Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

As long as it's readable (and rereadable and rerereadable...) I'm good. Also, I love the smell of old books (comics or otherwise): it's like cut grass to me.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Smelly, yellow, coverless, or water-damaged are deal-breakers. Small tears I can deal with, but only small ones.

However, I almost never pay more than $5 for an individual issue, so I almost never get beauties, either.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

Depending on the price, I'll take the beat up ragged yellowed ones. But, I have a special pet peeve for those late 70s Marvel comics with the collector's stamp cut out, since the other side of the paper is usually a story page.

I try hard not to roll the spine on anything, but I'll be damned if I lend something and give lessons on how to read it properly. And, I still let kids read any of my comics they want, expensive, out of print, or otherwise (barring only for content-reasons and parental approval).

Lowe/Piece/Understatement Artycool8or's Avatar

Oh, I don't care if the book is beaten up, has writings all over, small/big tear, donkey ears, smells like the neighbours sewer back-up, or was used as a placemat, as long as it's Yours and not mine.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    I don't like coverless, cover detached, big chunks missing, or mustaches and boobs drawn on everyone in the comic, but a little wear doesn't bother me.
    Yet another in a long line of Rob Liefeld nonfans, I see.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 11-08-2012 at 07:11 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    when I returned the disc he put it underneath a microscope and found a small fingerprint. So that is obviously an extreme reaction, something I do not do myself but it goes to show how people badly, badly need to get lives, not to mention psychiatric therapy, possibly including a psychotropic regimen & perhaps even electroshock treament; in the meantime, repeated dope-slaps might well be helpful.
    Fixed that for you.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Hi Dan, well my friend was very particular. Everything was neatly ordered in his room. From compact discs to clothing, computer equipment etc. He was very controlled and orderly. So I respected that. I mean I have my own share of trauma and weird habits too. These days I have loosened up a lot. I'm not as particular as I once was when it comes to many things. Still there's always that nagging feeling when I see really badly conditioned items because I think, should I buy it? And more important if I do buy it will it just make me go crazy obsessing about it? But sometimes I can just appreciate the item. I mean I have comics in only VG condition too. Mostly because that was the only one I could afford/buy at the time. So it is what it is.

I'm not a psychiatrist (though I've seen a handful in my day), but I'm sorry -- if he's examining CDs with a microscope for fingerprints, he's disturbed & needs help ... &, failing that, deserves scorn.

-- Reptisaurus!

When I got my spider-woman back issues, they had to be;
    Clean
    Readable
    Durable
    Storable
    Coolable
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

I am pretty particular about the condition of the comics I buy. But on the other hand, I'd never spend a large amount of money on one comic book anyway, so I guess I'm not a collector that way. The books I'm most interested in are 1970s-on, and any key issues are likely reprinted somewhere. Lately I've been reacquiring comics I had as a kid, and since those were well-worn (I took them to school, friends' houses, on trips, rode around with them stuffed in the back of my bike, etc.) I like the new ones to look nice.

But I'm not going to moan about a minor flaw here and there. A while back I bought X-Men #135 on eBay. Beautiful copy, except that there was a spot on the back cover where a piece of tape must have gotten stuck, and had torn away a small area of the paper surface. I'm quite sure the seller either didn't realize it was there, or had honestly forgotten about it. Otherwise the book was perfect, so I was still very happy with it. It was certainly a lot nicer than my old copy!

This is a great topic...

I've found myself dealing with this a few times...having a nice grade back issue is awesome from the collector appreciation aspect of the hobby...
    I've definitely purchased low grade older books to have them, though...and you can build a pretty fun collection in doing so...the only problem, I read EVERY comic I own...so, sometimes there're low grade books that are so bad that they can't even really be read...

By and large, I tend to buy the best condition books (in the FN range) I can find that fall within a price range that i am willing to pay. For instance, i tend to be willing to spend up to $3.50 for Bronze age books. I tend to be willing to spend up to $8.00 on Silver age books. This means I tend to have few if any "key" issues. It also means my Silver age books tend to be in the VG to FN+ range, and my Bronze age books, FN- to VF+. I rarely buy anything lower than VG unless I really want it. However, if I am placing an order and have an option of FN, VF, or NM, I'll often take the FN to lower costs. My collection stops at around 1983 or so (when Marvel changes its cover banner, and DC goes to 95 cent cover price in Canada). I usually won't spend more than $2.00 for a book from the early eighties.

I won't buy a book that is soiled with food, human fluids, cat urine etc... At least not knowingly.

I inherited a huge collection back in the mid-eighties of comics in the Silver/Bronze age ranging from Poor to VF. I have replaced a number of these over the years simply because of condition.
    Last edited by Judomaster; 11-08-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Well, since I've pledged never to pay more than $5 for a comic, it goes w/o saying that I don't care about condition. I buy 'em to read, not to "collect" )in the sense that if I have issue #18 and issue #20 I don't feel a need to buy issue # 19 so I can slide it between them.)
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

The only thing that bugs me is missing pages or missing panels. I was rather upset when a comic Mile High classified as being in 'good' condition arrived with someone having carefully cut out a number of panels from the climax of the story. IMO a book is NOT in 'good' condition if parts of the story are missing.

I used to care much more than I do presently.

Staples are my big issue. I like 'em both firmly attached. While I'd rather not have a giant crease running through an entire book (mostly because it bother me as a I hold it), I am just ok with just a solid, readable book that has some years left in it.
    Check out my new Movie Podcast! Married With Clickers

Check Out My Blog: Seduction of the Indifferent at Seduction of the Indifferent

Look for Scott's Classic Comics Corner at Comics Should Be Good

"I'll tell you right out--I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk"