Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

You bring up an interesting point Romero. I think many people love the idea of something being all shiny and new. The idea of decay and deterioration does not sit well with many people. There are many examples of that throughout history. Such as The Titanic. Most people (even experts) believed the ship to be in a state of suspended animation on the sea bottom. It was thought the lack of life and the depth would preserve it. So people were eventually shocked when they realized this beautiful ship was actually twisted and ripped apart and scattered in several major pieces with the bowels of the ship littered upon the sea floor. Things decaying can remind us of our own mortality. Its like older people who hang around younger people (sometimes a quarter of their own age). They want the reminder of things being young and beautiful and full of life. Not surrounded with older people like themselves who will remind them of their own mortality. Its the same with comic books. When I see a really battered comic book I think geez, wonder what happened to it? And sometimes I feel so sad seeing it in that condition.

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post

(I've mentioned elsewhere being diagnosed with depression, albeit by a non-psychiatrist, when my problem was actually mono, of all things. I also appear to be about as prone to borderline personality disorder as my cats are, one shrink [in what turned out to be very much a minority-of-one opinion] notwithstanding.)
    Your cats have borderline personality disorder? Man, that's rough.

And also kind of redundant, based on my experience with cats.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Your cats have borderline personality disorder? Man, that's rough.

And also kind of redundant, based on my experience with cats.
    My oldest, the one who's been on antidepressants for a week now, definitely has something.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

My oldest, the one who's been on antidepressants for a week now, definitely has something.
    They make cat anti-depressants? Stop the world, I wanna' get off...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dr chimp View Post
    Ever tried reading digitally or is that the language of satan?
    It is not only the language, pride and pleasure of satan it is the very definition of hell itself.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    They make cat anti-depressants? Stop the world, I wanna' get off...
    They make human antidepressants -- in this case, Elevil, which Howie was prescribed last Wednesday; half a 10 mg pill in the morning, half in the evening. We just had an ... adventurous ... session even as I type, as it happens.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

And here I thought this was the Dr Chimp family motto --

Perhaps something was lost in translation, though.
    vootie! vootie! - the only invincible position.

and apologies to everyone for that digital comment - turns out there is a meth lab next door - must have been delirious
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

Quote Originally Posted by dr chimp View Post
    Ever tried reading digitally or is that the language of satan?
    I have thousands of digital comics that I use in my research but, speaking strictly as a collector, they are no substitute for actual paper-and-ink comics.

Cei-U!
    Can't stretch out on his bed for a liesurely afternoon of comics reading with a PC!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    You bring up an interesting point Romero. I think many people love the idea of something being all shiny and new. The idea of decay and deterioration does not sit well with many people....When I see a really battered comic book I think geez, wonder what happened to it? And sometimes I feel so sad seeing it in that condition.
    I love beat up comics--names drawn on them, stains, creases. They have personality, lived a life.

To tell the truth, the whole "condition" discussion depresses me--the fetishization of the object removed from a love of the content.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Quote Originally Posted by MDG View Post
    To tell the truth, the whole "condition" discussion depresses me--the fetishization of the object removed from a love of the content.
    I suspect the feti$hization of money outweighs even that. Speaking of depressing.

-- Reptisaurus!

I suspect the feti$hization of money outweighs even that. Speaking of depressing.
    I only accept currency that is in mint condition.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

and slabbed.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    and slabbed.
    Done and done.

At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Not too depressing from the seller's point of view....
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    I only accept currency that is in mint condition.
    "These hundred dollar bills have slight riffling along the edges! You take them back! Take them back this minute!"
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas