Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Yoda's true Master. Darth Twiggy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    I liked Etta just FINE as a big, fat, white girl from a Texas (I think) rancher family.

Furthermore, I don't appreciate the political position it puts us traditionalists in, with new, ethnicized Etta in JLA comic, that we'd be okay with plain, old WHITE ETTA. We didn't ask for the character to be turned into a skinny or black woman, and I don't recall anyone ever identifying Etta Candy's race as the primary problem with the character. Again, nobody asked for any of this, but voicing indifference to Etta's present ethnicization unfairly makes us sound like racists.

Don't appreciate the position we're put in, here.

If creators/editors wanted, for no other reason than politics, to make Etta more thnically diverse, couldn't they have just added to what was there? Is there some reason that Etta Candy couldn't be, like Lynda Carter, a Caucasian woman with a mixed race background? Is there some reason Etta couldn't be a pudgy, sassy Latina, with a Mexican mama and a white dad?

Bryan Azzarello's characterization of Zola is proof that all Etta Candy needed was a good writer, who believed in her and how much fun the WW comic could be with her in it.
    Yes! YES!
    and more YESS!!!

I just don't see anything wrong with the original Etta Candy, and I am a little annoyed I'm shoe-horned into the political position that opinion puts me in. I'll confess to favoring the more full-figured Etta, because of the diversity that brings to the representation of women in comics and media, ..an issue that's impacting the lives of young, impressionable women of EVERY ethnicity! If DC wants an African American or black (Latin, West Indian) Etta, that's fine by me.

But, why can't she be a big, fat, black and fit Etta and proud to be that? What does Amanda Waller have to do with anything? I think we should have pudgy beauties of every hue and costume known to man falling out of the skies, in the DC Universe! Why just one ..and how realistic is that?

You really can be thick AND fit, you know.

There's nothing wrong with the old Etta, and that's all there is to say about it.

Make of that, what you will.
    Last edited by MelDyer; 12-07-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: clarity
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    But, why can't she be a big, fat, black and fit Etta and proud to be that?
    Is that a bit like being short and tall and proud of that?
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Here a picture of Etta not as big she was in the golden age.

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

Okay, guys, I tried to edit some posts so the discussion could continue in a less confrontational manner, but I couldn't do it and maintain the integrity of the posts.

Accusations of racism and personal attacks are not permitted here. It's a delicate topic for some, so please try to be respectful.

Thank you :)
    Gaelforce
    WW Forum Mom
    WW/Superman/TV & Film Moderator

BANNED

Amanda Waller- Because you dont need to be a God of Evil or super fit to intimidate Batman

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post

Amanda Waller- Because you dont need to be a God of Evil or super fit to intimidate Batman
    There's the Wall I miss, she's more intimidating that way!

Cheers.

James.
    Any Dream worth Having Is A Dream worth Fighting For.

Just don't see why 'New' Etta couldn't be a fat or plus-sized woman. If editors felt uncomfortable with her being heavy and black, and I understand how that might be controversial, they could have made her Asian, Latina ..or just left her the hell alone. It's much more troubling to me that some editorial entity decided to slim Etta down, but, I think Geoff Johns wanted his Etta to tie into the Wonder Woman TV show, being developed by David Kelly.
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."

Laurence Fishburne is Perry White (lol) in the Man of Steel.

Marvel may have made the boneheaded decision of jumping thru a million hoops to bring Samuel L Fury into the 616 universe, but with DC, since its a reboot, I don't see the problem with making Etta a POC. Then again, I don't have that much of an attachment to her per se. Don't care either way about her size.

Dressing sexily is part of Emma Frost's character and enhances her.

Amanda Waller's size does the same thing for her. She's supposed to look intimidating and make you crap your pants, not look like your date.

With Etta Candy, I don't feel its an important part of her character like those two.

Besides, wasn't she slimmed down in Gail Simone's Wonder Woman?
    Jean Grey : What makes you such a bitch, Emma?
    Emma Frost : Breeding, darling. Top class breeding.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From Room X View Post
    Amanda Waller's size does the same thing for her. She's supposed to look intimidating and make you crap your pants, not look like your date.

Actually I was thinking the opposite of that. Amanda doesn't look physically intimidating, she out of shape and generally shorter than most people around her (unlike say Wilson Fisk). But I love the idea than even with these things working against her, she has the voice, knowledge, skill and personality to intimidate most hardened criminals and superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From Room X View Post
    Besides, wasn't she slimmed down in Gail Simone's Wonder Woman?
    She was in better shape, but she was still kinda broad across the hips.

Quote Originally Posted by blackphoenix View Post
    How has this thread gone three pages without a pick of Old School Etta?

As to the New 52 Etta:I say if they wanted to introduce a black female character into Wonder Woman, why not just invent one out of whole cloth instead of turning Etta black?
    Actually, I think that's how they should draw all the women characters in Wonder Woman. Then everyone can be happy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    Actually, I think that's how they should draw all the women characters in Wonder Woman. Then everyone can be happy.
    Beginning to sound like one of those strange 'weight-gain' fan fics you run into from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Okay, guys, I tried to edit some posts so the discussion could continue in a less confrontational manner, but I couldn't do it and maintain the integrity of the posts.

Accusations of racism and personal attacks are not permitted here. It's a delicate topic for some, so please try to be respectful.

Thank you :)
    Can you clarify why pointing out racism is 'not permitted' when posts containing racist attitudes are? Criticising someone's views and attacking their person is not the same ...
    "All things are precipitated by the nature of existence. Nothing, therefore, is unnatural be it bee-hive or termite mound or all our shining, poisoned cities." - Promethea #31

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flâneur View Post
    Can you clarify why pointing out racism is 'not permitted' when posts containing racist attitudes are? Criticising someone's views and attacking their person is not the same ...
    A racist 'attitude,' if it exists in a post, goes to the person posting it (i.e. the attitude of the poster). That's a personal attack and is a violation of the rules.

If you feel a post is a violation of the forum rules, please use the report function and let the moderators handle it.

Thank you.
    Gaelforce
    WW Forum Mom
    WW/Superman/TV & Film Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Flâneur View Post
    While my OP may have acknowledged the racial differences between new and original Etta Candy, in no way have I solicited a racial preference for either - only questioned an editorial motive for changing Etta's race.

Incidentally, the original Etta is white, and expressing an affinity for the original Etta should not be mischaracterized as a racial preference, because of this single, unrelated and incidental quality. Asking why (I did) the original Etta's race was changed from white to black is not inherently or even subtly racist, because no specifically racial preference for either was stated. I simply expressed here that I liked Etta, as she was (size, race, attitude, etc), ..and that's all.

Let me say again that I think Geoff Johns intended for his new Etta in JLA to tie into the African American Etta, who was to be featured on the failed Wonder Woman TV pilot.

While Etta's race is irrelevant to me (and I have said that, several times, already), I will cop to a size-related preference here. Big Etta was cool and funny as hell, and I think her size brings a social relevance to Wonder Woman that the new, taller and slimmer Etta cannot. If anybody wants to criticize me for that, fine by me.

In my opinion the moderator has been fair and balanced, here.
    Last edited by MelDyer; 12-15-2012 at 07:44 AM.