Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This actually means nothing to me. Is Smits a bad actor? Absolutely not, but the character he played in Star Wars held no real interest to me. He was just kind of there. Anything that made him interesting(like helping start the rebellion or something) was left in deleted scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I thought only jedi get to be ghosts?
    On top of which you supposedly need to be taught to do so..but wait Qui Gonn figured it out by himself and I guess Vader did too so..maybe Organa is secretly force sensitive?! Or maybe he somehow teleported away before the planet was destroyed and just decided to up and start a new life.
    Last edited by Surtur; 11-09-2012 at 09:25 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    This actually means nothing to me. Is Smits a bad actor? Absolutely not, but the character he played in Star Wars held no real interest to me. He was just kind of there. Anything that made him interesting(like helping start the rebellion or something) was left in deleted scenes.
    I feel the same way. IMO the only times I've seen him contribute something was during the games and deleted scenes but the actual films itself he's usually overshadowed by more important characters so if I ever see him pop up in Episode 7 my reaction would just be "Meh"
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

He's a minor character that most non-die hards forget even existed in the prequel trilogy, plus he'd have to be aged so much for Episode 7 that he'd be near unrecognizable
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

There is really not that much years between the two trilogy.

The guy wouldn't be all that old. Especially if you consider that with a high technology level such as the one in the Star Wars galaxy, medicine must be pretty advanced and people can hope to reach 100 without too much trouble i dare imagine.
    Last edited by Castel; 11-09-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Well ANH is roughly, what, 20 years post ROTS? Assuming the new trilogy uses Hamill and company, the OT characters will have to be aged about 30 years. So right there is 50 years added onto his character, putting him roughly at 100.

Come on, the guy wasn't 50 years old at the end of first trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    Come on, the guy wasn't 50 years old at the end of first trilogy.
    According to someone on Page 1 of this thread, when ANH happened he was in his 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    He's a minor character that most non-die hards forget even existed in the prequel trilogy, plus he'd have to be aged so much for Episode 7 that he'd be near unrecognizable
    Well who knows..didn't the Force Unleashed games take place 10 years before Ep 4? Organa didn't look too old in that.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    Maybe we could get another set of Prequels that tells Han Solo,and Boba Fett's orgions. Oh what the heck. Toss in Landos's as well.

Han was almost in ROTS.

Oh or they could make a movie out of Shadows of the Empire. That could rock.
    Everyone's too old for that. That needed to happen in 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by Castel
    Well, after all nobody clearly says in the movies that he was on the planet when it blew up.

So why not ?
    Leia did.

LEIA: "General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope."

Meaning Bail was on Alderaan and since he wasn't on Yavin 4, that means that he's dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur
    On top of which you supposedly need to be taught to do so..but wait Qui Gonn figured it out by himself and I guess Vader did too so..maybe Organa is secretly force sensitive?! Or maybe he somehow teleported away before the planet was destroyed and just decided to up and start a new life.
    Qui-gon figured it out because he had been studying how to do so, prior to his death. But he was not accomplished enough to do it like the others did in the OT. That's why he couldn't be seen. Obi-wan and Yoda helped Anakin to retain his identity.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX
    According to someone on Page 1 of this thread, when ANH happened he was in his 60s.
    Right. 67 to be exact. Twenty years back he'd be 47. In real life, Smits is 57 right now. He was 50 when the film came out and two years earlier, he turned 48 during principle photography in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur
    Well who knows..didn't the Force Unleashed games take place 10 years before Ep 4? Organa didn't look too old in that.
    Not that far back. More like four years before ANH. But given Smits age in real life and his appearance, it's right on track.
    Last edited by Mat001; 11-09-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    There is really not that much years between the two trilogy.

The guy wouldn't be all that old. Especially if you consider that with a high technology level such as the one in the Star Wars galaxy, medicine must be pretty advanced and people can hope to reach 100 without too much trouble i dare imagine.
    I dunno. Ben and Vader got pretty well aged in the 20 odd years in between movies 3 & 4.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    Title - Jimmy Smits Open to Reprise Role for "Star Wars: Episode VII"

Translation - Jimmy Smits so desperate for work he'll reprise bit role from the Prequels in order to get cash.
    A lot of his scenes were cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    I dunno. Ben and Vader got pretty well aged in the 20 odd years in between movies 3 & 4.
    Obi-wan led a stressful life with Anakin and then spent twenty years on a desert planet with two suns. Vader used the dark side a lot, which takes a toll on flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi
    A lot of his scenes were cut.
    True. And he probably didn't pay attention too closely to ANH, otherwise, he'd understand that his character was on Alderaan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Obi-wan led a stressful life with Anakin and then spent twenty years on a desert planet with two suns. Vader used the dark side a lot, which takes a toll on flesh.

Jedi are not affected by physical stress. And he didn't do nuthin but hang out in his timeshare and scare sand people....I wish I could get that job.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post

Leia did.

LEIA: "General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope."

Meaning Bail was on Alderaan and since he wasn't on Yavin 4, that means that he's dead.
    Technically Leia could have been mistaken, but her dad would have to a real coward to let everyone think he was dead until the Rebellion was over!

And he definitely wasn't that.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

If this were the TV series, it would make sense since that probably would've taken place between III and IV. Although the status of that is uncertain in the Disney merger (Although presumabely we'll still get at least one "Detours" season).

Funny thing about Smits, he wasn't the original Bail Organa even. British actor Adrian Dunbar was actually filmed for Episode I but his scenes were deleted (and I don't think they're on either the DVD or blu ray although I could be mistaken). So when the character was cast for the last two they went to Smits.

I thought it would've been cool had they had Smits be a sort of Lando character, a romantic rival to Anakin for Padme's affections. Would've made the love story more interesting (Although they kind of did this with a different senator in the CW cartoon).Also Leia's dialogue in ANH suggests that he had a more military role in the Clone Wars and Rebellion. But we got a stuffy senator instead, who Obi-Wan doesn't even directly 'serve' under at all, unless you count the second part of SITH when the wars are already over.

Funny thing is, if you go back to Lucas's background notes for the character, she had Leia have brothers whose fate was unknown although they presumabely would've perished in Aldeeran's destruction. This was kind of thrown out when ROTJ revealed Luke was her brother, and as far as I know there have been no 'foster' siblings (Although Winter from the novels comes close). Still, I suppose they could do something like that and have Smits be the biological offspring or clone of Smits. Kind of happened with the Fetts and the clones...