View Poll Results: Is Amazing Apider-man #700 going to be your Jumping off point?

Voters
235. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

71 30.21%
  • No

95 40.43%
  • I'll play it by ear Depending on how Superior Spider-man is

69 29.36%
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Ideally, if the stories in the series are well told, and in this case also well illustrated, then it would a series worth reading about. That being said, it really does depend on who the titular character is. And in this case, the reason why people read Spider-Man and why he's been so popular for so many years is because they like and can identify with Peter Parker. This was a undeniable fact that the folks at Marvel found out the hard way when they made Ben Reilly "the real Spider-Man"; they have been successful in having him "reclaim his identity" as Spidey, but the way they told the story made virtually impossible for Ben to "reclaim his identity" as Peter Parker, which was far more essential.

Granted, we've had Spider-Man comics in which Peter Parker was not Spidey, such Miquel O'Hara in Spider-Man 2099 and Miles Morales in the current run of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man which are, more or less, successful. But the thing is, readers understand that these Spider-Men take place in alternate universe rather than in mainstream continuity. They still understand that Spider-Man is not the costume but the person who wears it. If the new Superior Spider-Man isn't Peter Parker, the character devoted fans have been encouraged to follow for decades, then his replacement better be a person fans would want to enjoy reading about and following month after month, someone they can identify with, and someone they wouldn't mind filling in so long as the real Spidey comes back. And if not, Marvel shouldn't be the least bit surprised if the fanbase start dropping the title like flies.
    That was well said, whether you get berated for it or not.

Just Sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Deery View Post
    I've never dropped out but I've become less and less interested in mainstream superhero stuff. Pretty soon my only superhero stuff will be Spidey, Batman, DD and Ult Spidey.

But I've been reading the walking dead, Invincible, Chew and Morning Glories recently.
    I've been reading lots of independent stuff as well. Morning Glories is awesome as is the Manhattan Projects by Hickman, Fatale by Brubaker and the Jake Ellis stuff from Edmonson. But there's also a lot of great superhero stuff coming from Marvel and DC. I'm glad I been busy at work!
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    I'll give Superior a chance. But I have to say that everything they've said about it so far has not excited me at all. It's status on my pull list will have a short leash.
    Same here. I'll buy the first issue to decide if I'll collect future issues or not.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Burst View Post
    No. You post your assumptions as if they're facts.

That's your opinion as to what I'm doing, but it isn't what I'm doing.

Everything I've stated is my opinion nothing more.

If you want to read more into it then go ahead, but keep it to yourself and don't you dare accuse me of doing something that I'm not doing.
    Last edited by Spider-Dragon; 11-12-2012 at 08:08 AM.

It is the hype and the social media and the internet really that eventually killed comic books. Not Pirates or the economy. When Marvel or DC hype up these events they absolutely NEVER deliver. AVX was as poorly written as was Fear Itself and One More Day. Big Time was a disappointment. Peter wasn't in a single story you couldn't have told with a married Spiderman. And I don't care if he's married or single but they promised drama and awkward situations and oh god... I have seen no girl trouble. No financial trouble, no nothing. Just a forced trip in to perpetual annoyingness of "no one dies let me beat myself up for everything that happens" mentality. And I've just had enough. I wish Slott would just shut up already. He's become increasingly annoying with all his self hype for a guy that's yet to deliver. And for the price of this stupid book. I better see some razzle dazzle or I'm dropping Spiderman altogether. Like seriously these last few issues better make up for the lack of drama in the entire Slott run.
    Last edited by midnightshrink; 11-12-2012 at 08:23 AM.
    Cyclops was right.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightshrink View Post
    It is the hype and the social media and the internet really that eventually killed comic books. Not Pirates or the economy. When Marvel or DC hype up these events they absolutely NEVER deliver. AVX was as poorly written as was Fear Itself and One More Day. Big Time was a disappointment. Peter wasn't in a single story you couldn't have told with a married Spiderman. And I don't care if he's married or single but they promised drama and awkward situations and oh god... I have seen no girl trouble. No financial trouble, no nothing. Just a forced trip in to perpetual annoyingness of "no one dies let me beat myself up for everything that happens" mentality. And I've just had enough. I wish Slott would just shut up already. He's become increasingly annoying with all his self hype for a guy that's yet to deliver. And for the price of this stupid book. I better see some razzle dazzle or I'm dropping Spiderman altogether. Like seriously these last few issues better make up for the lack of drama in the entire Slott run.

I honestly can't tell if you're serious.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dragon View Post

Everything I've stated is my opinion nothing more.

If you want to read more into it then go ahead, but keep it to yourself and don't you dare accuse me of doing something that I'm not doing.
    Sorry. But I don't think you really SEE what it is you're doing.
    You DO keep talking about things as if they are DEFINITELY going to happen.
    And you THEN go on to ascribe motives as to why Steve, I, or Marvel are definitely going to to do what you THINK we're going to do.
    And since I actually KNOW what it is that we're REALLY doing, I also know that what you post here is (if treated as facts) 100% false.
    So there's that...

Meanwhile...

In a previous post, you stated that you haven't been buying the book, that you don't REALLY know what's going on, or how the book is ACTUALLY executed-- but that you piece together bits and pieces from spoilers, interviews, other people's posts, and what you can gather around the net.

Is that true? And if so, how long have you been doing that? And how long have you been coming here onto the boards sharing those stitched-together-pieces of OTHER people's observations-and-interpretations (and MISINTERPRETATIONS) as facts and/or the sole basis for your "opinions"? :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Slott View Post
    Sorry. But I don't think you really SEE what it is you're doing.
    You DO keep talking about things as if they are DEFINITELY going to happen.
    And you THEN go on to ascribe motives as to why Steve, I, or Marvel are definitely going to to do what you THINK we're going to do.
    And since I actually KNOW what it is that we're REALLY doing, I also know that what you post here is (if treated as facts) 100% false.
    So there's that...

Meanwhile...

In a previous post, you stated that you haven't been buying the book, that you don't REALLY know what's going on, or how the book is ACTUALLY executed-- but that you piece together bits and pieces from spoilers, interviews, other people's posts, and what you can gather around the net.

Is that true? And if so, how long have you been doing that? And how long have you been coming here onto the boards sharing those stitched-together-pieces of OTHER people's observations-and-interpretations (and MISINTERPRETATIONS) as facts and/or the sole basis for your "opinions"? :-/
    Damn you folks from Marvel are good :)

Veteran Member

And if not, Marvel shouldn't be the least bit surprised if the fanbase start dropping the title like flies.
    I know you;re trying to pass as open-minded and not as crazy as you really are about this stuff, but you and your online "We Hate the Spidey Books and especially Dan Slott" fraternity have been predicting this for 5 years.

Keep hope alive, I guess.

SW

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    I know you;re trying to pass as open-minded and not as crazy as you really are about this stuff, but you and your online "We Hate the Spidey Books and especially Dan Slott" fraternity have been predicting this for 5 years.

Keep hope alive, I guess.

SW
    Well, some would make the argument that readership on the Amazing Spider-Man is already, on average, lower than it once was prior to a particular story that came out five years ago.

And this isn't also to suggest that Superior Spider-Man #1 won't be a big seller. After all, it's a #1 issue and people are going to be at least a bit curious as to the controversy about just who this Spider-Man who is if he's, supposedly, not Peter Parker, one that is also coming off the heels of Amazing Spider-Man's #700th issue to boot. What I'm saying is that, regardless of the quality of the comic, if people don't like who this new Spider-Man is after they find out his identity, why should we then expect to care reading about him?
    Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Veteran Member

Well, some would make the argument that readership on the Amazing Spider-Man is already, on average, lower than it once was prior to a particular story that came out five years ago.

And this isn't also to suggest that Superior Spider-Man #1 won't be a big seller. After all, it's a #1 issue and people are going to be at least a bit curious as to the controversy about just who this Spider-Man who is if he's, supposedly, not Peter Parker, one that is also coming off the heels of Amazing Spider-Man's #700th issue to boot. What I'm saying is that, regardless of the quality of the comic, if people don't like who this new Spider-Man is after they find out his identity, why should we then expect to care reading about him?
    And what I'm saying is that you will make these claims regardless of facts or context.

Just like you did above.

You're pathological at this point.
    SW

And what I'm saying is that you will make these claims regardless of facts or context.

Just like you did above.

SW
    Alright you work at marvel prove him and the others who feel that way wrong show us the Amazing Spider-man sales figures before OMD and After OMD and that will settle the argument once and for all will it not?

Just like you did above.

SW
    He does raise some good points though. Readership stays on board when the book is going in the direction that we find enjoyable. I myself have kept reading Spider-Man pretty much regardless of who is in the suit going back to Ben Reilly but that doesn't mean I was happy about it. I can totally see people dropping the book if it's a new character that you no longer care about. I mean, Spider-Man is Peter Parker, it's a tough pill to swallow if that's taken away and it seems fans of anything these days are fickle.

Regardless on how we got to this point, I don't think anyone is really keen on the whole Mephisto thing, I'm glad I stayed with it since alot of great stories came out of it even if the means to the end weren't so great.

Oh course, it's hard to tell what will happen, it should make for a really exciting story and I'm on board to see where this all goes. I've really enjoyed Dan Slott's run on Amazing so I don't plan on leaving unless everything goes way off course and I just don't see that happening.

I am a 30 year Spider-Man fan, and I must admit that I buy the book because of Peter Parker and his adventures. I have been buying every issue since 'Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man' #124, and if the world after Amazing #700 doesn't have Peter, I'm not sure if I'll be aboard. Not criticizing Dan's or Marvel's direction with the character, as I have been enjoying the book immensely and I wish them continued success. Simply a case of personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dragon View Post

No. As already proven, it's a fact.