Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    Also like anything condition degrades over time. Even if stored properly. Nothing lasts forever.
    Some are like water, some are like the heat
    Some are a melody and some are the beat
    Sooner or later they all will be gone
    Why don't they stay young
    It's so hard to get old without a cause
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse
    Youth is like diamonds in the sun
    And diamonds are forever
    So many adventures couldn't happen today
    So many songs we forgot to play
    So many dreams are swinging out of the blue
    We let them come true

Forever young, I want to be forever young
    Do you really want to live forever, forever, forever

----Alphaville

I love mid-grade books. They still look good, but are a great bargain. I would much rather spend $4.00 on a bronze age book which is long enough to have a story than almost anything new. My collection is full of VG-Fine keys. Plus, filling gaps with lower grades with the ability to upgrade later is all part of the collecting 'experience.'

Not to derail the thread, but I have a loathing for anything CGC. I really don't understand the 'super-high grade' market for any book other than a key. The good thing is that it has made VF+ a real bargain too.

I don't have a lot of money for older issues so I use the current price of comics as a guide. I will go up to 4 bucks to fill holes in my collection. It's Mostly bronze and modern age , I have the Silvers that I need ( or can afford).
    Life is what you make it.

As most of you already know, my disability necessitates my handling my comics with my mouth. This pretty much guarantees that a NM book doesn't stay that way for long (though it can be an advantage: I once proved a "friend" stole several of my comics by pointing out the teethmarks in them!). So there's really no point in my seeking out high grade books. I'm perfectly content with trolling the $1 and 50-cent boxes. I prefer books without major tears, missing pages/panels/coupons, loose staples or some would-be artist's ballpoint "improvements," but I'll compromise for the right book and the right price. The only real dealbreaker for me is any kind of staining that might teach me what something unpleasant--battery acid, cat piss--tastes like.

Cei-U!
    I summon the Lavoris! (Do they still make Lavoris?)
    Last edited by Cei-U!; 11-14-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    As what something unpleasant--battery acid, cat piss--tastes like.
    This from a man who has had the effrontery to mock red cream soda.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    Do I wash my hands regularly? Course. I see nothing wrong with keeping clean. My Doctor tries to convince me otherwise but then what would she know?
    God knows shrinks, of whom I've seen a few in my time, are no more (& quite possibly less) infallible than anyone else, but ... well ... if you don't think her opinion is worth anything, the question arises as to what you're doing seeing her in the first place.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 11-14-2012 at 07:24 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Actually I do value her opinion and respect her enormously. But I don't like people who always think they are right. And many professional people tend to think because they have the certificates pinned on the wall that they are always right. So it can be a little awkward in the sessions from time to time because people like to tell me many things and being the patient I am expected to listen and obey and well, that's not always going to happen because I have a mind of my own. It's like sometimes I answer a question and the doctor will say I don't believe you and I think well, why ask me then? If you will not believe me? Yet if they tell me something I am expected to believe and obey them. It's not exactly an even playing field.

As someone who's not really adept at the whole "obey" thing, not to mention the very much related "respect authority for authority's sake" concept, I certainly get where you're coming from. None of my business anyway, of course; you brought the subject up, though, & I was curious, having been down similar roads (albeit not related to anything OCDish) myself.

(I've mentioned elsewhere being diagnosed with depression, albeit by a non-psychiatrist, when my problem was actually mono, of all things. I also appear to be about as prone to borderline personality disorder as my cats are, one shrink [in what turned out to be very much a minority-of-one opinion] notwithstanding.)
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 11-14-2012 at 07:51 AM.

-- Reptisaurus!

I just think people should be respected for having their own opinions and minds. I don't like a person to browbeat me. I want somebody to respect me. They don't have to like me or anything silly like that. But respect for having my own values and opinions would be nice. But of course that's a perfect world and if anything I have learned from life, life is not perfect.

Speaking of condition, I wonder if things like that will even matter to future generations when it comes to comics considering the rising percentage concerning digital comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    As most of you already know, my disability necessitates my handling my comics with my mouth.

Cei-U!
    I summon the Lavoris! (Do they still make Lavoris?)
    Ever tried reading digitally or is that the language of satan?
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

Quote Originally Posted by dr chimp View Post
    Ever tried reading digitally or is that the language of satan?
    The latter, in my estimation.

The fact that I make my living, such as it is, editing words & (via Photoshop) images for online consumption is a contradiction that I'm not prepared to address ... a position that you, as my attorney, are all too conversant with, of course.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 11-14-2012 at 08:09 AM.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    The latter, in my estimation.

The fact that I make my living, such as it is, editing words & (via Photoshop) images for online consumption is a contradiction that I'm not prepared to address ... a position that you, as my attorney, are all too conversant with, of course.
    "take a position and you'll only end up losing it" is as you know the Dr Chimp family motto.

In Cei-u's case though he could hook computer up to a big monitor or projector (i could never read off a laptop screen) and turn pages by whistling or some sort of head remote.
    Last edited by dr chimp; 11-14-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

I try to avoid paying more than $5 for a book unless it is a special occasion. Within that, I am accepting of some yellowing, a few cover creases or stains, maybe some cut out coupons from inside the book. I guess a high VG grade. I have a few books where the front cover looks great but the back cover is hell. I didn't bother to take them out of the bag and look when I bought them so I am kind of stuck. Still, the front looks good! LOL.

I usually have to have an attached cover and both staples. The last time I knowingly bought a book missing staple, it looked like the staple never made it to begin with, and the rest of the book was awesome. Plus, it only cost a quarter.

It's kind of a bummer when you can feel the wrinkling and deterioration all through the book. Perhaps it makes me think of my own mortality or perhaps it's just "icky!"
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

Quote Originally Posted by dr chimp View Post
    "take a position and you'll only end up losing it" is as you know the Dr Chimp family motto.
    And here I thought this was the Dr Chimp family motto --

Perhaps something was lost in translation, though.

-- Reptisaurus!