View Post
    I think Bobby's half-Catholic, half-Jewish. But that was never his hangup so much as a total lack of characterization.

I'd prefer a little religious diversity myself. Being pagan I have a preference for seeing more non-Christian characters in comics.
    Didn't Bobby state he was Methodist in the funeral issue of Second Coming?

Agree completely with that last bit. It does seem that the only religions presented are of the Judeo-Christian ilk. Even considering that Storm says things like "by the Goddess" doesn't mean a whole lot, given that she considered herself a goddess, at least for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by darknessatnoon View Post
    Does Judge Dredd believe in god, because if so I've caught you out in a contradiction.
    Dredds a political cartoon he doesn't count.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    Didn't Bobby state he was Methodist in the funeral issue of Second Coming?
    Yes, because Matt Fraction had never read an X-Men comic before being given Uncanny X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    I don't think so. 616 humans shouldn't believe in God due to all the stuff that regularly happens in the MU that contradicts the bible, ie alien invasions, numerous other gods
    but the 616 is set in America.

Wallace Likes It That Way Deus ex Chris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotm View Post
    No, the setting is designated 616 and includes the United States along with, you know, the whole universe.

How can a universe be set in America? That seems kinda solipsistic

BANNED

How can a universe be set in America? That seems kinda solipsistic
    Welcome to America.

Quote Originally Posted by darknessatnoon View Post
    Yes, because Matt Fraction had never read an X-Men comic before being given Uncanny X-Men.
    Good point

The official 'religion' of the Marvel Universe is astrotheism, as detailed in the landmark crackpot text by Erich von Dä niken, "The Chariots of the Gods." This was the basis for Jack Kirby's 'The Eternals' which is essentially the book of genesis for the MU. All other religious proclamations in the MU are superseded by this with the underlying principle that they are wrong and that the Celestials are the true gods of the universe.
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

I know he's not a christian, but I feel like Indra's religion (jainism, maybe?) can be seen as a handicap. And, while I'm not commenting on the validity of his religon or anything, it's difficult to reconcile it with being a super hero. I think he can't cause any harm to people, or something. Not sure of the specifics.
    I've never had a signaure before. This is pretty rad.

Quote Originally Posted by mystery_saw View Post
    I know he's not a christian, but I feel like Indra's religion (jainism, maybe?) can be seen as a handicap. And, while I'm not commenting on the validity of his religon or anything, it's difficult to reconcile it with being a super hero. I think he can't cause any harm to people, or something. Not sure of the specifics.

Indra has it easy he can quit being a superhero. Its much harder to reconcile birthing a heathen werewolf god child out of your mouth with christianity.

I don't think so. 616 humans shouldn't believe in God due to all the stuff that regularly happens in the MU that contradicts the bible, ie alien invasions, numerous other gods
    As far as I know the bible doesn't have a problem with the existence of aliens or other gods. If anything fewer people should be an Atheist in 616 as its a fact that souls, magic, and the afterlife are real.

I'd prefer a little religious diversity myself. Being pagan I have a preference for seeing more non-Christian characters in comics.
    At this point I would settle for any actual religious commitment. Kurt is literally the only character I can think of who was an actual practicing member of a faith instead of just "nominally Christian" or "vaguely Pagan". I mean in the real world, when you get to know a religious person you get to know about their faith. You may not agree with it, but you would at least have a casual understanding of how their faith works and what separates their faith from others. I don't get that from 9 out of 10 comic book religious characters. All the "Christian" characters have guilt issues, religious leaders who wear Priest collars, and believe that the less evidence you have to back up your faith the more admirable it is; all Wiccans are bisexual and vaguely magical; All Muslim women wear burkas; Pagans are just people who don't fit into the aforementioned groups.

I want some writer who actually is religious, has religious friends, or is willing to take the time read Wikipedia, to write a character who's religion I can guess by their words and deeds. I want to know the character's religion by their characterization, not just because they have a throw away line mentioning they are a Reformed Christian while blathering on about suicide being an unforgivable sin.

Indra has it easy he can quit being a superhero. Its much harder to reconcile birthing a heathen werewolf god child out of your mouth with christianity.
    Outside of the premarital sex I am not understanding why this would be an issue for a Christian.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyadnar17 View Post
    As far as I know the bible doesn't have a problem with the existence of aliens or other gods. If anything fewer people should be an Atheist in 616 as its a fact that souls, magic, and the afterlife are real.
    It depends on who you ask. Sir Thomas Malory was almost excommunicated for chronicling the magical powers of Merlin in his le Morte d'Arthur. Hardcore Christians might see the thematics of super heroes in and of themselves as being heretical.
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

Quote Originally Posted by Nyadnar17 View Post
    Outside of the premarital sex I am not understanding why this would be an issue for a Christian.
    A child who's supposed to be the Beast in Apocalypse and usher in the battle at Armageddon. A child conceived with a wolf god out of marriage. A child that was burped out of her mouth.

C'mon. That's heavy shiz, particularly for a fundamentalist like Rahne.