Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Shadowman #1 Discussion & **SPOILERS**

This was a very good book. Beautiful art and tons of set up and background for both the Shadowman Legacy and the supporting cast.

The new villain, Mr. Twist, was genuinely disgusting and frightening, and I thought his dialogue gave him a unique voice.

I also enjoyed the little shout-out/Easter eggs when the Shadowman Spirit was saying the names of the previous Shadowmen: Maxim (St. James) and Michael (LeRoi).

My only gripe was the last bit of dialogue was a bit cheesy (see the discussion about the early review in another thread) and took some of the oomph out of the last page reveal.

Overall, another top notch first issue from VALIANT. I think this book will end up being a pretty big hit a la Spawn, Darkness and some other superhero/horror books of the past.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    This was a very good book. Beautiful art and tons of set up and background for both the Shadowman Legacy and the supporting cast.

The new villain, Mr. Twist, was genuinely disgusting and frightening, and I thought his dialogue gave him a unique voice.

I also enjoyed the little shout-out/Easter eggs when the Shadowman Spirit was saying the names of the previous Shadowmen: Maxim (St. James) and Michael (LeRoi).

My only gripe was the last bit of dialogue was a bit cheesy (see the discussion about the early review in another thread) and took some of the oomph out of the last page reveal.

Overall, another top notch first issue from VALIANT. I think this book will end up being a pretty big hit a la Spawn, Darkness and some other superhero/horror books of the past.
    I strong agree with you here Bugsy, I can't believe CBR gave this ONLY TWO STARS? Oh wait, it's not a Marvel or DC book...YES I CAN!

Wtf was the reviewer from this site thinking? This wasn't nearly as shaky a first issue as Archer and Armstrong, or, I don't know, over half the New 52's #1 issues. Seriously. The reviewer here is way off-base. I think people's ultra-high expectations might drive review scores a bit lower for this one, but this was a very solid first issue with some great art, and a good establishment for the story going forward. This wasn't a run-of-the-mill "chosen one" story like the CBR reviewer suggested. It was much closer to Robinson's Starman series, where the main character is going to find out that he is the latest in a very long-line of Shadowmen.

People, don't let this wonky review keep you from buying this book. It's a great start to the next era of Shadowman. Yes, the last bit of dialogue was over-the-top, and I said as much in my own review of this issue, but that final page does in no way diminish what was otherwise a great first issue.
    X-O Manowar. Harbinger. Bloodshot. Archer & Armstrong. Swamp Thing. Dial H. Captain Marvel. Hit-Girl. Saga. Prophet. Read my reviews of these and more at The Comic Book Couple!

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel Supreme View Post
    I strong agree with you here Bugsy, I can't believe CBR gave this ONLY TWO STARS? Oh wait, it's not a Marvel or DC book...YES I CAN!

Wtf was the reviewer from this site thinking? This wasn't nearly as shaky a first issue as Archer and Armstrong, or, I don't know, over half the New 52's #1 issues. Seriously. The reviewer here is way off-base. I think people's ultra-high expectations might drive review scores a bit lower for this one, but this was a very solid first issue with some great art, and a good establishment for the story going forward. This wasn't a run-of-the-mill "chosen one" story like the CBR reviewer suggested. It was much closer to Robinson's Starman series, where the main character is going to find out that he is the latest in a very long-line of Shadowmen.

People, don't let this wonky review keep you from buying this book. It's a great start to the next era of Shadowman. Yes, the last bit of dialogue was over-the-top, and I said as much in my own review of this issue, but that final page does in no way diminish what was otherwise a great first issue.
    Didn't read the CBR review. I learned to stop doing that a long time ago. Don't worry, I'm sure every Marvel NOW book will get at least 4 stars.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

I really enjoyed this book and is so looking forward to the next issue, it was like the Phantom with a supernatural twist(pun intended).
    Since I don't like the new Spawn and Marvels not doing anything with Blade. Shadowman is my new favorite dark hero.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

In no way is this a two star book. Absolutely pathetic review, but this is coming from a site that will give Bendis a minimum of 4.5 stars every issue. Disgusting from this reviewer.

Quote Originally Posted by rasx View Post
    I really enjoyed this book and is so looking forward to the next issue, it was like the Phantom with a supernatural twist(pun intended).
    Since I don't like the new Spawn and Marvels not doing anything with Blade. Shadowman is my new favorite dark hero.
    Great assessment of the book. I never picked up on The Phantom's influence but you're right, it's a more supernatural book but it has that legacy theme.
    Like I said in my review, this book reminds me a lot of the recent arcs of Animal Man and Swamp Thing, but I'm certain that given Valiant's high-quality and Jordan & Zircher's creativity we're going to see this title go places in the next 14 issues whereas Swamp Thing and Animal Man seem to have just been spinning their wheels.

The CBR review is way off-base in its negative assessment. As Rafa said, it was an "absolutely pathetic review."
    X-O Manowar. Harbinger. Bloodshot. Archer & Armstrong. Swamp Thing. Dial H. Captain Marvel. Hit-Girl. Saga. Prophet. Read my reviews of these and more at The Comic Book Couple!

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Didn't read the CBR review. I learned to stop doing that a long time ago. Don't worry, I'm sure every Marvel NOW book will get at least 4 stars.
    *Barf*

So true.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel Supreme View Post
    *Barf*

So true.
    I mean there are times when they are well thought out and you don't agree with it. But in this instance it seems they glanced over it, heard from a friend or didn't read it all. Reviewer needs to do their due diligence because as sad as it may be people can be swayed in the wrong direction by this type of review.

Spot on issue! I posted some pictures with a review here.

I sure do love what Valiant is doing and honestly the other publishers might want to take some notes. Tip number 1: When you do a reboot, introduce only a few series at a time and let them build before introducing additional series. Tip number 2: Make sure the books are about the characters first, then plot. Tip number 3: Ensure the art is top notch when it comes to every page, panel and line.

In my top 3 comics of the week that's for sure.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

I liked the issue quite a bit. I liked the mood established and it's very different from the other books in the Valiant line. This isn't a bash on the book but it's probably number 4 on my Valiant like list currently. The Valiant books are just really good right now. I hope they keep us this level of quality when Eternal Warrior and Rai get here.

I liked it, but it didn't have the same immediate effect on me as some of the other titles had. Which is fine, I'm definitely going to be following along.

Honestly, "Masters"-era Shadowman is extremely difficult for me to enjoy. I mean, so much of Valiant is 90s up the wazoo, but for some reason, that was the only title where it really became a sticking point in my enjoyment. So, while I don't have too many expectations for where this is going, I'm certainly along for the ride.

Nothing was more 90s than Bloodshot and they've actually redeemed him greatly as a character thus far.

I've actually not read the earlier Bloodshot because I've been enjoying the new spin so far. But Harbinger is pretty damning of the 90s, to say the least!

Great issue story and art!

I would give it 4.5 of 5, totally excited to see where this goes. The black cover is gorgeous, I got one in really nice shape.

2 stars out of 5 ...that's nuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog1981 View Post
    I liked the issue quite a bit. I liked the mood established and it's very different from the other books in the Valiant line. This isn't a bash on the book but it's probably number 4 on my Valiant like list currently. The Valiant books are just really good right now. I hope they keep us this level of quality when Eternal Warrior and Rai get here.
    I don't know where I would rank this so far (it is only the first issue after all). Harbinger is my favorite series thus far, while A&A had my favorite first issue. XO was my least favorite of the four after the first arc, but has really picked up with the Ninjak arc. I guess I would say:

1: Harbinger
    2: A&A
    3: XO
    4: Bloodshot & Shadowman (tie)

I suppose that may be a reflection on me as an Old School VALIANT fan since BS and Shadowman are the most drastic departures from the original. However, I think they were the two most in need of reinvention and I really like the new direction for both.