Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Mark Millar Builds Marvel Movies At Fox & Beyond

"Kick-Ass" & "The Ultimates" writer Mark Millar opens up on his new consultant gig for 20th Century Fox's Marvel movies, how "The Wolverine" starts a new path for the X-Men and preps more Millarworld movies.

Full article here.

"You have to remember that Fox grabbed the X-Men back in the '90s because it was the biggest franchise in the world. So X-Force or Cable or Deadpool -- all these amazing characters are things we haven't really gotten to yet. 'X-Force' #1 was the second biggest book of all time behind Jim Lee's 'X-Men' #1, so there's an immediate brand recognition to that stuff and a build in fanbase. You go to any convention in the world, and you'll see 20 people dressed as Deadpool. In a lot of ways, these are Marvel's coolest characters, so I want to remind people of that and build on what we already have. I think there's a great foundation, and just from basic conversations, we've come up with ten movies we could do. These things cost $150 million each to make, so we have to pick and choose what we want to do."
    Oh, hell yes. Bring Cable and X-Force to the big screen, Fox! Deadpool too.

I like Mark Millar. I think he's done some great work for Marvel. However, I'm a little weary of him consulting on the X-men movies. I enjoyed his Ultimate X-men run, but one aspect that bothered me was that he tends to make superheroes into assholes for lack of a better word. There's being edgy and then there's just being a tool and Millar does not walk that line very well. Fox already screwed up the X-men movies in a huge way with X3 and Wolverine Origins. First Class was good, but it didn't fit into the continuity of the other movies and no one ever clarified whether it was a reboot. Now The Wolverine is supposed to pick up from the ashes of X3. I don't see how any good can possibly come of that. And given what Millar did with Ultimate Wolverine, I'm hesitant to support his involvement in the movies. But I'm willing to give him a chance.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

BANNED

I'm the exact opposite. I hate Mark Millar, but think this is a role he's suited to.

Reading the article kinda got me annoyed a little. Fox could've easily tried to put this type of effort into their films before seeing Marvel's success.

The only positive in this is Fantastic Four, not so much because his FF run was good because it wasn't but because his short stint on Ultimate FF was great so if he reinvent FF this way it has potential.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Considering how the plan is to reboot Fantastic Four, I'm actually curious how they're going to mix it with the X-Men films. The X-Men film series has been running for a long time, since it's been Fox's biggest success with comic book films, so if they want to have the Fantastic Four coexist with the X-Men, they have to make sure the presence of the X-Men doesn't overwhelm the role of the Fantastic Four.

The more I read about Fox taking the Marvel Studios approach to their films, the more excited I get. I think they've realized that keeping these films on autopilot wasn't going to work anymore. It also gives me hopes, however unlikely they may be, of a crossover down the line with the Avengers. Civil War would be an obvious one, because of both the characters involved and Millar's involvement, but AvX or Secret Wars - or anything, really - might also work. I know it would be hell from a licensing/profit sharing standpoint, and it would be super difficult to balance a story that big into just a 2-3 hour movie, but the comic nerd in me wants it so bad.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Hopefully with Days of Future Past they can reboot the first x-men movies and make real x-men movies now, maybe using some of the same actors but in a different continuity so it fits more into the comics and maybe can mention the marvel universe more.
    Cyclops was right.

He said his role was similar to Whedon's, but the way I see it, it's more like Kevin Feige's.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightshrink View Post
    Hopefully with Days of Future Past they can reboot the first x-men movies and make real x-men movies now, maybe using some of the same actors but in a different continuity so it fits more into the comics and maybe can mention the marvel universe more.
    I don't think they're gonna end up rebooting anything. They've done just fine at the box office without worrying about sticking to the comics so trying to calm down comic fans probably isn't a huge concern. The lack of adherence to the source material never had much to do with why they didn't reference other Marvel properties.

I hope he can make F4 Awesome.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    I don't think they're gonna end up rebooting anything. They've done just fine at the box office without worrying about sticking to the comics so trying to calm down comic fans probably isn't a huge concern. The lack of adherence to the source material never had much to do with why they didn't reference other Marvel properties.
    Both Origins: Wolverine and X-Men: First Class were not huge successes and were trending downward from the peak of X3. It's possible that if they don't turn it around soon, that Fox won't even care about the rights to X-Men anymore.

IT's CC's X-men #1 You bloody TWAT!!!
    Cyclops ad portas

F4 and X-Men crossing paths means chances of a decent Namor plotline are pretty good. Also, Franklin and Valeria Richards, Black Panther and Storm.

I haven't been a huge fan of Miller since the Ultimates, in fact I find most of his current stuff pretty groan worthy(Secret Service the exception), that said I have to agree this is such a perfect role for him.