Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is it just me or am I getting the feeling that they're putting all their critically acclaimed writers on Avengers (Remender & Gillen) and putting all their not so critically acclaimed writers on Xmen (Bendis).

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Is it just me or am I getting the feeling that they're putting all their critically acclaimed writers on Avengers (Remender & Gillen) and putting all their not so critically acclaimed writers on Xmen (Bendis).
    I think it has more to do with mixing things up. Bendis has been on Avengers way too long. Nice change of pace for him.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Bendis definately falls in the critically acclaimed category. He's got the Eisners on his book shelf to prove it. And though his Avengers run no longer consistantly the top selling book in marvel, it was the top selling book in the whole industry for the better part of a decade.

I think marvel is giving the X books one of their perceived big guns. I know some aren't a fan of Bendis stuff, but I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that marvel perceives him as one of their biggest assets. And rightfully so.

Really liked this first issue. I stopped reading IM during Fraction's run because it bored me; lots of talk and little action, and too much of the story was about Pepper/WM/Stark Resilient. Tony felt like a guest-star in too many issues. Hearing Gillen say the first five issues were about Tony and only Tony was music to my ears. The only drawback was the black and yellow suit; hopefully the hot rod red and gold will be back for the second arc.

I would love a Iron Man run with Doug Moench and Paul Gulacy, making it very Bond-ish.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

According to IGN this is just the same 'ol Iron man stuff.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Bendis is a weird writer for me. I most enjoy his work when I'm able to forget he is writing it. Bendis, the writer of Ultimate Spider-Man, is a genius. Bendis, the writer of Avengers, is a "hack" that caused me to rage quit and curse his name.

Hopefully he is more suited to X-Men characters. If he clicks, it might be pretty amazing.

I loved Land on Ultimate Fantastic Four, but he had a different inker back then, right?

Maybe it's time we start giving inkers (or as Kevin Smith refers to them in his movies - tracers) more credit than we've been giving them.

I agree that the art in issue #1 was disappointing, but I really think the inker had a lot to do with that. Land drew the "Crossover" arc in Ultimate Fantastic Four to perfection. In fact, he had EVERYTHING to do with Marvel Zombies becoming the huge fad it quickly became. Had anyone else drawn "Crossover", I'm pretty confident we'd have never seen any "Marvel Zombies" minis.

The way he drew the infected was downright creepy... and every artist that drew Marvel Zombies after that borrowed something from Land, but never quite got it right.

Story wise this seems like will be a cool series,the first five stories being done in just one issue is a interesting start to this new series of Iron Man.
    Recently Secret Avengers had that during six issues while Ellis was writing that way and it made for the best stories in that series,so it is great to the first issues of IM being that way.
    And visually speaking Land illustrations of the armored scenes look good as well,so i will be getting at least the first issues for sure.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Here I wanted to show that's happened to Maya and she's escaped, but if she successfully escaped then she would have to go and solve the problem. It would be Maya's story.

Man. That would have been so awesome.

I mean, I'm glad he's aware he's basically fridging her for Tony's story, but that doesn't make it sting any less. There are so very little categorically brilliant female characters in the MCU, much less so deliciously morally gray as Maya, it really sucked that a) she hadn't been used in the Marvel universe much, if at all, and b) once an interesting backstory as to why she's been off the radar for awhile is introduced, she's immediately killed off.

I'm really hoping it's a feint and we'll see that she used Extremis on herself earlier, and regeneration is just taking forever. I don't know, I think there's just something super interesting in having someone who can (platonically) relate to Tony on that level, while also having entirely different priorities.

Plus, she's going to be in the movie, so it would be nice for her to stick around in the narrative until then. Unless they're killing her in the movies too, then :(((((((((