Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default JLD New writer/ Frankenstein joining

So who is the new writer for JLD with Jeff lemire leaving? Has it been announced yet. If not who do you hope it is? Also is Frankenstein joining? I would love to see one of my favorite characters join the series.

BANNED

Jeff is not leaving JLD, he is gaining a co-writer [bollocks].
    Last edited by Outside_85; 11-08-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Wait, what? The X-O writer is Robert Vendetti, he's joining Demon Knights. Ray Fawkes is joining JLD.

Yeah, Outside is confused.

Ray Fawkes hasn't done a lot of actual genre work, just two things that I've seen, so we'll see. His One Soul was a really moving piece, and a BRILLIANT use of the medium. He's very big in the 'indie' scene, friends with guys like Lemire and Fialkov and all that. Ales Kot just gave his "One Soul" a shout out, and while I"m a little unsure about Kot's skills as a writer I think he's got some impeccable taste, generally.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I thought Lemire had confirmed that he wasn't leaving JLD.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I thought Lemire had confirmed that he wasn't leaving JLD.

Peace
    He's not. He's getting a permanent co-writer in Ray Fawkes.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Yeah, Outside is confused.

Ray Fawkes hasn't done a lot of actual genre work, just two things that I've seen, so we'll see. His One Soul was a really moving piece, and a BRILLIANT use of the medium. He's very big in the 'indie' scene, friends with guys like Lemire and Fialkov and all that. Ales Kot just gave his "One Soul" a shout out, and while I"m a little unsure about Kot's skills as a writer I think he's got some impeccable taste, generally.
    COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC BUT

I thought Kot's Wild Children was all sorts of fun but seeing as it's the only comic work he's written I understand being shaky about him still looking forward to Changes and Zero. You're right though about his taste though along with Brandon Graham they're both my favorite comics dudes in liking cool things.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberGhost View Post
    COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC BUT

I thought Kot's Wild Children was all sorts of fun but seeing as it's the only comic work he's written I understand being shaky about him still looking forward to Changes and Zero. You're right though about his taste though along with Brandon Graham they're both my favorite comics dudes in liking cool things.
    So Wild Children...well, it's a valiant effort, but I had a lot of problems with it. For the most part, it was just a recapitulation of a lot of the same sources and ideas that Morrison drew upon for his "Invisibles", stripped of a narrative or characters or plot or anything that makes it affecting and internalized. All it was was Kot telling us about these various theories/philosophies/ideas. The problem,t hen,w as that Morrison's Invisibles. 1. Already did that. 2. Inspired me to go and look up the sources myself. Having been familiar with most of the stuff Kot was drawing from, and Kot not bothering to put together any sort of story, I was left pretty bored.

The thing is, I love that he's informed by the things he's informed by. I love those influences, I love that work. I want to see more of those ideas proliferate. But not at the expense of some basic storytelling technique. Because as much as I'm down for experimentation, the goal of experimentation should be to make your work more affecting, not less, and the whole purpose of story is to hide the moral and meaning, a trojan horse to implant ideas in your brain.

Bah, anyway. I'm excited about seeing more work out of him, and I hope that the craft meets the inspiration.

He's got a thing coming up for DC, a Batman digital story, and I suspect that is going to be much more 'craft' than inspiration. I'm excited to see that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Allen123 View Post
    So who is the new writer for JLD with Jeff lemire leaving? Has it been announced yet. If not who do you hope it is? Also is Frankenstein joining? I would love to see one of my favorite characters join the series.
    As others said, Jeff is not leaving the book. And yes, Frankie joins the team in the Annual (now in stores) and is now a member.
    Best regards.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Quote Originally Posted by RubberGhost View Post
    COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC BUT

Wild Children may be one of the best comics i've ever read. It reminded me of Vertigo-era Milligan/Morrison. Absolutely premium praise.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_Solanas View Post
    Wild Children may be one of the best comics i've ever read. It reminded me of Vertigo-era Milligan/Morrison. Absolutely premium praise.
    really?

It had the aesthetic charm of them but none of the depth, complexity and interest of them.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    really?

It had the aesthetic charm of them but none of the depth, complexity and interest of them.
    This.

It was a lecture about the themes Morrison played with, more than a thing in and of itself. It added nothing, and it gave no new insight.

I was hugely disappointed by it.

But, again, very positive about the potential. As with Hickman (more an acolyte of Ellis and Giffen), I'll be picking up his future work with great hope and excitement.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    really?

The superficiality of youth was the complexity. Not every story has to be a detailed character study, esp. for a one shot. The spirit, the message, it was completely outre, completely balls out, completely classic Vertigo.

It would have been better if it was a mini-series than a one-shot.

The amount of information Kot was putting out was a lot to take in and a lot to put out. It he did a mini, he would have given himself some breathing space and would have tackled in his themes in a more meaningful way and expanded on them with his own touches.

I agree, he has potential but I'll wait on his two new comics, see what reviews/friends say about it.
    The 9th Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_Solanas View Post
    The superficiality of youth was the complexity. Not every story has to be a detailed character study, esp. for a one shot. The spirit, the message, it was completely outre, completely balls out, completely classic Vertigo.
    True, but he has not going over anything amazing or new, just retreading old ground and not even in an interesting way.

Milligan has done a lot of one-shots and in a majority of them, he has been able to do great detailed character study with them and explore complex themes with them.

Look at Rogan Gosh, complete balls out, as Wild Children but it was more complex, meticulous and in-depth one-shot that brought forth the notion of what stories are and convergence of stories are/is (if I'm remembering it correctly).
    The 9th Blog