Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Amy Adams as Lois Lane in MAN OF STEEL

With Man of Steel on the horizon, I thought it would be nice to shine a spotlight on the leading lady of the film, Lois Lane, and her portrayer, Amy Adams and to create a space to discuss her and her Lois. So below is what has been released so far, and hopefully they'll be more news and discussion to add in the months ahead.

WHAT PEOPLE SAY ABOUT AMY

“[Amy Adams is] a wonderful person with really good, high energy. I’m really glad she got the opportunity to do “The Fighter” and show her chops as an actor.” — Henry Cavill

“Amy is not great with heights but this is a role she was never going to turn down. She’s expecting some wire work so she’s planning to try and face her fears way before that. This really is a dream role for her. Lois is an icon and it’s worth the ordeal of a few dizzy moments.”

"I chose Amy [to play Lois Lane] because I feel like Amy is super strong, for one. I find her able to do both…to be hard and she can be tough. But she has that… Like, you know why he would like her. You know why he would fall in love with her. It has nothing to do with…I mean, she’s beautiful, but she’s also got charisma and personality to go along with it. Cause that’s what you need. You’ve got to be careful with her. But she’s great." — Zack Snyder, Director of Man of Steel (Source)

"Amy is just an amazing talent and I think she kind of grounds the part in a really amazing way. She's beautiful. She's smart. […] I think she embodies everything that we're going for [with the project]." – Zack Snyder

"It took a little while to cast her and we had to fly Henry over to see how they looked together but it's great." – Zack Snyder

“Second only to Superman himself, the question of who will play Lois Lane [was] arguably what fans [were] most curious about. So we [were] excited to announce the casting of Amy Adams, one of the most versatile and respected actresses in films today. Amy has the talent to capture all of the qualities we love about Lois: smart, tough, funny, warm, ambitious, and, of course, beautiful. […] There was a big, giant search for Lois. For us it was a big thing and obviously a really important role. We did a lot of auditioning but we had this meeting with Amy Adams and after that I just felt she was perfect for it. [Lois] is a linchpin and [going] back to what I’ve said about Superman and making him really understandable for today, what’s important to us is making him relevant and real and making him empathetic to today’s audience so that we understand the decisions he makes. That applies to Lois as well. She has to be in the same universe as him [in tone and substance].” – Zack Snyder

"What can I tell you about [Amy]? I only met her very briefly. She seems like a very nice person and a fantastic actress. I did a reading with her and she did a fantastic job. Chemistry? What is chemistry? It's an odd word, really. We worked well together." – Henry Cavill

"Amy Adams, first of all, incredible chops. She can be tough but she also has this kindness too. There’s that wonder, still, that she has. I think those things are both are going to be in play in the film." – Zack Snyder

“[Amy Adams is] a brilliant, wonderful actress! She’s incredible. She’s an extraordinarily accomplished young lady — and gorgeous and full of energy and spirit. She’s so different from part to part. It’s going to be really interesting to see what she does with Lois. […] I think Amy Adams is so much better an actress than I am that I wouldn’t even for a second presume to give her any advice […] she’s amazing, this girl. […] Oh my god, [Henry Cavill’s] heaven. He’s heaven! He’s got a sexuality! As wonderful as Christopher [Reeve] was — and he was wonderful and perfect — he was not exactly a big steaming heap of sexuality. And this Cavill really is. I loved him on “The Tudors.” I couldn’t get enough of him. I think the casting is just inspired. The director sounds very, very bright. So clearly there will be something interesting going on. And hopefully, they’ll get the same kind of wonderful, funny dialogue from Tom Mankiewicz for ours. [And] who cares [if people are saying Amy is too old to play opposite Henry]! What a bizarre thing to be concerned about. She certainly doesn’t look older than him.” — Margot Kidder

“Well, [Amy] is a phenomenal actress, I mean really, right? And has such a large range. I think she’ll be amazing. I think she’ll be perfect.” — Teri Hatcher

“Amy Adams as Lois Lane is a wonderful choice. She’ll bring a lot to the role. She is a great actress with great acting depth. I have loved her work, so I have no doubt she will be an incredible Lois Lane. Welcome to the family, Amy!” — Noel Neill (“Adventures of Superman”)

“I didn’t really think about it too much…because I think about each film experience as an individual one and then kind of move on, you know what I mean? I’m actually excited to see it. I really think Amy Adams is a great actress and I like comic book films.” – Kate Bosworth

Continued...
    Last edited by misslane38; 11-08-2012 at 12:37 PM.

WHAT AMY SAYS ABOUT THE MOVIE

“He’s got this humility. I think that’s why he’s so great for the role. There’s this ease about him. He has this amazing effect on people. It’s fun to watch.”

“You feel like you’re in scenes with Superman. He is completely invested and yoked and he just really took the role very seriously and yeah, he’s fantastic, he’s just so yum. He’s the nicest guy, aside from the face.” (MTV)

“It is a little distracting at first [...] When people first see [Henry], it’s like, ‘Wow. You’re actually really good looking,’ [...] He’s just such a hard worker and I have so much respect for how hard he’s worked in this role, just tirelessly. He’s doing a great job.” (Access Hollywood)

“I think the role of women in society constantly changes, and what I love about Lois Lane is that she’s been very consistently strong, successful, independent. I’m very attracted to that. It was a time when women were really — I don’t want to make some grand statement because I know it will come across as a grand statement — but [women were often limited by society then and] what I loved about her was that she was able to be smart and be feminine and I think that that’s something I know I’m going to teach my daughter, that you don’t have to be a man to be powerful. You can be a powerful woman.” — (LA Times)

“She’s such a fantastic character. She’s feminine, she’s intelligent, she’s a go-getter. She’s somebody I have identified with since whenever. I’m like the luckiest girl in the world. I’ve gotten to be a princess, I’ve gotten to work with the Muppets. A lot of my childhood dreams about who I wanted to be when I was a grown-up, I at least get to play them in movies. And Lois Lane is one of them. So I’m just excited. I hope I bring something that people enjoy.” — (Belfast Telegraph)

How was the experience of playing Lois Lane this summer? "It was great. It was really good. Henry [Cavill] – I hope you guys love him as Superman – worked so hard. He is just yummy and really committed to the role. He really did a good job. I haven’t seen the final cut and I have only seen a couple of the teasers. So I am with you guys. I know it because I was there but there was so much that I wasn’t involved in that I can’t wait to see."
    Is there going to be humor in your interpretation of Lois Lane? We’ve seen the humorous Lois Lane in some movies and TV shows and other times she is more serious and very competitive with Clark Kent. "No, I think she is a little more…we will have to see. I don’t know. I mean, she is definitely a pistol still and she definitely gets herself in a lot of trouble still. But she is not as competitive, I would say, with Clark." (Collider)

GR: How do you feel about Superman dating Wonder Woman in the comics?
    AA: I’ve heard that. I’ll take her. I’ll take her.
    GR: My money’s on you.
    AA: I don’t have bracelets or lassos, but… (x)

TA:You’ve shot Lois Lane for the new Superman project, “Man of Steel,” opposite Henry Cavill. Lane is another confident female character. She can be seen as an extension of “The Front Page,” and Rosalind Russell’s big-shouldered women.
    AA: Absolutely. It was fun. It was intimidating because it was played before by Margot Kidder, whom I love. One of my favorite movies growing up was “Superman” — and “Superman 2.” I was kind of a nerd; I loved them so much. It was important to create a character that was new because I thought she was perfect. It’s hard to step into a role where you thought someone had already achieved what could be achieved. But coming from theater, you’re always stepping into a role that’s been done before, so you’re always excited about it.
    TA: What was your twist that you added to the role?
    AA: It’s a totally different realization of the Superman lore, so I felt free in that way because I wasn’t trying to emulate any sort of banter that had been established by Christopher Reeve and Kidder. I was given a lot of permission to create a new character. (Yahoo)

This was a new idea, down to the hair color. I knew people would want to talk about my hair color. It was going to be a thing,” said Adams while promoting The Master, her major fall release. “(Director) Zack (Snyder) told me he didn’t hire me to play someone else. He hired me to play Lois Lane. It’s a whole reimagining.” She’s referring to Margot Kidder, who originated the role in 1978’s Superman. “I grew up really loving (her). I wasn’t trying to be her, but I hope I do enough of a good job to have the same effect on young girls as Lois Lane had on me. I really loved seeing a woman represented as a modern woman in a superhero movie, and not even glamourized, really — she was kind of a troublemaker. She wasn’t a typical heroine. I identified with her from a very young age,” said Adams. As for the film itself, “I haven’t seen it. I haven’t seen any footage. It’s intense. Henry worked his tail off as Superman. It’s different for me. A lot of running. I hold a laser taser of some sort.” (USA Today)

HP: So, I’m doing research before the interview today and I noticed your birth date. You were born two months after me, but I always forget that we’re the same age. I think of you as much younger. Does that help as far as roles?
    AA: I think of myself as much younger, too.
    HP: It seems to allow you to be able to do a lot of different roles: “The Master,” and now “Man of Steel.”
    AA: You know what? What I really enjoy is that I got a late start as far as having the opportunities. So, I’m just glad that I’m able to take advantage of this time with the roles that have been offered to me and that people are willing to see me as not a number, but as how I play with people and how … because I play different age range. And I look forward to actually playing my age one day.
    HP: Do you feel you haven’t done that?
    AA: No, I haven’t.
    HP: Will Lois Lane be 38?
    AA:: No. Say it again…I remember when I first came out with my age, someone had told me to lie…
    This is what I said, and I say it now. When someone had told me to lie, a long time ago, before the Internet was ‑‑ thank goodness I didn’t, because I would be exposed as a huge liar. If you can tell me what year of my life to get rid of … you go through my life and you tell me what year doesn’t count, and I’ll lie about my age. I’ll take it away. But every year of my life means something. And, so, I’m not going to lie. (The Huffington Post)

"I would just hope that girls can go see … themselves in Lois Lane a little bit. Not that I don’t like, you know, black latex or vinyl … [but] it’s nice to see a powerful woman who is … a reporter, and just more pedestrian, so to speak, in a superhero film. And she’s sort of an everywoman, and I like that a lot." (NPR)

“I did, however, grow up wanting to be Lois Lane. For real. Really wanting to be Lois Lane, not just an actress playing her.” (LA Times)
    Last edited by misslane38; 11-08-2012 at 12:55 PM.

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

I think she's perfect for the role. Not only she's drop-dead gorgeous, but she's extremely talented. I think she has a theatrical background, so it will be interesting to see that acting style in a movie like Man Of Steel.

And damn, she's 38???? Holy crap, she doesn't look her age.
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

Abolutely have been in love with her casting since it was announced. She's like Denzel Washington, when she's in a great movie, Sunshine Cleaners or the Fighter, she's my favorite actor.

I think it's great that she's gonna be Lois... She kills it in Ahead of the Curve as well.

I love Amy Adams. She's seriously my #1 Hollywood crush right now. She's such a terrific actress too. Can't wait to see her as Lois.

Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

Play sassy and smart and have great legs and you got yourself a Lois Lane right there.

Wow this is a lot of research. I'm also really excited to see how she portrays Lois. Amy Adams is (imo) the best actress of her generation and easily my favorite actress.

I've said this several times before. Amy Adams wasn't my first choice for Lois, nor was she even my 5th choice. But from the moment she was cast in the role, I couldn't think of anyone better. She and Michael Shannon were both inspired casting choices.
    Your name is Kal-El. You are the only survivor of the planet Krypton. Even though you've been raised as a human being, you are not one of them
    JOR-EL

I know this is about Lois, but I couldn't help but laugh about Kidder's description of Cavill:

'[He's]a big steaming heap of sexuality'.

I'm looking forward to June 2013...

Quote Originally Posted by clownprince01 View Post
    I've said this several times before. Amy Adams wasn't my first choice for Lois, nor was she even my 5th choice. But from the moment she was cast in the role, I couldn't think of anyone better. She and Michael Shannon were both inspired casting choices.
    Yeah, same here. I originally wanted Emily Blunt for the role, but now I think choosing Amy was pretty damn perfect.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

I love that they cast Amy Adams as Lois. Everything I've seen her in, she was great. From The Fighter to The Muppets, she can do it all. I'm glad to hear she's taking the role so seriously and that she has a love and respect for Lois. Hearing Amy say that Lois is one of the characters she's always dreamed of playing really tells me they made the right choice in casting her. I'm very excited for nex year!

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Dug what Kidder had to say. Pretty pumped about the whole cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    Yeah, same here. I originally wanted Emily Blunt for the role, but now I think choosing Amy was pretty damn perfect.
    Damn, we really are on the same page. I wanted Emily Blunt for the role too. Failing that, Evangeline Lilly. But I don't think either of them could match Adams.
    Your name is Kal-El. You are the only survivor of the planet Krypton. Even though you've been raised as a human being, you are not one of them
    JOR-EL

Don't even need convincing that she'll do a great job. She's a great actress and I'm sure she'll do the role justice. And considering she could pass for mid-twenties easy, her true age difference with Henry Cavill should be a complete non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    And damn, she's 38???? Holy crap, she doesn't look her age.
    As a 35 year old, the idea a 38 year old is old depresses me a little.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...