Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

But look at how he ended in Earth-1. Well on his way to looking a little more....rumpled. Gotham will do that to a person if you're not careful. Or a Bat.

Anyway, Im....more or less glad....that Etta is going to be a big woman (again.) I appreciate diversity in my comics, and that should include large people too. Granted, weight problems are a serious issue these days; our war on drugs will soon be replaced by a war on twinkies. So I do question whether we absolutely *need* Etta to be, as Grant said, immense. There is a difference between being big (which is fine) and being obese, which comes with some serious health risks. And yes, so does being too skinny. The world is a one sided thing, I know. I hope that Grant, if he does write Etta as being *that* large, handles it right. But, Etta isnt a role model. Diana is. So, bring on the fat bottomed girls, to quote Queen.

Besides, we already have an overweight hero in the pages of Dial H.

I suspect that she will be white again too, but honestly....whatever. I liked that DC made her black in the New52. I mean, its Etta Candy. Who really gives a damn if her skin color changes? She's a sometimes supporting character who has barely been seen in decades, outside of her role in Gail's run. So make her black, or asian, or purple for all I care.

Oh, and the poster who said s/he hoped that Etta wasnt turned into the happy, plucky, fat person stereotype? Her name is Etta Candy. What exactly do you think she was? She *was* that stereotype! Just like Ebony in the old Spirit comics, or even Jimmy Olsen, to a degree.

The only problem I see with her being black is that being a big, sassy black woman has been done to death. However, rarely do we see a big, larger-than-life white female character.

Naturally, it doesn't bother me that much if this is the only reason I can find to be a little irked by her race change. I'm definitely for more non-white characters in all forms of media.
    "Kryptonite-laced nail polish. Isn't it too divine? Under all that steel, just a man."
    -- Cheetah, Batman: The Brave and the Bold

I was pretty annoyed with the changes they pulled on Etta, Harvey and most of all THE WALL.

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    I was pretty annoyed with the changes they pulled on Etta, Harvey and most of all THE WALL.
    They didn't change Harvey...
    No more than that they changed Superman into a Russian anyway.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    The Wall is the biggest offense, unarguably.
    "Kryptonite-laced nail polish. Isn't it too divine? Under all that steel, just a man."
    -- Cheetah, Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    The only problem I see with her being black is that being a big, sassy black woman has been done to death. However, rarely do we see a big, larger-than-life white female character.
    Roseanne Conner says hi!
    "People don't actually like Wonder Woman. They like the idea in their head of what a "wonder woman" ought to be, which usually bears little resemblance to the character in the comics." - JKCarrier

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

You do know that Roseanne has been off the air for 15 years? :p

Quote Originally Posted by hypotherion View Post
    He did look completely different in Batman: Earth One.

That's not Harvey Bullock. That's Roy Raymond.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

i wonder what other changes Morrison has planned for Wonder Woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Personally I don't really mind not glorifying obesity. And make no mistake, that's what golden age Etta is. Not non-supermodel size, but morbidly obese. She was fine post-Crisis, a bigger woman, but healthy looking. Making her massive again though? I don't necessarily think that's a positive at all.

this is essentially how I feel.

the emphasis on making her gigantic again doesn't resonate with me. Golden Age Etta was unhealthily large, she was more than just big or plus size. She doesn't need to have a super model figure I have no qualms really which ever way you take it, however, I'm not sure if I get the point of this small outcry. Why is it so important Etta be large or small or average etc.?

But end of the day I don't see why this is really even matters to the comic or the story. Etta's appearance doesn't really serve a strong purpose one way or another, and I think people are grasping for straws on this one. Additionally I prefer Steve as more of a Justice LEague liaison than Wonder Woman's lover
    Last edited by Jabare; 11-08-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Don't forget Mimi! When I read your comment, I realized I'd completely forgot about Kathy Kinney's Mimi, who was so outrageously and hilariously larger-than-life on Drew Carey! The first time I saw Mimi on the show, I thought, "It's ETTA CANDY!" Not sure we've seen a big, fat white female character, like Etta, since Mimi.

Some of you don't remember this, but, ..whenever Wonder Woman was a prisoner on Mars or Pluto, she'd telepathically call ('mental radio') Etta Candy for help. Not Superman. Not Green Lantern. Etta, the big, fat rancher girl, with the absurd hair and makeup and bad manners, was on the Amazon's permanent speed-dial, because she knew Etta would bring the Holliday Girls and kick some ass! It sounds CRAZY to some of you new readers, but, it made perfect sense to every WW fan why Etta got that call, because that's how badass Etta Candy was, way back when! Not Big Blue or Batboy...Etta Candy!

Do you honestly see Diana telepathically ringing up Steve Trevor's boring-ass secretary for help with DARKSEID? Not by a mile!

Etta's a shotgun of a girl! Fun! Plain, ole, stupid hee-haw FUN! That's what Etta brought to this comic in the Forties, and that's what's been missing in Wonder Woman for a long time. I'm looking forward to Etta bringing the fun back to this comic, even for a little while.
    Last edited by MelDyer; 11-08-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: emphasis, clarity
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    Some of you don't remember this, but, ..whenever Wonder Woman was a prisoner on Mars or Pluto, she'd telepathically call ('mental radio') Etta Candy for help. Not Superman. Not Green Lantern. Etta, the big, fat rancher girl, with the absurd hair and makeup and bad manners, was on the Amazon's permanent speed-dial, because she knew Etta would bring the Holliday Girls and kick some ass! It sounds CRAZY to some of you new readers, but, it made perfect sense to every WW fan why Etta got that call, because that's how badass Etta Candy was, way back when! Not Big Blue or Batboy...Etta Candy!
    Let's keep in mind that it was the early fourties, and that Superman and Batman even existing in other books was a rather radical notion.

There really wasn't much of a shared universe at the time.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Ek Vitki Runoz Writu CaptMagellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    this is essentially how I feel.

the emphasis on making her gigantic again doesn't resonate with me. Golden Age Etta was unhealthily large, she was more than just big or plus size. She doesn't need to have a super model figure I have no qualms really which ever way you take it, however, I'm not sure if I get the point of this small outcry. Why is it so important Etta be large or small or average etc.?

But end of the day I don't see why this is really even matters to the comic or the story. Etta's appearance doesn't really serve a strong purpose one way or another, and I think people are grasping for straws on this one. Additionally I prefer Steve as more of a Justice LEague liaison than Wonder Woman's lover
    I agree with all that with the added 'realism'* concern that there is NO way that the old Golden Age Etta would ever be able to pass any of her regular physicals - she'd be mustered out of the service with no qualms whatsoever.

(* - I know... comic books and realism is a sticky-wicket... but we all find our 'realism' alarms going off in weird areas... for me, overweight but healthy Etta makes sense for Air Force (had some AF friends Perez-Etta size) but Morbidly Obese characature Etta...nope.)
    "The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason" - Benjamin Franklin

"Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery." - R.G. Ingersoll

This is great news, there needs to be more larger girls in comics.

The only flip side is:

I'm going to be hearing Queen's 'Fat Bottomed Girls' play in my head all day:

(But thinking further on that, that's not actually a bad thing)

Aaaaaaaare you going to take me home tonight
    Doooooooown beside your red fire light
    Aaaaaaaare you gonna let it all hang out
    Fat bottomed girls you make the rocking world go round
    Fat bottomed girls you make the rocking world go roooooooouuuuuund

I've seen every blue eyed floozy on the waaaaaay
    But their beauty and their style went kind of smooth after a while
    Taaake me toooo them lardie laaaadies aaanytiiiiiiime
    Last edited by yaseen101; 11-09-2012 at 01:07 PM.

I don't think obesity should be accepted without acknowledgment of its health risks. Obesity is a far more common problem in society than anorexia is.

Not every character has to be a role model though, and the argument could be made that superhero comics more than most other genres promote "ideal" body types. IMO, Etta should be a big girl because that's been her character's identity for decades. Just like others said, it's like making Amanda Waller skinny. It's taking away a trait that stands out and making the character more generic.

Being big doesn't have to mean being obese though. There are women with muscular or chunky builds. Women who like to eat and may be carrying a few pounds more than they have to, without being monstrously unhealthy. There's a lot of middle ground that the character could inhabit without being massively obese.