Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 121 to 134 of 134
  1. #121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    From what I've heard from Wildstorm fans, Jenkins' two issues of Stormwatch were best of the series. They should just have given him the job.
    They must have some horrible taste then because those were terrible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Except I'm really not, though...Check out Superboy #14 if you don't believe me. "He built a killing machine and...THAT'S ALL I'LL EVER BE." That's a verbatim quote.
    Yeah, and Lobdell didn't write that, genius.

  2. #122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    They must have some horrible taste then because those were terrible.
    I don't know. They've pretty much read every Stormwatch/Authority run before those issues so they should know what they're talking about.
    BB

  3. #123
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    I don't know. They've pretty much read every Stormwatch/Authority run before those issues so they should know what they're talking about.
    Nah, Jenkins's run was full of lame, overdone technobabble, questionable characterizations, and thin/filer plot.

  4. #124

    Default

    Eh, opinions vary. I could get my friend to make a rant on how Jenkins did great characterizations while Milligan made Apollo and Middy into horny teenagers :p
    BB

  5. #125
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    I'll take horny teenager over attempted child-killer.

  6. #126
    Senior Member WhitOro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    3,686

    Default

    So, I guess this is not a surprise:

    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=42290

    A side of me says "Yeah, maybe Marvel does recognizes talents a little better, they put a guy like Cornell on one of their big names knowing full well the potential instead of using him only for small books"
    The other side of me says "Fu*king Wolverine, really?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    God of Thunder seems to be well received, and I won't knock it at all.
    I liked Thor a lot like I knew I would have, not only Aaron is a great writer, the story was really of my taste. It's the price that kills it for me, I won't get it monthly, no sir, I refuse.

    And speaking of Marvel Now and creators, Gillen's Iron Man was shockingly dissapointing. A script so unbelievably unremarkable... set-up doesn't justify anything so dull and uninteresting. Greg Land's abominations didn't help a lot to make that issue. A complete failure. Really.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Young Avengers, but I still see DC as superior for creators so far.
    Last edited by WhitOro; 11-20-2012 at 12:38 PM.

  7. #127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro View Post
    So, I liked Thor a lot like I knew I would have, not only Aaron is a great writer, the story was really of my taste. It's the price that kills it for me, I won't get it monthly, no sir, I refuse.

    And speaking of Marvel Now and creators, Gillen's Iron Man was shockingly dissapointing. A script so unbelievably unremarkable... set-up doesn't justify anything so dull and uninteresting. Greg Land's abominations didn't help a lot to make that issue. A complete failure. Really.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Young Avengers, but I still see DC as superior for creators so far.
    Hey, we are on the same wavelength here. Though I didn't find Iron Man as shockingly dissapointing because I had no form of expectation outside of "Please, be entertaining." I didn't know much about the writer, only read one Iron Man story in the past, and I'm ho-hum about Greg Land in general; so I wasn't set out to dislike it, but it didn't give me any other choice!

  8. #128

    Default

    Already the preview for the second issue is an improvement over the first. I think each issue will get better and better as we move forward.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

    http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

  9. #129
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro View Post
    So, I guess this is not a surprise:

    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=42290

    A side of me says "Yeah, maybe Marvel does recognizes talents a little better, they put a guy like Cornell on one of their big names knowing full well the potential instead of using him only for small books"
    The other side of me says "Fu*king Wolverine, really?"


    I liked Thor a lot like I knew I would have, not only Aaron is a great writer, the story was really of my taste. It's the price that kills it for me, I won't get it monthly, no sir, I refuse.

    And speaking of Marvel Now and creators, Gillen's Iron Man was shockingly dissapointing. A script so unbelievably unremarkable... set-up doesn't justify anything so dull and uninteresting. Greg Land's abominations didn't help a lot to make that issue. A complete failure. Really.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Young Avengers, but I still see DC as superior for creators so far.
    Iron man was very ordinary.

    I hope Gillen can throw off the shackles and do a Bendis or Remender and take risks.

    Gillen plays his superhero stuff very safe (i'm not counting Journey into Mystery as that wasnt a superhero book).
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

  10. #130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Iron man was very ordinary.

    I hope Gillen can throw off the shackles and do a Bendis or Remender and take risks.

    Gillen plays his superhero stuff very safe (i'm not counting Journey into Mystery as that wasnt a superhero book).
    My first encounter with Gillen's stuff had me completely bored. His Ares series, his Beta Ray Bill mini, his Thor run, his first Uncanny arcs...just completely unremarkable on every level.

    But I think he's figuring out how to do a superhero book, and steadily improves. JiM was brilliant with just a few missteps thanks to crossovers, but even something like Uncanny got better and better as it went on. The first 4 issues were awful, then some nice ones, then some boring ones, then some nice ones...quite uneven, but still some real bright spots.

    Hopefully Iron Man will be even more consistent.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

    http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

  11. #131
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    My first encounter with Gillen's stuff had me completely bored. His Ares series, his Beta Ray Bill mini, his Thor run, his first Uncanny arcs...just completely unremarkable on every level.

    But I think he's figuring out how to do a superhero book, and steadily improves. JiM was brilliant with just a few missteps thanks to crossovers, but even something like Uncanny got better and better as it went on. The first 4 issues were awful, then some nice ones, then some boring ones, then some nice ones...quite uneven, but still some real bright spots.

    Hopefully Iron Man will be even more consistent.
    Quoted in agreement.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

  12. #132
    The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,686

    Default

    Gillen's mentioned that Iron Man takes a massive swerve around issue 6, I think. Quite why he didn't have that page 11 issue 1 is beyond me. Bloody decompression. The first issue is the promise and the premise. Or should be.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

  13. #133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vampiric_cannibal View Post
    Gillen's mentioned that Iron Man takes a massive swerve around issue 6, I think. Quite why he didn't have that page 11 issue 1 is beyond me. Bloody decompression. The first issue is the promise and the premise. Or should be.
    But the massive swerve is highly dictated by what Bendis is doing, so we'll see.

    It's less that I need something huge and different, and more that I want somthing smarter and denser. The story here would have been fine, if I felt that there was a stronger philosophical subtext or emotional resonance. But it was surprisingly superficial, in the final analysis (of one issue, of course).

    I'm on board for the concept of his overall run - Tony looking to find god, insofar as god is a meaning bigger and greater than oneself - but the execution here was utterly limp.

    As I said, still the first issue. The preview for the next has a nice conversation with the 'arthur' bloke about purpose and pretension and how they intersect, and already that's better than the entirity of the first issue, so I have hope.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

    http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

  14. #134
    Member Methalius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    In my eyes DC's talent pool is vastly superior to Marvel's. With Brubaker and Rucka gone the only writer Marvel has that I would quantify as great is Waid. Artwise Marvel doesn't hold a handle to DC.

    3 years ago I read pretty much everything Marvel put out. These days I read about 4 Marvel titles a month. I read close to 30 DC titles.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •