Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

I don't see how Joker cares about Bruce Wayne being Batman. He doesn't want to do anything to Batman but make him better. If his supporting cast is being targeted, how does that show him caring about his identity?
    I liked this issue a lot Joker is showing a bit of growth with his new way of thinking. He understands the necessity of organized crime to galvanize Gotham city which in turn keeps Batman around.
    That backup with Penguin was nice

This whole arc seems to be just like The Dark Knight where the story is less about Batman but more about the Joker.
    Currrently Reading- Suicide Squad,Justice League,Batwoman,Batman,Batman and Robin,Detective Comics, Wonder Woman,Batman Eternal,Mighty Avengers,All new X-factor,Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoFan1973 View Post
    I don't think Joker should actually be funny. I prefer this take, where he's an intelligent psychopath with a twisted worldview that only he finds hilarious.
    He's still funny, but the humor is just twisted and dark. Ledger's Joker pretty much did this perfectly. What he was doing was horrible, but his lines and mannerisms were even downright hilarious in some points.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    It's a trope, and there's a difference. Saga is so much more than that premise.
    Nah, I'm not buying it. Saga is a decent comic, but is highly overrated. And the story is cliche, but with colorful characters (like avatar). The Will's pretty awesome, though.

I don't think Joker should actually be funny. I prefer this take, where he's an intelligent psychopath with a twisted worldview that only he finds hilarious. I think this is one of the few times the character has ever felt like he's earning his reputation as a significant threat.

I support this statement 100%. The only person Joker should be funny to, is the Joker. That doesn't mean some of the things he does shouldn't make you laugh. But, it's more of an uneasy "I can't believe he did that" type of chuckle and not slapstick humor some people want.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Nah, it's a really dense and thematically powerful book with vast world building and crazy good execution.
    Quoted for truth. I have no opinion on this book, but hell to yes, Saga is quite excellent and not really overrated at all to this read. Unlike certain sales topping Superhero-things with national advertising campaigns and every reviewer paid by CBR and Newsarama already proclaiming each arc as a masterpiece before the first issue hits.

And also, every story boils down to a cliche, like "The one where the characters are in trouble, and they have to figure out how to get out of it." I like that one a lot.
    Last edited by Kiryu; 11-14-2012 at 12:19 PM.
    Don't worry.
    My brother and sister of the atom.
    We are the X-men, and we stand together

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Thought this good. Joker has thrown down the gauntlet

I gave the first few issues of Saga a try but it was too decompressed for my taste. And the male lead was a wuss.

Liked this issue of Batman. I think the Joker bodycount is getting a little ridiculous to the point that they'd be sending the National Guard out to get him.

But it's a fun story and I can't wait till the next issue come out. I'm slightly dreading the shape poor Alfred is going to be in by the end of this arc. Jason's back from the dead, Tim's parents are alive and Batgirl's healed. Bruce is likely going to get something new to mourn over.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    Nah, I'm not buying it. Saga is a decent comic, but is highly overrated. And the story is cliche, but with colorful characters (like avatar). The Will's pretty awesome, though.
    Okay but you're still wrong. It's only cliche if the execution is predictable, which it has been anything but so far. Just using a common premise is just a trope.

Quote Originally Posted by cactusmaac View Post
    I gave the first few issues of Saga a try but it was too decompressed for my taste.
    What? I can't even see how anyone could say that, it's a very dense story with numerous plotlines running through it which are all going at a good pace.

And the male lead was a wuss.
    Ah, you didn't make it to issue five, then.

How many big Joker stories have there been?

In TKJ, he went after Gordon and Barb.

In Soft Targets he went on a rampage with a sniper rifle.

In DKR he killed Dave Endochrine's audience and the people at the fair.

In Batman #1 and The Man Who Laughs he went on a crime spree.

In Joker's Five Way Revenge, he went after his old gang.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

It makes you guys feel any better, my friend who is basically my "comic sensi" doesn't like the story either.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    It makes you guys feel any better, my friend who is basically my "comic sensi" doesn't like the story either.
    I don't read this book, Holmes is on my friends list so I saw his post cheerleading Saga and wanted to also cheerlead it, because it's a great book.

But I just want to point out that it doesn't bother me that people like stuff I don't, or don't like stuff i do. I have my opinion and like any other poster sometimes I like to post it, positive or negative. There's no hard feelings, no competition. Just simply like and don't like. Some people can deal with that though. Others try to silence people who disagree with them or make them feel bad for doing so. I try not to because I think that's very uncool.

Just like I have no problem not enjoying Michael Bay's Transformers movies, some of the highest grossing films of all time, I have no problem not enjoying any high selling comic book nor do I have any problem with anyone enjoying them while I'm not.

And sorry, but people are going to have to learn to accept that not liking something is valid. And that people who like and don't like the book should be WELCOME in the DISCUSSION thread. EVERY. WEEK. Not harassed into exile for daring to dislike something. No one is trying to rain on anyone's parade. People are posting their honest opinions, folk should spend less time getting worked up into a tizzy over people not liking a book and daring to try and talk about it.

If it bothers folk so much, make cheerleading threads where disliking isn't on topic and see how interesting the discussion is there. Maybe that'll be more to some people's liking.
    Last edited by Kiryu; 11-14-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    Don't worry.
    My brother and sister of the atom.
    We are the X-men, and we stand together

Liked this issue of Batman. I think the Joker bodycount is getting a little ridiculous to the point that they'd be sending the National Guard out to get him.

But it's a fun story and I can't wait till the next issue come out. I'm slightly dreading the shape poor Alfred is going to be in by the end of this arc. Jason's back from the dead, Tim's parents are alive and Batgirl's healed. Bruce is likely going to get something new to mourn over.
    Good points on all counts. What happened to Alfred definitely pushed Batman to the limit. I liked the conversation he (Batman) was having with himself "normally I'd be talking to Alfred, hearing his voice and being reassured."

What will happen? Who will Batman mourn? I dunno. Batgirl is supposed to have a major change... I doubt she will be paralyzed again though. Damien won't die since... I don't know about the others. I don't think Alfred will die since I can Joker wanting Alfred alive so Batman will always be haunted, and so that Alfred will always suffer.

But yeah, by this time you'd think there would be a city wide manhunt for Joker. He's kinda hax this time around. He's always been one step ahead of the cops, and he's always been clever but this time around he's some sort of mastermind, I'm not sure I believe that, but w/e.

Quote Originally Posted by HXHAlex View Post
    I'm more curious about Joker's future. Are they gonna keep the face ripped off?
    I think Joker will die. The face being torn off and put on like a mask... at first I thought it was too over the top, and a weird homage to the masked killers in horror movies... but with Jim Gordon's crazy son in the picture (Batgirl) I can see Joker dying (which would be unexpected) and Jim Gordon's son putting on the mask. It may make a bit of sense with Joker talking about how crime is a religion in Gotham-- in this way, Joker will "live on."

Quote Originally Posted by zur en arrh View Post
    Reading it right after Saga, a book that has dialogue that is pitch perfect and natural, makes it even worse.
    Yeah, because a bunch of shouting and cursing constitutes pitch perfect dialogue. Those characters experience one main mood with tiny sub moods throughout the book, and that is anger. Don't get me wrong I love Saga, but my taking of literacy and writing courses has made me very critical of the way dialogue is composed.

This was a great issue. Loved it.

BANNED

So is Alfred gonna be blind now?? Loved the issue of course. Capullo is such a freaking fantastic artist. His work is beautiful