Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
    14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default Why did Mitt Romney lose?

It seemed like a bit of a long shot going into 2011. No president had been re-elected with unemployment at 10% . Barack Obama was in a tough spot as President in 2011. His healthcare package was under fire from various states who were taking it to the Supreme Court and the jobless rate was still high for the country. It seemed like that Obama was gonna be lucky to get a 2nd term. Because if you follow politics , if a President is around as a country is in a recession , the odds they survive is pretty low. George Bush himself lost in 1992 when the country was deep in a recession.

Of course the Democrats had Bill Clinton and he re-energized a party that was sorely lacking then. Clinton was a young 40ish guy who suddenly exploded on the scene as Governor of Arkansas. He was jokingly a southern bubba but people latched to him and even the youth vote seemed to follow Clinton. Bush never realized how bad he came across on a Rock the Vote when he refused to let the kids interview him or follow him like Clinton did. Its no shock with the slumping economy Bush would lose.

Now this is where the Republicans needed a star. They needed a Reagan type. As much as the party revers Reagan and his policies , they needed someone like him to re-energize the party. Of course the field they would have would be some of the biggest losers and bat shit insane people known to man. Sarah Palin wisely realized people would never vote for her. Because they viewed her as a friggen nutcase who spent one year fighting a cartoon and David Letterman. So she backed out.

The same couldn't be said of Michelle Bachmann who felt she could win this. Picture a dumber version of Palin. At one point in her campaign , Bachmann went to Waterloo , Iowa and declared that as the home of John Wayne she believed in his beliefs. What no one realized in the campaign (least of all Bachmann) was that Waterloo , Iowa was not the home of the famous western actor John Wayne. No... it was home of mass murder John Wayne Gacy. It was so silly that people laughed for weeks . Bachmann's campaign never regained its momentum.

Rick Perry himself had a chance at the brass Republican ring. As some claimed he was a dumber version of George W. Bush. In one debate Perry forgot what 5 groups he would close in government and the ones debating him had to help him guess. It was a comical spot shown a lot. But the real death of Perry's campaign came in the fall when he was supposed to do a speech. Instead the guy got up and did a drunken filled speech laughing. People were stunned , critics were laughing and the supporters started to leave. Perry's campaign folded up soon after , even when he shot a horrible ad proclaiming how he would stop the evil gays and save Christmas for everyone.

Newt Gingrich himself was up to bat next. Gingrich himself was an old politician and now sensed he could grab the brass ring. Of course Gingrich himself wasn't perfect as he was married 3 times and had left one wife when she had cancer. But the Republicans were ready to ignore that. They wanted someone to beat Obama and he was perfect. Well...he was perfect til he gave a speech claiming he would go to the NAACP and tell them to get off the welfare and food stamps. This enraged people to a degree and Gingrich lost as well. (At last check Gingrich wisely decided against going to the NAACP)

Rick Santorum was the next one crowned as the potential champ. Santorum himself was deeply religious and hated the gays with a passion. He would sprout horrible facts like ...65% of gay families are bad and kids should stay with parents who end up in jails. As bad as his kooky facts was , what cost Santorum was his bat shit insane beliefs that people shouldn't go to college. That this was wrong and "snobbish" .

The final real contender was Mitt Romney. The moderate Republican from Massachusetts. Romney had even passed his own version of Obamacare. So of course he had some issues. But the party needed someone who A) Wasn't fucking nuts B) Could win the middle ground voters. So Romney won.

Once he won the Nomination Romney of course started to change. Before this to get the nomination , he would do the one thing he shouldn't have. He tried to appeal and win the Tea Party vote. The Tea Party itself had ran itself thin as the groups so extreme right leanings was really something the middle ground voters didn't care for. Romney however was under the mistaken belief he needed these votes so he would do rallies to show them he could get that vote. Where he would promise to appeal Obamacare and cut taxes across the board.

Romney had no clue that in this day and age , whatever your filmed saying and promising would be used against you so quick. Then he would claim something else that was seen just as quick. It was pretty insane by this point. His own healthcare he signed in Massachusetts , Romney to lure the extreme right wing would proclaim how he'd never do it now. That it was wrong. It was like saying he had made a huge mistake as governor...not helping himself.

end of part 1....
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

By the summer the economy was rebounding more and polls projected Obama winning. The blame on Romney was his record as governor and he needed a young VP to lure the Tea Party vote. Someone like ....Paul Ryan. Who believed that the scum sucking poor needed to die in the streets and all social service programs like Medicare , Welfare and Stamps need to be cut...CUT BIG. So Ryan was named VP and the idea was , even if Mitt lost ...Ryan could be groomed as the future in 2016.

Paul Ryan's beliefs echoed the Tea Party and the idea was , this would help. Ryan would as a Congressman would force his staff to read Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" and believes in the core beliefs that your only supposed to look out for yourself and no one else. That no one else matters in the goal. Never mind that this belief is pretty shitty and many teenagers grow up , Paul Ryan believed in it so much it became his core belief . One reflected by his whole , fuck the poor and let them starve stance.

As the months closed in Romney would flip flop more on TV. One week claiming he'd remove all of Obamacare. Then finding out in a poll people liked a lot of it , then coming back 2-3 weeks later claiming he would keep it. Ryan himself would do more damage as videos of him kicking old people out of town halls who voiced their thoughts against his Ayn Rand philosophy . Ryan would have cops forcefully remove and arrest them. Which was like scenes from Nazi Germany as Ryan would laugh. He of course had no clue these instances were filmed. Nothing says elect me like treating old people badly.

Another thing that was killing Romney was his tax returns. Romney wouldn't release them beyond 2010. When people asked why so little tax information , Romney and his campaign told them to get fucked. Ok he didn't say that word , but he basically said no. For weeks as this went on people figured there was a big smoking bomb. Mitt's wife did him no favors on NBC Today when she told the reporter that they were tired and angry at people wanting to know their tax records. The attitude displayed made people more upset with Mitt Romney.

The real death blow though was coming in September. Romney could have made things close but remember what I posted about video being everywhere ? Well in what Mitt felt was a small private affair with rich industry people to donate for his campaign , Romney made his feelings clear on the 47% of America who are entitled pieces of shit. It was a stunning huge debacle once the tape leaked out from that and Romney's campaign started to go into the tank. To save face the campaign released his tax records to change the subject off his 47% of America video.

In October , Romney did get a bit of momentum when he needed it. He did a great 1st debate. Critics claimed Mitt Romney was back. That he was gonna make it a real race. Of course the critics were smoking serious shit then as Nate Silver marked it at least 30% he could beat Barack Obama. This after the 1st debate surge. This ...was the closest Mitt Romney would ever get .

A week later the destruction of the campaign began with Joe Biden. In a gutsy call by the Obama campaign they told Biden to go after Paul Ryan. In what was witnessed Biden completely destroyed the beliefs and thoughts of Paul Ryan in a debate. At one point it looked like Ryan was gonna cry as Biden spared him nothing. This is where the Obama campaign kicked it in serious. Because for the next 2 debates , Barack Obama tore into Romney and his actions. The result was , whatever bounce Romney got after the 1st company was gone and he actually lost more after the next 2 debates.

Romney himself realized he had gained nothing from the Tea Party and going for them. He then tried to go into moderate Mitt action as Obama wouldn't let him off the ropes. Claiming that Romney suffered from "Romnesia" where he forgot what he's for or against , Obama would make the term work to sum up Mitt Romney.

Maybe if Mitt had realized he didn't need the Tea Party and held to his own beliefs and actually went in a more moderate direction and detailed his actual tax plan , maybe he could have won. With the economy in recovery slowly he had all the momentum to do it. Instead Romney failed and instead of creating a star for the party , the Republicans are seemingly watching a progressive world pass them by and not wanting to vote for people who hate gays or ones who believe their neighbor needing fuck is a piece of garbage.

If the Republican party is gonna win in 2016 , they are gonna have to realize where the voters are. That times have changed and the days of listening to Fox News pundits call those needy entitled and more ...well they don't echo reality. Its time to start caring for your fellow man , no matter his skin. Because this is where the party is losing , minorities now see the party as horrible representatives who claimed they are on welfare or garbage basically. The party had to be alarmed they lost 80% of the minority vote . A lot due not to Obama's skin color...more due to actions of people in the campaign.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Tea party, lost the extra 15% hispanic vote bush had, and tea party breaking party line and saying rape is cool with god.

turn this into a poll and list everything they are using for excuses

also, regardless of which Mitt showed up, he was never going to go into detail about his plans, and his plans for taxes, deregulation, foreign policy, social security, medicare/medicaid, and social programs aka non-corporate entitlements, are anything but moderate.

oh and Moderate Mitt still never bothered to try to get Latinos or Asians and i say his stance on immigration that was the far right of Gingrich and others was all him and not a play for the tea bagging caucus.
    Last edited by 7thangel; 11-08-2012 at 11:00 AM.

People didn't dig the Reed Richards hair.

I heard his breath smells like buffalo ass.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    saying rape is cool with god.
    This one just baffles me. Romney said he disagreed with this idea, but he refused to divorce himself from the man who said it.

Facetiousness aside, the major reason I didn't vote for him is because he and his party are running dangerously close to the theocracy line. Forget the lying, forget the tax cuts for big business and the tax hikes on me, we seriously have to stay away from the whole idea that we need to run the country the way god wants us to. Everything else is small potatoes.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

Most of what I read says he lost because he polarized the Hispanic vote with extreme language regarding immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar View Post
    Facetiousness aside, the major reason I didn't vote for him is because he and his party are running dangerously close to the theocracy line. Forget the lying, forget the tax cuts for big business and the tax hikes on me, we seriously have to stay away from the whole idea that we need to run the country the way god wants us to. Everything else is small potatoes.

For me it was two brands of theocracy. The one you just mentioned and the corporate worship that is becoming perilously close to a new brand of theocracy.

I can't vote for anyone that doesn't have some consistent values. He's an empty suit, no there there. I have a hard enough time respecting him as a person, let alone imagine him as president.

o

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    This one just baffles me. Romney said he disagreed with this idea, but he refused to divorce himself from the man who said it.
    It wasn't just the rape arguments, it was that the Republicans can't seem to figure out that people aren't just going to ignore those comments. For me, the Republican party itself seems so divorced from reality. Obama won because he at least tried to be civil and acknowledged that there are non-white, non-male voters.

The fact is, the Republican party doesn't realize that women, African Americans, immigrants, Hispanics, Asians, and gays, lesbians, and transgender people vote. The Republicans, I think, seriously believe we live in 1950.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar View Post
    And that's another thing. Some people voted for Romney because Billy Grahm told them them. And candidate that's so heavily endorsed by a religion is suspect in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    Most of what I read says he lost because he polarized the Hispanic vote with extreme language regarding immigration.
    I've been reading that immigration policy was like 5th on the list of issues for hispanic voters.
    Also read that 72% of the people who voted were white.

I've been reading that immigration policy was like 5th on the list of issues for hispanic voters.
    Can you give a link to that? I've been trying to find voter-statistics all day!

It probably doesn't boil down into one easy formula.

But a significant number of Hispanic voters that voted for Bush moved to Obama. It wasn't so much the policy of Immigration as much as the word's chosen to oppose Immigration reform, or support Arizona's policies.

I haven't seen the demographics of the white vote, but I did read that there wasn't as much movement (from Republican to Democrat). Hence, the white vote was less of a deciding factor.