View Poll Results: Is Amazing Apider-man #700 going to be your Jumping off point?

Voters
235. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

71 30.21%
  • No

95 40.43%
  • I'll play it by ear Depending on how Superior Spider-man is

69 29.36%
Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Peter cant date if hes married. Those stories cant be told at all.
    Seriously though, has ANY of the painfully few attempts Peter had at dating been worth OMD? They spent ages tiptoeing around Carlie and when it finally happened it clodded on until Spider Island when the unforgivable crime of having a love interest who knows Peter's identity was prevented, they had nostrings-mask sex with Felica and not-actually-drunk sorta-sex with that room mate whatever her name is. And we've basically been told that we're never gonna have Spidey with a fellow super heroine like Carol because, again, we can't have Peter be dating anyone who knows he's Spidey. And that's it. Pretty much every GOOD story since OMD - New Ways to Die, Spider Island, Grim Hunt - could have worked with minimal tweaking.

Does it matter though?

I mean, does it really matter?

What's done is done is done.

That's it.

It's over.

It's not going back.

Get the hell over it.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    Does it matter though?

I mean, does it really matter?

What's done is done is done.

That's it.

It's over.

It's not going back.

Get the hell over it.
    In real life, no. To people who read the Spidey comics for anything up to 20-30 years and grew up with the Peter/MJ marriage or felt that Aunt May as a character had one last chance to pass on with any retcon garbage and who thought that OMD was one big slap in the face designed to throw them away in lieu of younger readers... yes.

It is done. But we're not all going to get the hell over it until something changes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    In real life, no. To people who read the Spidey comics for anything up to 20-30 years and grew up with the Peter/MJ marriage or felt that Aunt May as a character had one last chance to pass on with any retcon garbage and who thought that OMD was one big slap in the face designed to throw them away in lieu of younger readers... yes.

It is done. But we're not all going to get the hell over it until something changes back.
    Well it's not. You can be a bitter old man and complain about a fictional story that happen five years and hundreds of issues ago, or you can move the hell on with your life.

Choose carefully, as one of these options are decisively more pathetic then the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    Well it's not. You can be a bitter old man and complain about a fictional story that happen five years and hundreds of issues ago, or you can move the hell on with your life.

Choose carefully, as one of these options are decisively more pathetic then the other one.
    I'd hardly being 25 an 'old man' but to each their own. Yeah, it's fictional. And no, OMD hasn't wrecked my life and made me want to spend every waking second since 2007 in its undoing. And yes, not every Spidey story since has been crap. What is important is my opinion, and that's that a fictional character who'd lived by the mantra of 'With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility' did a very irresponsible and selfish thing with a fictional demonic entity and since that time for me and presumably a handful of others has seen to lose some of that in the process, together with sealing the apparent eternal unaging, will always be single and kinda sorta go on dates which lead to little or nowhere guy with the ever-unaware Aunt who must not know her nephew's secret again because god forbid that might develop her character.

You're totally entitled to your opinion, that's fine. But I can't stand how some posters think it isn't possible to say things against OMD and the situation since in a rational way. So yeah, that's my two cents.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Seriously though, has ANY of the painfully few attempts Peter had at dating been worth OMD?
    That doesnt matter in the discussion of whether a story can be told vs cant with a married peter. Not even the quality of the story matters in that discussion. The fact of the matter is that having peter date carlie in a story cannot be done in the same way while he is married to MJ. Either the context completely changes as now peter is cheating on mj.... or one has to remove the story of the dating from the comic. Clearly it is a story that cant be told as it was told if you have a still married peter.

R.I.P. Blue Beetle AlanScott606's Avatar

If Peter dies I'm out no questions asked. If Peter becomes a supporting cast member then sure, I will stick around.

I like Dan Slott's work so far and I won't bail unless Peter is dead, that's the only way to get me to drop the book cold turkey.

Did Peter and Carlie have sex? Because outside of some kissing scenes, I am not seeing how the exact story could not have been told without the cheating aspect. Just some dialogue changes. The dating itself is not the story, it is just something that happened in the story. The two could have been getting together to discuss a case or as friends, and still have the same story progression.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

That doesnt matter in the discussion of whether a story can be told vs cant with a married peter. Not even the quality of the story matters in that discussion. The fact of the matter is that having peter date carlie in a story cannot be done in the same way while he is married to MJ. Either the context completely changes as now peter is cheating on mj.... or one has to remove the story of the dating from the comic. Clearly it is a story that cant be told as it was told if you have a still married peter.
    I suppose the problem lies in the fact that you have a selection of readers like me who grew up with a Married Peter and MJ in the comics, which lasted for getting on twenty years, just as older fans might have spent some years with Peter dating Betty or Gwen. But the character has to go on infinitely and yet remain with all of his core mechanics (young adult, makes mistakes and juggles responsibilities etc) so I suppose it makes sense that Peter and MJ would be seperated sooner or later. For me it was the way it was done and then how that context really hasn't been used to it's full effect. For me if Peter's gonna be able to date, ideally he should be ok to go out with fellow super heroines, but we've been told that avenue is not allowed to develop properly. I guess as a MJ person I wish that there were writers on the comic who would know how to write a Married Peter and MJ, but to each their own. The married vs single argument and the neveraging one seem to go hand in hand. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Did Peter and Carlie have sex? Because outside of some kissing scenes, I am not seeing how the exact story could not have been told without the cheating aspect. Just some dialogue changes. The dating itself is not the story, it is just something that happened in the story. The two could have been getting together to discuss a case or as friends, and still have the same story progression.
    Its heavily implied that they did after she shows him the spidey tattoo. Likewise, when peter was having adventures while married... was the marriage the story or the adventure? If you are going to argue that a subplot is not a story portion and can be dropped or tweak and maintain the story... then why did such a big fuss occur over doing that with the marriage?

Also we know for a fact that he and Black Cat do... would that not be cheating on mj if maintained?

I suppose the problem lies in the fact that you have a selection of readers like me who grew up with a Married Peter and MJ in the comics, which lasted for getting on twenty years, just as older fans might have spent some years with Peter dating Betty or Gwen. But the character has to go on infinitely and yet remain with all of his core mechanics (young adult, makes mistakes and juggles responsibilities etc) so I suppose it makes sense that Peter and MJ would be seperated sooner or later. For me it was the way it was done and then how that context really hasn't been used to it's full effect. For me if Peter's gonna be able to date, ideally he should be ok to go out with fellow super heroines, but we've been told that avenue is not allowed to develop properly. I guess as a MJ person I wish that there were writers on the comic who would know how to write a Married Peter and MJ, but to each their own. The married vs single argument and the neveraging one seem to go hand in hand. :)
    perhaps... specifically to the dating a super hero.... we know the current guard doesnt like the idea, that doesnt mean its off limits in the future.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Black Cat is clearly on Pete's list of 5 celebrity exceptions he can sleep with no questions asked.

As are women with Spider-Man tattoos.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Its heavily implied that they did after she shows him the spidey tattoo. Likewise, when peter was having adventures while married... was the marriage the story or the adventure? If you are going to argue that a subplot is not a story portion and can be dropped or tweak and maintain the story... then why did such a big fuss occur over doing that with the marriage?
    The way I see the Carlie-Peter relationship story, its the typical two people meet, fall for each other, date a bit, then break up. When I say dating is not the story, I only mean that the story is the relationship rather than an individual date. An individual date might be part of a the relationship story or another story or both. Sort of how a fight is part of a story, but not the story itself usually. If they weren't dating, it could have been - two people meet, develop a professional relationship, becomes a friendship, collaborate together a bit, then have a falling out. As a subplot to other things that were happening at the time, I am not seeing the value change in the larger stories of the book.

I would say that the marriage was a story. Sort of an ongoing subplot that became the focus at times. Why the big fuss? I think its because people didn't like OMD. I'm not trying to dodge your question, but perceptions of a story color perceptions of justifications for that story.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 11-15-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Black Cat is clearly on Pete's list of 5 celebrity exceptions he can sleep with no questions asked.

As are women with Spider-Man tattoos.
    what about MJ and Bobby Carr.... is it ok for MJ to be in her underwear with a movie star in his bed while being married to peter? lol

I currently have a sub to AMS. It will be automatically switched to Superior. I will keep reading and if I don't like it, I'll make sure it doesn't auto-renew. I have the option to switch to a different title and might if I don't like where this is going at all. I'm disappointed with the idea of them removing Peter, but if he is still in the comic in some capacity I will probably stick around. Killing him might cause me to quit though.