Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

sorry late to the thread dew too crazy weather didndt get my books to today liked this book alot i loved origanal shadowman this is different but think this will blend well in new valaint universe wich is starting to tie itself together im so happy how valaint has handled this relaunch i came back too comcis because the darkhorse relaunch wich had fell flat in my eyes now only if valaint can buy back glod key c harecters

Another launch by Valiant that is so incredibly much better than anything put out by rival publishers. That said, it's not my favorite from Valiant and I probably won't be picking it up much after this. It's been a couple of days now since I read it, and the story is actually hazy to me - the first Valiant title I could characterize as largely forgettable. The art was incredibly striking, but it's kind of startling that I'll have to read it again after only two days to remember what it's about.

Still, that's an improvement over Bloodshot, which though I remembered - I did so largely negatively. That one's just not my cup of tea, and it's irritating to know that it will play a key role in developing the plots of most if not all of the other titles.

Archer & Armstrong had the best first issue by far, and as a title I can't decide whether I prefer it or XO. Harbinger comes in next (though the last issue of that left me a little cold). Then Shadowman and finally Bloodshot.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

i'm starting to wonder if valiant can make a book that isn't five stars... everything, i mean, EVERYTHING they touch is solid gold. they have so much respect for the original material, and put out a fresh take on it. Shadowman continues the fine tradition.

Another great title from Valiant. This was a very good issue with top-notch art and a very good story. I still get the old Valiant feel with a modern take on everything now. Liking the new villain Twist and Master Dark looks very good.

Once Rai and Eternal Warrior come out, I may have more Valiant titles than Marvel. I already get more Valiant than DC.
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

I quite enjoyed it. Didnt think the dialogue was that cheesy. Maybe cos i was expecting it?
    It did a nice job with the setup, art was great. Seemed like a mix of The Darkness and the current Swamp Thing.
    Another hit for Valiant, bring on #2!

Am I the last to this discussion? I only got around to reading my books over the weekend since last Wednesday and avoided this thread Thur-now.

I really liked this issue. I'm giving it 4o5 stars. I didn't read the CBR review cause I know there's a better use of 5minutes but you guys confirmed that it's what I thought.
    The colors were great. The writing was solid. The character Mr.Twist looks promising for sure. I didn't have a problem with the pacing as another said.

I did think the last line "I'm Shadowman" was a bit hokey if only cause Jack has no idea what just happened. What it implies is that he's been possessed and it was the Shadowman within him speaking. That's the only thing to discern from that. However, since that hasn't been explained it felt a tad off. It's why he was wearing the talisman after all for all these years, or at least A reason. I also thought the turn of the cliche "Jack of all Trades" was another stretch. I don't to hear how he's also "Jack be quick" later in another issue or "Jack be nimble". His he going to be a ladies man and be a "Jack of Hearts"?
    This is what pops in my mind when playing on his name happens, "I guess they kinda needed a Jack of all Trades. Which I kinda am".

I too was bummed that he at least wasn't shown as having an interest in the saxophone. Been cool if in his "office" a sax had been propped up and he was asked "do you play" and his answer was "as a hobby". Something, I'm fine with him not being a solid musician but felt that should've been there. Still could be I suppose. We never did see his place, I doubt he lives at the museum.

Overall solid and looking forward to more.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

I just received my copy yesterday. The down side to no local shops and having to order everything online.

I really liked this book, diffently a stay in my pull list! However, Im new to Shadowman and a little confused. How many "Shadowmans" has there been? Did his father just disappear or was that a untimely death? Im headed to wiki to see about tracking down some more background. Regardless what I may or may not learn Im excited for #2!

Quote Originally Posted by MT2 View Post
    I just received my copy yesterday. The down side to no local shops and having to order everything online.

I really liked this book, diffently a stay in my pull list! However, Im new to Shadowman and a little confused. How many "Shadowmans" has there been? Did his father just disappear or was that a untimely death? Im headed to wiki to see about tracking down some more background. Regardless what I may or may not learn Im excited for #2!
    The legacy aspect is a (mostly) new concept. In the original VALIANT Shadowman there was a Shadowman before Jack named Maxim St. James in the 1800s. The Acclaim version had a different Shadowman named Michael LeRoi and eluded to a history of Shadowman dating back to ancient West Africa. I see a similar lineage being used here.

When the Shadowman Loa possesses Jack in the new version two of the names he recites are Maxim and Michael. Probably just an Easter egg, but it leaves open the possibility of working those characters into the history.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

First off, CBR is just plain stupid for such a low review. I've learned not to really listen to reviews much though because many of my favorite albums, video games, movies, and comics have all been panned by "critics". Just because some idiot doesn't like it doesn't mean that others wont.

Amazing first issue and the absolute best issue Valiant has put out yet, for me it's right up there with Harbinger #3 and X-O #4 for me (my two favorite issues Valiant released) and I'd say it definitely surpassed them. The art was amazing, it reminds me a lot of classic early 90's Image (which I loved) and the writing was awesome and left me wanting more, especially of this Mr. Twist character who just seems so badass after that awesome intro. I think the debate about the end and whether or not Jack knew of the Shadowman mantle before hand is a bit silly, I believe he's obviously under the control of the power and it's going to guide and help him along the way, I don't think he knew it existed before hand and will probably spend some time figuring it all out when he's not in action.

I loved the story about his parents and him trying to find them along with the answers he found, that would have been my reaction too if I was Jack. All in all everything about this issue was spectacular and I am heavily anticipating the second issue in December, it just sucks having to wait a whole month but at least there are other Valiant books to read in the interim.

I wish VALIANT had books out every week, I was talking to a LCS guy and he agreed it's important that they have something new on the shelf every week.

A lot of excitment is built over the month then that kind of dies down during the off week.

I'm glad we're getting 2 books today but it kind of sucks that there is nothing for next week, between December and January there is 2 weeks with nothing.

This is a buzz killer, whether they spread their current titles out a little more or add another book I think it's important they put something out every week to build momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyeps View Post
    I wish VALIANT had books out every week, I was talking to a LCS guy and he agreed it's important that they have something new on the shelf every week.

A lot of excitment is built over the month then that kind of dies down during the off week.

I'm glad we're getting 2 books today but it kind of sucks that there is nothing for next week, between December and January there is 2 weeks with nothing.

This is a buzz killer, whether they spread their current titles out a little more or add another book I think it's important they put something out every week to build momentum.
    QFT, Brother, QFT.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Though they give you Valiant withdrawal, which might be an effective marketing strategy. The fan base (myself proudly included) seem very loyal and enthusiastic, so that may have something to do with that.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

I just re-read issue #1 last night before bed and it was every bit as good as it was the first time, I seriously think this book has the potential to become my #1 Valiant title and maybe my favorite title in all of comics, we'll have to wait and see how the rest of the arc goes though. So far this book is off and running with a bang and I'm excited to engulf myself with more of this character.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechano View Post
    i'm starting to wonder if valiant can make a book that isn't five stars... everything, i mean, EVERYTHING they touch is solid gold. they have so much respect for the original material, and put out a fresh take on it. Shadowman continues the fine tradition.
    They got world building down pat!
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    Though they give you Valiant withdrawal, which might be an effective marketing strategy. The fan base (myself proudly included) seem very loyal and enthusiastic, so that may have something to do with that.
    But that doesn't make a lot of sense as they have us one way or another, what they need is new books on the shelf every week to create the buzz in the shops that brings in new readers.

Here is an example- while I was talking to the LCS guy about VALIANT, 2 other customers came in and got their books. The first guy had XO and Harb in his stack, the second guy had a Shadowman in his stack. I also noticed he was already sold out of XO 7.

I said "looks like VALIANT is selling pretty well, both those guys bought VALIANT" he said the first guy was all in for VALIANT and the second had just picked up his first VALIANT with Shadowman, the LCS guy figured he must have picked it up because he heard us talking about VALIANT (or Vailiant as he pronounces it).

This guy heard buzz in the shop and picked up his first VALIANT, these are the guys VALIANT needs to grow it's readership. Nobody buzzes about last weeks comics and for new people the V buzz in the background goes away and they forget about it. If they go to their shop and there is always new VALIANT on the shelf, the buzz in the shop is non stop and these guys think "hey, I better check that out, I have no idea what it is but everyone is talking about it."