Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 435 of 802
  1. #421
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    Court of Owls was more just goofy Saturday morning cartoony fluff I thought.
    You mean, like a comic book?

  2. #422
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Concept Coop View Post
    It works, only if "You don't like Michael Jackson because you're jealous" also works.
    I don't see your point. Yes, that sounds similar to some of the claims being made. People are declaring that a popular thing is being hated only because it's popular. You can sub in anything popular. Here's a few, so that you don't have to bother replying with them:

    The Transformers films, The Star Wars Prequels, Honey Boo-Boo, Dane Cook, Jersey Shore, etc.

  3. #423
    Cyclops Is Right Kiryu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah Snyder's writing couldn't have possibly gotten worse. People just hate him because he's popular!

    You sound like one of those people who would defend Justin Bieber with "Oh you're just jealous."
    This "they hate it because it's popular" thing has gotta be one of the most worthless attempts to invalidate people's opinions I've seen here in a bit. I remember a lot of the same people in this thread in the old Batman and Robin threads when it was the highest selling Batman book and in fact, the only Non-Event-tie-in book DC published that could break 80k a month, somehow everyone managed to not, "tar and feather" Grant for committing the sin of being a popular high selling comic writer. I wonder why.

    OH WAIT! I suddenly remembered like an LSD Flashback. Because that argument is pure bullcrap and so the people using it can just go "Neener neener, your opinion doesn't matter because you only hate it because it's popular" and everyone has the old "Well at MY local comic store we're burning blasphemers at Alter of Snyder and committing ritual sacrifices of non-believers in our Court of Owl masks and everyone is totally into it"

    I guess it's just so hard to have an honest discussion about opinions without trying to invalidate people's opinions. Something you don't really see many posting an honest, not fawning, opinion of Snyder's work do to his fans - no one calls them bandwagon jumpers, Snyderites, etc, etc, with anywhere near the frequency people who aren't jumping for joy and rediscovering the meaning of life every time Snyder's Batman comes out. Because everyone knows it's a crap argument that's only for people whose feelings are butthurt over someone not liking something they do and can't cope.

    EDIT: Just to clarify my phrasing before I'm nit-picked to death, I don't just think people posting non-glowing reviews are the only ones being honest. I think everyone posting their opinion of the work here is being honest. But the people who try to invalidate other folks likes and dislikes are the ones kidding themselves.
    Last edited by Kiryu; 11-15-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    Don't worry.
    My brother and sister of the atom.
    We are the X-men, and we stand together

  4. #424
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Concept Coop View Post
    You mean, like a comic book?
    Yes, the "It's only a comic book" defense. My favorite.

    What did you all expect? Well told and thoughtful stories that aren't cliched and actually have beleivable characters? It's only a comic book.

    Alan Moore must be rolling in his grave.
    Last edited by tylenoljones; 11-15-2012 at 12:27 PM.

  5. #425
    Gigantic Member ispacehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Concept Coop View Post
    You mean, like a comic book?
    Yeah, but with extra goofy fluff though.

  6. #426
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiryu View Post
    This "they hate it because it's popular" thing has gotta be one of the most worthless attempts to invalidate people's opinions I've seen here in a bit. I remember a lot of the same people in this thread in the old Batman and Robin threads when it was the highest selling Batman book and in fact, the only Non-Event-tie-in book DC published that could break 80k a month, somehow everyone managed to not, "tar and feather" Grant for committing the sin of being a popular high selling comic writer. I wonder why.

    OH WAIT! I suddenly remembered like an LSD Flashback. Because that argument is pure bullcrap and so the people using it can just go "Neener neener, your opinion doesn't matter because you only hate it because it's popular" and everyone has the old "Well at MY local comic store we're burning blasphemers at Alter of Snyder and committing ritual sacrifices of non-believers in our Court of Owl masks and everyone is totally into it"

    I guess it's just so hard to have an honest discussion about opinions without trying to invalidate people's opinions. Something you don't really see many posting an honest, not fawning, opinion of Snyder's work do to his fans - no one calls them bandwagon jumpers, Snyderites, etc, etc, with anywhere near the frequency people who aren't jumping for joy and rediscovering the meaning of life every time Snyder's Batman comes out. Because everyone knows it's a crap argument that's only for people whose feelings are butthurt over someone not liking something they do and can't cope.

    EDIT: Just to clarify my phrasing before I'm nit-picked to death, I don't just think people posting non-glowing reviews are the only ones being honest. I think everyone posting their opinion of the work here is being honest. But the people who try to invalidate other folks likes and dislikes are the ones kidding themselves.
    Well said. And nice Avatar.

  7. #427
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    I don't see your point. Yes, that sounds similar to some of the claims being made. People are declaring that a popular thing is being hated only because it's popular. You can sub in anything popular. Here's a few, so that you don't have to bother replying with them:

    The Transformers films, The Star Wars Prequels, Honey Boo-Boo, Dane Cook, Jersey Shore, etc.
    Or the original Star Wars trilogy, Led Zeppelin, Louis C.K., and bacon.

  8. #428
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    Yeah, but with extra goofy fluff though.
    It was actually one of the less goofy books on shelves. People seem to think it isn't goofy enough, and is too dark and un-Morrison-y.

  9. #429
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Concept Coop View Post
    Or the original Star Wars trilogy, Led Zeppelin, Louis C.K., and bacon.
    All valid. Except the bacon one. Those people are legit crazy.

  10. #430
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    All valid. Except the bacon one. Those people are legit crazy.
    Agreed. Crazy. And dangerous.

  11. #431
    Gigantic Member ispacehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    Yes, the "It's only a comic book" defense. My favorite.
    Mine too.


    I wasn't thinking that the day Sarah Essen died.

    Or on the day that Bane lifted Batman over his head.

    Or on the day that Jezebel Jet read the words "Zur En Arrh" from the television screen.

    Or on the day that Joker buried Dr. Hurt.

    Just sayin.

  12. #432
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    Yes, the "It's only a comic book" defense. My favorite.
    Grant Morrison's too. Except he's not sarcastic about it.

  13. #433
    Robin Graves zur en arrh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,188

    Default

    I like how literally everyone who doesn't like this book explains why and then that one guy comes in and goes "no one ever says why they don't like this book".

    It's almost as ridiculous as Concept Coop demanding to know what other books people like as if that has any relevance in regards to the quality of this book.

  14. #434
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Concept Coop View Post
    Grant Morrison's too. Except he's not sarcastic about it.
    You'd have a point if I were arguing for realism. I'm down with dudes throwing people into the sun, arctic breath, and the lasso of truth.

    Just not when they're featured in sub-par stories.

  15. #435
    Gigantic Member ispacehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Concept Coop View Post
    It was actually one of the less goofy books on shelves. People seem to think it isn't goofy enough, and is too dark and un-Morrison-y.
    I think the Joker story is a bit dark. The Owls wasn't so much I thought.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •