Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414748495051525354 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    Up until the last line you quoted, that review was fine. I guess anyone (the majority of people) who find this story enjoyable, are just plain wrong. Yes folks, only the CBR forum has the true comic book fans. Only CBR has members whose opinions' should be taken seriously. It's obvious any positive reviewers are being paid by DC, or something. So that's why the give it favorable reviews; month in, and month out.
    Oh sure. The part of the review claiming Batman is closer to Joker than his allies and comparing their relationship to an odd "marriage"; totally fine. Nothing silly there.

Additionally, these claims that you shouldn't take anyone's opinions but my own seriously, that CBR has the only true fans, that reviewers are paid off and whatever other nonsense you're putting into people's mouths; starting to come off as a little immature. Why so defensive?

I've never made these types of claims, and really resent the insinuation.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

^ well, I keep hearing here (not by just you) that any positive review is wrong; blah blah. I just found it funny to post a positive review and write it off with an "lol". That comes off pretty defensive, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    I don't recall that. Could you refresh my memory?

I loved that period after NML Akin stepped in. It definitely freshened up the mix without sacrificing anything crucial. I loved that Batman would visit Gordon and talk shop, even though Jim was retired.
    Sorry, I don't remember the exact moment. It may have been in the first arc of Bats post OYL.

I just remember there's a little bit on why Gordon is back and he says something along the lines that the corruption of the GCPD ran all the way to the top.

And I completely agree, Batman seeing Gordon in a non professional (on one end, at least) capacity was pretty refreshing. I also really liked Akin's complicated feelings on Batman. It wasn't downright hatred until war games (another reason why that's terrible) but more like he despised batman on principle but at the same time acknowledged he was necessary and that he did good for the city.

^ well, I keep hearing here (not by just you) that any positive review is wrong; blah blah. I just found it funny to post a positive review and write it off with an "lol". That comes off pretty defensive, too.
    Honestly it isn't a very good review. It reeks of someone who's just super duper excited about having a classic joker vs. bats story.

I thought the issue was ok, and I can understand some of these really high reviews, but I don't think any review should slip into fangasm.
    Last edited by Whip Whirlwind; 11-21-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whip Whirlwind View Post
    Honestly it isn't a very good review. It reeks of someone who's just super duper excited about having a classic joker vs. bats story.
    There's nothing wrong with being excited for the story and letting a bit of that excitement show through in a review as long as you don't go overboard with it...

I thought the issue was ok, and I can understand some of these really high reviews, but I don't think any review should slip into fangasm.
    ...unfortunantly reviews (not just for comics but across the board as well) tend to "slip into fangasm" territory rather to often for my tastes, which is likely the reason I don't bother reading them. At the end of the day it doesn't matter to me whether some reviewer liked or disliked something. I'm only interested in whether or not I enjoyed it and that should matter more than what some reviewer said.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 11-21-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with being excited for the story and letting a bit of that excitement show through in a review as long as you don't go overboard with it...
    Yeah, and here he went a bit overboard with it.

...unfortunantly reviews (not just for comics but across the board as well) tend to "slip into fangasm" territory rather to often for my tastes, which is likely the reason I don't bother reading them. At the end of the day it doesn't matter to me whether some reviewer liked or disliked something. I'm only interested in whether or not I enjoyed it and that should matter more than what some reviewer said.
    CBR's okay more often than not, although they do tend to get caught up in the hype train sometimes. But I think reviews can be useful for describing a comic and what it's all about, I'd say the scores are the unnecessary part, but I can understand how some fans would want an at a glance review.

Which I personally thought was funny. Another of my favorite quotes:

"It's like the Joker is focused this time". Because he's usually such a slacker in the murder department. He might as well say "It's like Batman is really angry at Joker this time. For realz."

If we can't laugh a little at comic reviews, then what can we laugh at?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    Which I personally thought was funny. Another of my favorite quotes:

"It's like the Joker is focused this time". Because he's usually such a slacker in the murder department. He might as well say "It's like Batman is really angry at Joker this time. For realz."
    Hahaha and this is a serious review?

I just found it funny to post a positive review and write it off with an "lol"
    The review was funny to me. What do you want me to say?

Here, how about this, next time I link a review, I'll just post some random word. I'll pick up a comic and just type out the first word I see. Today's secret word is: Deady (yeah, no joke. Thank Deadpool #2).

So here. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59717#14

Deady.

Is that less defensive to you now?
    Last edited by tylenoljones; 11-21-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Sorry, I don't remember the exact moment. It may have been in the first arc of Bats post OYL.

I just remember there's a little bit on why Gordon is back and he says something along the lines that the corruption of the GCPD ran all the way to the top.
    I do seem to recall that statement. I didn't connect it to Akin (was it Akin or Akins?)...Akins, just checked. (Darn you Clay Akin.)

I'll have to reread that and see how it played out again. I don't recall getting a very reasonable explanation for Akins' departure.

He was a great character too. Should have gotten a better send off.

Maybe someone will revisit this somewhere down the line.

It's definitely a review that's dripping with syrupy appreciation.

I don't fault the guy for liking it, but every positive review does not need to suggest the penultimate confrontation.

If this is the best Joker story he's read, I'd suggest expanding his reference base, though I suppose I should remind myself that taste is purely subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Hahaha and this is a serious review?
    "It's like they're giving us seriously unbiased opinions this time."

It's definitely a review that's dripping with syrupy appreciation.
    I'm hungry for pancakes now.

BANNED

If this is the best Joker story he's read, I'd suggest expanding his reference base, though I suppose I should remind myself that taste is purely subjective.
    How condescending of you.

I would be given to agree with you on that after taking a look at it myself. As I said showing a little enthusiaum for what you are reviewing might draw in people but to much oftentimes has the reverse effect.

CBR's okay more often than not, although they do tend to get caught up in the hype train sometimes. But I think reviews can be useful for describing a comic and what it's all about, I'd say the scores are the unnecessary part, but I can understand how some fans would want an at a glance review.
    I agree that sometimes CBR's reviews are decent. I like reviewers who can give a decent and balance review of things myself but those are few and far between. I also feel that sometimes the scores given to things are based more on whose writing the book and whatever their prior successes have been and less on whether or not the book in front of them is actually good stylistically speaking.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

And now I've unintentionally derailed the thread. Sweeeeet, sweeeeet pancakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    How condescending of you.
    Third base.

Me too. Damn you and your "syrupy appreciation" ispacehead.