Page 36 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Default Best reading order for Grant Morrisons Batman run??

I've been looking around online for an accurate reading order for Grant Morrisons Batman run. None of the lists I've seen so far seem to be accurate enough - for instance there was one list that was a graphic flow chart but this didn't include Battle for the Cowl (I know not written by Morrison but surely part of the reading process?)

Does anyone have a thorough list that includes Battle For The Cowl, final crisis, the black casebook etc?

battle for the cowl has nothing to do with grant morrison's story, all you need to know is dick became batman

Because stk thought my explanation was confusing, here's the revised:

It doesn't matter where you start, as long as you don't start with something clearly labeled "part five of a six part story."

They're individual, serialized comics for a reason. Most issues are readable on their own.

As for the "continuity," you'll figure it out as you go along. Date of publication is a help, as well.

If it isn't written by Grant Morrison, he may allude to it, but it won't be a big deal if you haven't read it.

There is a continuing story, but most storylines, most collections, try to catch you up right there in that comic.
    Last edited by T Hedge Coke; 11-07-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    Final Crisis should come just after RIP, as the last two issues in the RIP collection are part of Final Crisis.

Morrison designed this Bat-epic to be read in different orders with different results, though. If you read RIP then jump to Return of Bruce Wayne, that gives you a throughline, of Bruce Wayne, but it's going to be different, feel different, than reading RIP, Time and the Batman, then Return of Bruce Wayne. If you close RIP and the next thing you open is the first Batman and Robin collection, you're going to be okeh, but you're missing what's happening to Bruce, because they don't know and it's a different story, and that's cool, too. If you've already read some of the older stories he alludes to, you understand the comics differently, but you can be entirely ignorant of everything in The Black Casebook, or even of older Morrison Batman stories, and still understand Batman and Son or Batman vs Robin without difficulty.

Any multi-part stories that require other parts to really gel, are clearly marked as such, but of course, the more you know ahead of time, the more familiar you are with other parts, the more you get out of the comics at hand. (But, that's true of just about any comic, it's just over-egged, I think by people think you have to read all of Morrison to understand or enjoy any Morrison comic.)
    *Thread-starter reads this and throws up his hands*

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    *Thread-starter reads this and throws up his hands*
    Revised it.
    Last edited by T Hedge Coke; 11-07-2012 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    Revised it.
    At least you posted something. I came into the thread once before you, tried to give him an answer, got about 3 words into it and said, "F it. Back button."

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    At least you posted something. I came into the thread once before you, tried to give him an answer, got about 3 words into it and said, "F it. Back button."
    You're right, though. In trying to be clear, I could've lost'em entirely.

This site is generally accurate and all inclusive: http://www.therealbatmanchronologypr...enty-two-pt-1/

This site is generally accurate and all inclusive: http://www.therealbatmanchronologypr...enty-two-pt-1/
    This guy has FAAAR to much time on his hands
    Pull List: None. Moving to trade-waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoy House View Post
    I've been looking around online for an accurate reading order for Grant Morrisons Batman run. None of the lists I've seen so far seem to be accurate enough - for instance there was one list that was a graphic flow chart but this didn't include Battle for the Cowl (I know not written by Morrison but surely part of the reading process?)

Does anyone have a thorough list that includes Battle For The Cowl, final crisis, the black casebook etc?
    Only if you want it to be. It's not necessary for the Grant Morrison run though therefore most discussions or lists will leave it out. Same with FC and Casebook.

You can find a complete reading order here (post nine)

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Only if you want it to be. It's not necessary for the Grant Morrison run though therefore most discussions or lists will leave it out. Same with FC and Casebook.

You can find a complete reading order here (post nine)
    I enjoyed it. It's not a masterpiece, but it shows a bit of the aftermath of Bruce's disappearance, as well as how the next Batman came to be. Spoilers, it's Dick.

Default Batman and Robin Vol.2 New 52 Does this carry on from Vol.1 ?

I don't want to read Batman and Robin volume 1 until I've read everything else from Grant Morrisons run in order. But I would like to start reading Batman and Robin from the start of the new 52 - I get all of the other batman family books each month so I figured why not get this as well.

Just wondered if volume 2 carries on directly from vol 1 or if it starts from scratch?

I guess technically it's new. The creative team of Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason did a couple issues in Volume 1, though. And were announced as the ongoing creative team before--presumably--DC decided on the relaunch and brought in some fill-in writers and artists.

Storyline-wise, it's all new.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Some aspects are carried over, like Damian had been Robin to Dick Grayson's Batman still.

Not sure if/what aspects of it have been thrown out yet by the change to the New 52 world except for the fact that Dick now appears to be younger and Damian lost a lot of his growth / maturity.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The DCnU version (i.e., the current one) is quite a bit different since, as mentioned, in the prior series, Dick Grayson was Batman. The current series features Bruce and Damian together as father and son, so there's quite a different dynamic. In my estimation, it's a good book. There's really no need to read the prior series before beginning on this since it's an entirely different team.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum