Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Storm Dogs, #1

David Hine and Doug Braithwaite's "Storm Dogs" #1 is a worthy addition to Image's growing library of sci-fi series, successfully merging the genre with crime fiction, and providing a solid visual experience.

Full review here.

I really liked this. It surpassed my expectations (which were already pretty high!) and I'm looking forward to the next issue! It did a good job introducing the characters and building the world all within the space of an issue.
    Peter Parker is my lord and saviour.
    Show Teddy some love!
    "I want Apex to feast on Reptil like a pregnant khaleesi." - Sanji
    MY ART

Quote Originally Posted by LooneyKoala View Post
    I really liked this. It surpassed my expectations (which were already pretty high!) and I'm looking forward to the next issue! It did a good job introducing the characters and building the world all within the space of an issue.
    nice. For some reason i am really looking forward to this after the preview thread
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

That was a damn good solid issue! Already a nice set of characters and a lot of fun ideas. I can't wait for next issue, the aliens/natives that show up at the end look fantastic. Art was gorgeous and top notch. Can't wait to see where this goes.

And who doesn't love a nice cast of diversity?
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

this was loveeeeeeeely. Braithwaite's art is PHENOMENAL

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

This comic was as good as the preview had me hoping. This initial comic was a lot of world setting and character introduction but the story threw out a lot of issues right away to give intrigue and solid sci fi interest. I hope the comic keeps up the tempo from this strong start.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

Fantastci start....but dat art is SUPREME.

Looks interesting; somehow this didn't register at all on my radar, I guess its a mini?
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Looks interesting; somehow this didn't register at all on my radar, I guess its a mini?
    6 issues I believe. But it sounds like there are plans to do more "seasons" of it in the future, allowing time to keep a high quality of work.
    Peter Parker is my lord and saviour.
    Show Teddy some love!
    "I want Apex to feast on Reptil like a pregnant khaleesi." - Sanji
    MY ART

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

I rather liked their Brave & The Bold arc from a few years back. I'll keep an eye out.

I tried the first issue only because Dough Braitwaite art, im a fan of his work in Punisher. It was a good first issue and good SF mystery type story.

Im glad to support this and see where it goes story-wise.

I thought the only weakness was the coloring, was a bit uneven.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Best Image comic bar none!! Love child of Ridley Scott and James Cameron (and one of those guys had some Sergio Leone genes in them too).

Rock solid issue. All the standard cliches are in full effect - the isolated mining community, the tensions between the investigators and the miners, the investigator with the personal problem (the guy who split up with his b/f) who could add a random element in the future etc etc but all handled in an extremely polished and engaging fashion. Expecting this to go off into more unusual territory - ecological murder mystery or something after this issue. Beautiful art too that really immerses you in the story and the sketch and scripting pages at the back were really interesting. Classy 70s style sci-fi.
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

This book was really good. I decided to pick it up as i am trying to expand my vision beyond all the marvel books I read and i was pleasantly suprised by this book. Very well written and drawn

Quote Originally Posted by dr chimp View Post
    Rock solid issue. All the standard cliches are in full effect - the isolated mining community, the tensions between the investigators and the miners, the investigator with the personal problem (the guy who split up with his b/f) who could add a random element in the future etc etc but all handled in an extremely polished and engaging fashion. Expecting this to go off into more unusual territory - ecological murder mystery or something after this issue. Beautiful art too that really immerses you in the story and the sketch and scripting pages at the back were really interesting. Classy 70s style sci-fi.
    Yeah it gave me good feel of Alien like old school SF films. I hope the other issues dont let out.

I also respect the creators for having people of color,transsexual,homosexual without making a big deal out of it.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk