Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Old Spider-Man Title Would You Bring Back--And Why?

For me, it's gotta be Spectacular Spider-Man. That title had some really great runs. At times it focused more on Peter's personal life than Amazing, which was cool. Peter David envisioned it as a darker book, with most of the stories taking place at night and in the black costume, also a neat idea. And for awhile it was the monthly adventures of Spider-Man and Black Cat, which was a lot of fun. There were even some notable periods where it was superior to Amazing, mostly when JM DeMatteis was at the helm.

What do you guys think? If you could resurrect a cancelled Spidey book, which one would you pick? And don't say Amazing Spider-Man.

Untold Tales of Spider-Man - Continuing where left off, between Amazing Spider-Man #25-26 or so.

Really, there's quite some titles I miss too. BUT, if continues, has to be under status quo THEN, continuing from the date it was cancelled, NOT of stinking status quos of TODAY (like those .1 issues), meaning no annoying Norah Winters or Carlie Coopers in my new issues of Spectaculars, Peter Parkers, or Web ofs.

Ex: For Spectacular, I'd be happy with White Rabbit, and the Grizzly / Gibbon hero duo.

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

I probably would've said Web Of, if not for the totally lackluster Vol. 2 attempt.

Probably Spectacular, and I like the idea of darker stories taking place at night as in the David / Mantlo eras.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    I probably would've said Web Of, if not for the totally lackluster Vol. 2 attempt.

Probably Spectacular, and I like the idea of darker stories taking place at night as in the David / Mantlo eras.
    Agreed. Spectacular. I mean, the title ran for well over 20 years before taking a hiatus and returning with Paul Jenkins in the early-to-mid '00s. I always liked the original title of Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man. A nice way to differentiate it from the other Spidey books. This was a book that focused more on Pete & the supporting cast.

Sadly as with most other spin-off titles, once the focus was taken off of the "Peter Parker" aspect, it became one in a long line of "just another Spidey" books.

And what was up with the abortive attempt to relaunch Web? Do you think Marvel just had to put out something in order to keep their (c) or TM for that title?

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Sadly as with most other spin-off titles, once the focus was taken off of the "Peter Parker" aspect, it became one in a long line of "just another Spidey" books.
    Too true. I always found PP: Spec to be one of the best second titles of any character.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    And what was up with the abortive attempt to relaunch Web? Do you think Marvel just had to put out something in order to keep their (c) or TM for that title?
    I think it was launched primarily to capitalize on 'The Gauntlet' story that was running through ASM at the time, hence several villains getting solo stories in issues.

Then with the Spider-girl and JMD backups, it was like they were making some bastardized relaunch of Web and 'Spider-man Family'.

None. Having crossovers between titles almost ruined spider-man for me. Its why I just dropped scarlet spider
    Ready for the return of the one and only Spider-Man!!

I'd be up for a continuation of Untold Tales of Spider-Man, either as a regular monthly, or as a mini-series.

I reread my Tangled Web issues often enough, so I'd love to see that book come back. Unfortunately, anthology titles traditionally aren't financially viable. There are some possibilities with something like it though. It provides opportunities for creative teams who aren't available for extended runs, and provides a lot of entry level material, which can also be used later to pad out various collections.

I don't think it's worth bringing back other satellite titles. Having another book to focus on Peter's private life defeats the purpose of Amazing Spider-Man, and makes coordinating events between titles difficult for writers, editors and readers.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

This one's easy: Spider-Man 2099.

I friggin' loved that title! Miguel is the man! I just hope Slott thinks so...
    - Jason G. Carr

I agree with Mets in that I would love to see more Untold Tales and more Tangled Web. Both tremendous titles.

I would also like to see Web of Spider-Man come back, but in the style of the first forty or so issues. That was a damn fine book when it first came out.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

Spectacular Spider-Man was always awesome. From its early days on into the DeMatteis years, I have such a fond place for it in my heart. ::sob::

Quote Originally Posted by DrewC View Post
    Spectacular Spider-Man was always awesome. From its early days on into the DeMatteis years, I have such a fond place for it in my heart. ::sob::
    Agree. Spectacular has a great pedigree, as a title. Its tradition goes back to the 1970s! It was always a great title for writers deemed "not good enough for ASM" to prove everyone wrong.

MTU as well, though Avenging seems to be that in its own way.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    I agree with Mets in that I would love to see more Untold Tales and more Tangled Web. Both tremendous titles.

I would also like to see Web of Spider-Man come back, but in the style of the first forty or so issues. That was a damn fine book when it first came out.
    What exactly was the book's style?

Quote Originally Posted by JGC View Post
    This one's easy: Spider-Man 2099.

I friggin' loved that title! Miguel is the man! I just hope Slott thinks so...
    That could be interesting.

For the first year or so, I'd make sure it's the only 2099 title.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

I'm totally down for a return of Spectacular Spider-Man in some fashion, if only because I think it's a much better adjective than Amazing.

...that's pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    What exactly was the book's style?
    I won't say it was a dark book, but it felt kind of like a down-to-earth crime kind of book. Somewhat similar in style to Daredevil at the time. You'd see villains like Hobgoblin, The Rose, and The Foreigner a good bit. SSM was good for those kinds of stories too.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man