Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Deadpool, #1

Quote Originally Posted by chakal View Post
    I love how that agent of shield said that DP is not the hero they want, but the scumbag they need. It was pretty essential to the character, who still wants to be viewed as hero.

EDIT: and nobody is fighting here. really. i leave fighting to comic books and cinema.
    I'd be opened to getting that scumbag line tattooed on my body. Great line.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by Deus ex Chris View Post
    Seriously? Those other two keep pulling him back in with their nonsense.

Anyway, this thread is excruciating. I was hoping to see something that might prompt me to try the book, but instead I found some tragically defensive fans desperately trying to make this happen. That's cool. Manhattan Projects is giving me plenty of crazy dead presidents to read. I'll just save some money. Thanks, Deadpool fans.
    I wrote a review, and broke down why Deadpool #1 was good, here.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Guys disliking a book does not automatically mean trolling. Keep the discussion on Deadpool, be it positive or negative.
    XPOTM:September 2010

4.5 out of 5 . ok F-U CBR. not listening to your reviews anymore. this was the worst issue of deadpool i have ever , ever read. trying to hard on the jokes , didn't speak to himself once. this was not wade wilson i have been reading for over a decade !

I am shocked at the high score. Great art, decent concept for the plot, but it wasn't funny. Ok, some of the imagery and lines delivered by people other than Deadpool were chuckle-worthy. But Deadpool's lines were painfully, groanfully, lame! As comicbook man said above, he was trying too hard. Every joke of his was a forced, awful pun, it was just sad. It's as if my grandfather was Deadpool, trying to crank out all sorts of lame old-fashioned zingers, except my grandfather is actually funny now and then.

From a pair of comedians, the writing wasn't very funny. Or maybe the presidential puns went over my head. Regardless, I hope things improve by the second arc cause I was bored reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by comicbook man View Post
    4.5 out of 5 . ok F-U CBR. not listening to your reviews anymore. this was the worst issue of deadpool i have ever , ever read. trying to hard on the jokes , didn't speak to himself once. this was not wade wilson i have been reading for over a decade !
    Isn't Wade speaking to himself a new development?
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Well, the writers are pretty inexperienced, so you can expect that they'll become better with each issue.
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

Maybe becayse x-fans don't consider DP part of the x-universe? Can't say I blame them, but the sole fact that Deadpool got his own X-Men: Origins special speaks for itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDP View Post
    That's part of it, but it's mostly snobbery. Deadpool doesn't have that Soap Opera vibe X-Fans tend to favor.

Another reason: Deadpool is like a slap in the face. He's a leading title character that defies nearly every expectation of what a leading character can be.
    The majority of X-Men fans I know, including myself, consider Deadpool a X-Men character. It has nothing to do with Deadpool's affiliation or a fan's snobbery, but much more to do with the fact that some of us remember a time when Deadpool was written by Kelly. For the past decade or so, Deadpool has been nothing more than a one-note parody with shallow slap-stick jokes and humor that seemingly only a junior-high boy or collegiate male would laugh at. Today's Deadpool just simply lacks wit, depth, and development.

Deadpool under Kelly's pen, on the other hand, was a threatening and intimidating individual who's twisted and warped personality scared the hell out of you - but whether it be pity or empathy, you couldn't help but to both resent and relate to the poor guy. Kelly made Deadpool feel like an organic psycopath with a broken moral compass and cast of loveable friends and foes - and every writer after him has made him feel like a cartoon character hosting an awkward episode of SNL with various guest stars, random skits, and no hint of a script.

After reading this I can say it wasn't the worst thing I've read this week, but it really wasn't that great. More of a "meh" to me. I thought the jokes didn't really land for me and the concept for the villains wasn't something I'm personally interested in. I think the idea that dead presidents would cause bad PR for the normal heroes is a bit weak. With the exception of Ms. Marvel I've never seen one Marvel hero ever speak about his public rating. Hell, you have Daredevil running around at one point hold Hell's Kitchen hostage during the Shadowlands story, I don't think the Marvel public would really care about Captain America killing a zombie.. even one that looks like Roosevelt. I do have to say after reading the last Deadpool series the lack of talking captions felt like something was missing.

Really enjoyed the issue. It was a lot of fun and was funny. As a fan of presidential history, that made the story all the more interesting for me.

Humor is especially subjective. But I laughed pretty steady, even at things Deadpool said and did (the scene with Thor for example). There were some groaners, the wheel pun made me wince. So there's room to grow. But I had a good time overall and foundmuch of the humor, well... humorous.
    PrettyDeadly/WonderWoman/FBP/Velvet/Revival/Lazarus/EastofWest/ManhattanProjects/Fatale/Alex+Ada/Rat Queens/Saga/Bandette/HighCrimes/Red Sonja/RachelRising/Ghost/Zero/Veil/Cap. Marvel/She Hulk/Magneto

Ok, we get it. You didn't enjoy it.

I liked the facial impressions of the characters, and I love the small nuances, like DP running into liberty hall with his guns and blades.
    Or when the Shield agent took his arm, while lifting him up. The idea for the plot is pretty Way-ish, but let's see how they manage to finish their first arc.

EDIT: Oh, thanks DoctorDP, didn't know that. It's cool to see new characters in DP's cast.
    Sight gags, when they are the main joke in the panel, are not nuanced.
    Hawkeye, X-Men Legacy, FF, Animal Man, Wonder Woman, Manhattan Projects, Fatale, East of West, Bedlam, Saga, Bandette, Nowhere Men

I didn't care for this. Very nice art but that wasn't enough to save it for me. The jokes all fell flat; mostly cheesy puns and cheap laughs. I should have followed my gut instinct after that preview with the image of Deadpool jumping out of a dinosaur's stomach yelling "here comes Deadpool!".

I think I'll just go read Cable & Deadpool again instead.

Deadpool is one of those books that when I'm into it, I'm really into it. There was a time when I was getting Deadpool, Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth, Deadpool Team-Up and Deadpool Corps, though I got kind of burnt out and just went back to his main title. I even dropped it for a bit, but I'm back with this issue to give the character another go. So far, I thought this was a decent first issue. There's enough here for me to get the next one and see where this is going. I liked Abe shooting Deadpool in the back of the head, lol.
    Please visit CrossGen Forums, The premier meeting place for fans of CrossGen