Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 57 of 57
  1. #46
    NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,695

    Default

    My closest and biggest comic book shop has had a Valiant buzz going on since the launch of X-O #1, it seemed to have died out after the 4th issue of X-O launched but over the past several weeks I've heard more and more customers talking among themselves with their friends about Valiant books (I try to listen in) and I've had the guys running the counter telling me that Shadowman #1 is selling really well and the latest issues of the Valiant titles have been pretty stellar with sales. One guy mentioned that A&A has picked up in the shop and went from selling 2 or 3 copies a month to 10-11 in just a short amount of time, which is great news. I know this wont be the case in every comic shop, but I've noticed a lot of buzz in my general area about Valiant and it's certainly refreshing to see.

  2. #47
    Senior Member G. Boney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    2,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyeps View Post
    I wish VALIANT had books out every week, I was talking to a LCS guy and he agreed it's important that they have something new on the shelf every week.

    A lot of excitment is built over the month then that kind of dies down during the off week.

    I'm glad we're getting 2 books today but it kind of sucks that there is nothing for next week, between December and January there is 2 weeks with nothing.

    This is a buzz killer, whether they spread their current titles out a little more or add another book I think it's important they put something out every week to build momentum.
    Someone in another thread said Valiant wants to have 15 books by 2015. I personally think that might be too much too soon, but I generally agree with you that it would be cool to have something from the company every week (provided the current level of quality is maintained, of course).
    "Moving to Dakota to avoid superheroes is like moving to Quantico to avoid the FBI." -- Dwayne McDuffie

    My comic: https://www.facebook.com/pages/MYTH-...31161003585134

  3. #48
    Verily VALIANT! BugsySig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Someone in another thread said Valiant wants to have 15 books by 2015. I personally think that might be too much too soon, but I generally agree with you that it would be cool to have something from the company every week (provided the current level of quality is maintained, of course).
    I believe they said "as many as 4 titles a year over the next 3 years". So it will depend on various factors (sales, pitches, etc). I think 8 would be perfect, and eventually 12 would be OK. 15 seems high, but if they can do it successfully without sacrificing quality then I am all for it.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

  4. #49
    Senior Member rasx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,673

    Default

    http://networkedblogs.com/EVYXE
    Something Zircher said here that makes me think of Dr. Mirage.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

  5. #50
    Verily VALIANT! BugsySig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rasx View Post
    http://networkedblogs.com/EVYXE
    Something Zircher said here that makes me think of Dr. Mirage.
    Mirage makes the most sense to appear in Shadoman, just like EW in A&A and eventually Rai in Bloodshot. I also believe HARD Corps will be appearing soon either in Harbinger or Bloodshot.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

  6. #51
    BLOOD OF THE MACHINE Mechano's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,991

    Default

    15 books sounds fine to me... I mean, think of how many the other publishers have. And there are a lot more books I would like to see them put out.

  7. #52
    Verily VALIANT! BugsySig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mechano View Post
    15 books sounds fine to me... I mean, think of how many the other publishers have. And there are a lot more books I would like to see them put out.
    Yah, here's how I see it playing out:

    1st Wave
    XO
    Harbinger
    Bloodshot
    A&A
    Shadowman

    2nd Wave (most likely due to current appearances and previous popularity/recognition)
    Ninjak
    Eternal Warrior
    Rai

    3rd Wave (best remaining concepts/rumored favorites of VEI)
    HARD Corps
    Doctor Mirage
    Secret Weapons
    Quantum & Woody
    Trinity Angels

    That's 13 right there that I have no problem with. I doubt we will see Psi-Lords or Geomancer as ongoing series, but you never know, and titles like the Visitor, PunX and The Outcast are best left either alone all-together or as concepts to appear in other books.

    By that point I would think new concepts and characters would come about, but I wouldn't expect those for a few years.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

  8. #53
    Senior Member G. Boney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    2,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mechano View Post
    15 books sounds fine to me... I mean, think of how many the other publishers have. And there are a lot more books I would like to see them put out.
    A lot of books doesn't equal a lot of good books, as marvel & dc prove on a monthly basis, heh heh. But it wasn't about the number of books to me, but the seeming rush to that number. Obviously what I think doesn't matter in the end. If Valiant can put out 15 books in the timeframe they supposedly want to and maintain the level they are at right now...that would be great (not great on my wallet though lol).
    "Moving to Dakota to avoid superheroes is like moving to Quantico to avoid the FBI." -- Dwayne McDuffie

    My comic: https://www.facebook.com/pages/MYTH-...31161003585134

  9. #54
    Verily VALIANT! BugsySig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    A lot of books doesn't equal a lot of good books, as marvel & dc prove on a monthly basis, heh heh. But it wasn't about the number of books to me, but the seeming rush to that number. Obviously what I think doesn't matter in the end. If Valiant can put out 15 books in the timeframe they supposedly want to and maintain the level they are at right now...that would be great (not great on my wallet though lol).
    The key to the original comment from Warren Smons is "up to" 4 titles per year. It's not set in stone or completely mapped out, just a general idea of what they may do depending on various factors. If they can't do something well, I don't think they will do it.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

  10. #55
    Junior Member Sentinel Supreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyeps View Post
    But that doesn't make a lot of sense as they have us one way or another, what they need is new books on the shelf every week to create the buzz in the shops that brings in new readers.

    Here is an example- while I was talking to the LCS guy about VALIANT, 2 other customers came in and got their books. The first guy had XO and Harb in his stack, the second guy had a Shadowman in his stack. I also noticed he was already sold out of XO 7.

    I said "looks like VALIANT is selling pretty well, both those guys bought VALIANT" he said the first guy was all in for VALIANT and the second had just picked up his first VALIANT with Shadowman, the LCS guy figured he must have picked it up because he heard us talking about VALIANT (or Vailiant as he pronounces it).

    This guy heard buzz in the shop and picked up his first VALIANT, these are the guys VALIANT needs to grow it's readership. Nobody buzzes about last weeks comics and for new people the V buzz in the background goes away and they forget about it. If they go to their shop and there is always new VALIANT on the shelf, the buzz in the shop is non stop and these guys think "hey, I better check that out, I have no idea what it is but everyone is talking about it."
    This is a really point. Valiant needs to have new books on the shelves every week, not just because fans like us want them to, but because they can't grow their business if the only people picking up Valiant books are the people who've already pre-ordered. My LCS hasn't really liked how Valiant has been handling their relaunch, to be honest. They've found the number of Variants coming out has made ordering books confusing, and since Valiant is still an unproven commodity from a retailer's perspective, my LCS is unwilling to order enough books to have extras on the shelves for anyone who hasn't already pre-ordered, because those books are non-returnable. One of the reasons that the New 52 was a success was because DC made all of the original New 52 titles returnable, which is an important incentive to give retailers who don't want to order the book because they're afraid they'll have unsold copies on their shelves.
    X-O Manowar. Harbinger. Bloodshot. Archer & Armstrong. Swamp Thing. Dial H. Captain Marvel. Hit-Girl. Saga. Prophet. Read my reviews of these and more at The Comic Book Couple!

  11. #56
    Verily VALIANT! BugsySig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel Supreme View Post
    This is a really point. Valiant needs to have new books on the shelves every week, not just because fans like us want them to, but because they can't grow their business if the only people picking up Valiant books are the people who've already pre-ordered. My LCS hasn't really liked how Valiant has been handling their relaunch, to be honest. They've found the number of Variants coming out has made ordering books confusing, and since Valiant is still an unproven commodity from a retailer's perspective, my LCS is unwilling to order enough books to have extras on the shelves for anyone who hasn't already pre-ordered, because those books are non-returnable. One of the reasons that the New 52 was a success was because DC made all of the original New 52 titles returnable, which is an important incentive to give retailers who don't want to order the book because they're afraid they'll have unsold copies on their shelves.
    The problem is a small start up like VALIANT can't afford a buy back program, and they need the incentive program for those shops who are willing to order up. I don't think there's any right way to do it, but VALIANT has done a pretty good job thus far. I agree a book every week is the one thing they need to have happen at this point.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

  12. #57
    Senior Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyeps View Post
    But that doesn't make a lot of sense as they have us one way or another, what they need is new books on the shelf every week to create the buzz in the shops that brings in new readers.

    Here is an example- while I was talking to the LCS guy about VALIANT, 2 other customers came in and got their books. The first guy had XO and Harb in his stack, the second guy had a Shadowman in his stack. I also noticed he was already sold out of XO 7.

    I said "looks like VALIANT is selling pretty well, both those guys bought VALIANT" he said the first guy was all in for VALIANT and the second had just picked up his first VALIANT with Shadowman, the LCS guy figured he must have picked it up because he heard us talking about VALIANT (or Vailiant as he pronounces it).

    This guy heard buzz in the shop and picked up his first VALIANT, these are the guys VALIANT needs to grow it's readership. Nobody buzzes about last weeks comics and for new people the V buzz in the background goes away and they forget about it. If they go to their shop and there is always new VALIANT on the shelf, the buzz in the shop is non stop and these guys think "hey, I better check that out, I have no idea what it is but everyone is talking about it."
    I guy in my LCS that I see on occasion but we've known each other over a decade just as acquaintances from LCS and local comic show run ins picked up Bloodshots 1-3 just cause I was talking about VALIANT when he came in and asked for a recommendation. I told him either XO or Bloodshot. He went for BS cause he could get them all off the shelf at that time.

    I haven't seen him since so I look forward to seeing if he's still picking up BS and/or getting any other titles.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •