View Poll Results: Is Amazing Apider-man #700 going to be your Jumping off point?

Voters
235. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

71 30.21%
  • No

95 40.43%
  • I'll play it by ear Depending on how Superior Spider-man is

69 29.36%
Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dragon View Post
    Every story since then could've been done with Peter and Mary Jane being married.

Writers complained that writing a married Peter Parker was just too hard to do...well in my opinion those writers weren't good enough because they complained that they couldn't write a married Peter Parker.

Stan Lee the creator of Spider-Man married the characters and to this day he writes them greatly as a married couple in his newspaper comic, I wish the writers at Marvel prior to wanting to alter that followed his example, then we would've never had OMD to begin with.
    There are several stories post-OMD that couldn't have been done with a married Spider-Man, but I can't expect you to have known that if you don't read the book.

No writer ever said writing a married Peter was "too hard." OMD was done because Marvel wanted to return him to his roots as a single character to preserve his longevity for future generations.

Also, Stan Lee has publicly praised OMD, calling it "courageous" and saying it was a necessary change to keep the series fresh, so you can't say definitively that he wouldn't have done something similar himself eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by ShQQta View Post
    Resolve not to buy #700 BUT tell someone you want it as a Xmas gift. Plus maybe someone else can buy you a 6-month sub to Superior. That way you can jump off for now, but won't have to go cold turkey, and if it turns out to be good, you'll have time to return to the fold but won't have missed anything.

I agree on your price concerns - here in NZ effectively I pay approx another 50% above a US reader for new comics due to exchange rate and shipping costs. Do you face similar extra costs in Sweden?
    We do pay more than in the US, that's for sure, but I don't know how much. I buy my comics digitally, which is great considering there's no add to the prices, and the comics are easy to come by. But it's also dangerous, it's easy to spend over budget every month if not careful.

Veteran Member

I don't know...do you ever stop being an ass here on these threads?
    I think your "I don't know" says it all.

And watch your language. I'm much nicer than you.

SW

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozed View Post
    I think it's more like a difficulty to let go. When is it time to realize the comic is not for you anymore? That's not an easy step to take, at least not for some. I know that myself, having read Spidey for something like 25 years, and I think sometimes it's easy to keep reading just because it's Spidey or who else it might be. Then it might be better to let go, right? I was thinking about giving up Spidey after #700, but come on, 8 bucks and if I remember correctly, in december? Lots of Christmas presents to buy then.
    It's 8 bucks for 104. Twice the price for a comic 5 times the size.

It's also one of only TWO Marvel comics on sale the week AFTER Christmas, so your money needs to go somewhere.

SW

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Brown View Post
    Good lord, does this argument ever stop?
    ...or make sense?

SW

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Blame Quesada, not Wacker if you want to take issue with that particular storyline. The whole thing is getting tired.
    Hey! Why me?

Also, I grew up in Vista. Did i mention before?

SW

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    It's 8 bucks for 104. Twice the price for a comic 5 times the size.

It's also one of only TWO Marvel comics on sale the week AFTER Christmas, so your money needs to go somewhere.

SW
    After Christmas is good to hear, but does the money really NEED to go to one of the Marvel titles that week? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozed View Post
    After Christmas is good to hear, but does the money really NEED to go to one of the Marvel titles that week? ;-)
    It does, if you don't want to make Santa cry.

My jumping-off point was OMD, see no reason to jump on again, especially as the writer is still the same. I consider the fact that someone else than the "reinvigorated by no longer being married" Peter Parker will be Spider-Man a declaration of artistic bankruptcy. I'm already reading a Spider-Man who isn't Peter (to wit: Miles Morales), wouldn't mind reading another (i. e. Mayday Parker aka Spider-Girl), a third one I don't need.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That's misleading, but not a lie. He could be referring to how he is perceived when he describes himself as the guy who decapitated Kingsley.

Also, lying about spoilers is different than lying about success.

Misleading mind as well be lying both involves deceiving people.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by derekakadrock View Post
    There are several stories post-OMD that couldn't have been done with a married Spider-Man, but I can't expect you to have known that if you don't read the book.
    Bullshit! Every single one of them could've been told with a married Spider-Man by just altering certain obvious things.

No writer ever said writing a married Peter was "too hard." OMD was done because Marvel wanted to return him to his roots as a single character to preserve his longevity for future generations.
    Oh yes they most certainly did say that writing a married Peter was too hard. There is no need to return a character to his roots. A character needs to grow and move forward not be regressed back to his/her roots. When you do something like that to a character you're just setting it up to tell stories that have already been told just in a slightly different way. A good example of that would be the story "Back In Black Cat" (also a sick title for the story if you ask me). Such a thing was done before.

To new readers such a thing doesn't matter because they never read the original stories that had such things, but the old readers spot those things right off the bat and get bored rather quickly with such stories.

Marvel doesn't give a shit about the old readers that made them what they are they just cater to new readers now.

Also, Stan Lee has publicly praised OMD, calling it "courageous" and saying it was a necessary change to keep the series fresh, so you can't say definitively that he wouldn't have done something similar himself eventually.

Stan Lee doesn't want to make waves for Marvel and would likely back them even if he did disagree with what they were doing. He still gets credit for the use of his character so to disagree with Marvel would cause quite a few problems for both of them which I'm sure both would rather avoid.

Stan Lee continuing to keep Peter and Mary Jane as a married couple in his newspaper comic after Marvel pulled OMD is a clear sign that he is against what they did...in my opinion. If he was for it then he would've undid the marriage to coinicide with what Marvel did.

Besides, Marvel married Peter and Mary Jane in the first place because they wanted to coincide with what Stan Lee did in his newspaper comic, and well they should since Stan Lee created Spider-Man. The stupid thing Marvel did was to undo that via OMD.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Obviously those things wouldn't have happened if they were married and as such the story would be slightly altered from the one that was done.

Use your brain.
    I am using my brain. Im looking at the words you said and pointing out that they are wrong.

you said:

All the stories you have done could've easily been done with the marriage intact
    and
    Every story since then could've been done with Peter and Mary Jane being married.
    which is clearly not true. Peter cant date if hes married. Those stories cant be told at all.

You now say "obviously those things wouldnt happen"... Again, that means you cant tell the story of peter dating the cop.

Here lets play devils advocate: If I tweak the story is it not different? Are you ok with no marriage just dating and living together because its 'the same but tweaked'?

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Bullshit! Every single one of them could've been told with a married Spider-Man by just altering certain obvious things.
    Altering something is akin to telling a different story, especially when its something like a story about dating another person.

Wasnt that one of the key complaints from people not liking the retcon in OMD, that a small change was in fact a new story. Do you not believe that? Are you ok with not married and living together but everything happening the same as being the same stories?

Jumping off point? I dont get this. If you already know you're dropping it why not just drop it? It's the same writer. If you dont like where the story is going, why are you reading it now? You already know you reject the events caused by #700, but you're planning to buy and read #700? Sorry, but everyone knows that people saying 700 is their "jumping off point" are full of it

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    Hey! Why me?

Also, I grew up in Vista. Did i mention before?

SW
    Yeah man, a little while back I think. I think you guys are doing an outstanding job. I really think that a good many people tend to underrate the awesome quality book you guys are putting out right now. Keep up the good work fellas. I can't wait for Superior.