View Poll Results: Is Amazing Apider-man #700 going to be your Jumping off point?

Voters
235. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

71 30.21%
  • No

95 40.43%
  • I'll play it by ear Depending on how Superior Spider-man is

69 29.36%
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    Nope, I'm not jumping off. I trust Slott to deliver the goods. Plus, even if I think the new stories suck, I'll keep buying them because I buy everything Spidey. I'm in it for the long-haul.
    Yeah, basically the same with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    Nope, I'm not jumping off. I trust Slott to deliver the goods. Plus, even if I think the new stories suck, I'll keep buying them because I buy everything Spidey. I'm in it for the long-haul.
    Are you okay with Peter out for good if it works out that way? Isn't Peter Spidey?

I'm jumping off all comics with #700.

Not because I dislike the direction but because I think it's time. I'll keep up with anything that sounds interesting (possibly Superior) in trade.

I only really follow spider-man these days. If they're really changing spider-man to a new guy, I'm not going to be too interested in Superior. Though I will give it a fair try, it's very likely 700 will be my jumping off point. All good things must come to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    I'm jumping off all comics with #700.

Not because I dislike the direction but because I think it's time. I'll keep up with anything that sounds interesting (possibly Superior) in trade.
    I find this interesting and maybe this is worthy of it's own thread---I am referring to the pre-meditated notion to leave comics altogether, BTW.

I only went cold turkey on comics once; it was the early 1980's and I was starting college and, even though I had read/loved Spidey, X-Men and a few other titles for about a decade at that point, two things drove me to leave it all behind (for about a year or so): the financial/time demands that college brought and the feeling that most of the books I read seemed to be just plodding along without much different from the prior years. Not to bash Denny O'Neil, but it was his run on ASM that left me cold---OTOH, it was the great work that Stern brought to ASM that brought me back.

Anyway, I would be curious to hear more about others' decisions to drop out of comics altogether and what, if anything, brought them back.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I find this interesting and maybe this is worthy of it's own thread---I am referring to the pre-meditated notion to leave comics altogether, BTW.

I only went cold turkey on comics once; it was the early 1980's and I was starting college and, even though I had read/loved Spidey, X-Men and a few other titles for about a decade at that point, two things drove me to leave it all behind (for about a year or so): the financial/time demands that college brought and the feeling that most of the books I read seemed to be just plodding along without much different from the prior years. Not to bash Denny O'Neil, but it was his run on ASM that left me cold---OTOH, it was the great work that Stern brought to ASM that brought me back.

Anyway, I would be curious to hear more about others' decisions to drop out of comics altogether and what, if anything, brought them back.
    I left comics in the early 90s. The Death of Superman brought me back.

I left comics in the early 2000s. The Superman 'triangle' era was over, Batman was slowing down after a decade of life-changing crossovers, Spider-Man hadn't felt right since the Mackie/Byrne run and I wasn't overly enthused about JMS' origin retcon, and I was starting a family.

Don't remember exactly when I got back in, to be honest. I think Civil War piqued my curiosity.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Everyone saying "I want to read about Peter Parker so I'm dropping this" is overlooking the possibility that he might still stick around, even if someone else is in the tights. I'm guessing, as someone else has, that he gets "cured" in #700 and appears to help the new guy out in Superior.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

The 90's Clone Saga killed it for me years ago. Dropped comics six months before the "Revelations" story came out and didn't look back.

I think it was Civil War or oddly, OMD, that brought me back. The first issue of OMD was the first comic I'd bought in years. That and Grant Morrison's Batman.

im jumping off spidey unless 700 is a major u turn im not seeing im getting fearless defenders instead i needed to cut my buget back and no peter just gets me to drop spidey pretty easy

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

I'm not going anywhere. Admittedly, finances have stalled my recent buys, but I predict that'll change by January. Or I'll just switch exclusively to trades. Still deciding.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

my understanding of marvel now was to introduce new creative teams and directions for the relaunched titles; ive not liked ASM since OMD after giving it multiple chances, so i was hoping for a new team and direction to reignite my interest

however as i dislike the creative team behind superior and what ive heard so far, i wont be buying it

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rZi;16134770[B
    ]my understanding of marvel now was to introduce new creative teams and directions for the relaunched titles[/B]; ive not liked ASM since OMD after giving it multiple chances, so i was hoping for a new team and direction to reignite my interest

however as i dislike the creative team behind superior and what ive heard so far, i wont be buying it
    They also stated that one book -- Spidey's, it turns out -- would not see much of a change.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

I'll carry on reading. Not going to decide now if I'm jumping off as we don't actually know what's happening. And I think I'll try out Superior no matter what happens, I trust Slott enough to go along with it. But if I really dislike it and it's not Peter, good chance I'll stop reading Spidey until he returns.
    Peter Parker is my lord and saviour.
    Show Teddy some love!
    "I want Apex to feast on Reptil like a pregnant khaleesi." - Sanji
    MY ART

This is my third time to actively collect comics. In the late 70's I collected only Avengers and Amazing Spider-Man. A friend and I both decided to collect both series from 100 up since those were the ones we thought we could afford in near mint. I even remember buying a gorgeous ASM 121 for $15 at a flea market. Over time I just lost interest and was more interested in cars and girls. I'm not even sure what I did with them, but I know I got rid of them.

In the mid 80's, another friend had a collection of X-men that I borrowed and got the fever again. For about a year or so I started buying again and building up some pretty decent stuff.
    I even had a summer job at a comic store and the collection really was coming along. I eventually had to sell some of them for collge money. I started college and my first weekend I got a DUI. With no employment and not wanting to go to jail, I had to sell the rest. After that I figured I was done with them, and for 25 years I was.

But a couple of years ago I was remembering some of the old Spidey issues and found a local comic shop where I picked up some back issues and some new stuff. I was really just curious if I could be as passionate about them as I was when I was younger. It took time, but before long I was beginning to get excited about reading them and started buying like crazy. Now I have all the Avengers and Amazing Spider-Man that I wanted when I was a kid, plus a lot more.

I collected comics through college, and ironically it is now that I have more money that I'm deciding to drop them.

I don't want to spend too much time and money reading comics when I should be saving for a life and a family, and with the title I've collected for years coming to an end and my favorite character seemingly disappearing from the book, it all just works as a good time to get out.

I'm going to stay reading Venom, Scarlet Spider, Justice League (maybe) and Batman (and Sydner's Superman series when it comes out) in trade, and if the reviews/previews for Superior are good I might follow that too but to follow the monthlies is too expensive now and the page count is so short that I'm usually done in a couple of minutes. I'd rather spend half an hour to an hour reading a trade. Not to mention I'm out of room to store all the issues, and don't have an iPad or similar to read digital - not to mention the fact that I prefer having my favorite character's adventures in hardcopy.

Thinking of 700 (or really, 15.1) as my final issue makes the buildup even more exciting, too.