Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Puerto Rico

I only have 1 puerto rican friend, and he just told me if they become a state and they keep getting lumped in with the mexicans, they are going to be pissed.
    Then i made some sort of offensive comment and he punched me in the side of my head, it kinda stings because he hit my ear.
    Now he is punching me in the arm as i type this.
    DO NOT LET THEM BECOME A STATE, THEY ARE A VIOLENT PEOPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I only have 1 puerto rican friend, and he just told me if they become a state and they keep getting lumped in with the mexicans, they are going to be pissed.
    Then i made some sort of offensive comment and he punched me in the side of my head, it kinda stings because he hit my ear.
    Now he is punching me in the arm as i type this.
    DO NOT LET THEM BECOME A STATE, THEY ARE A VIOLENT PEOPLE!!!
    Can we lump them in with the Cubans? Wait I am ahead of myself, Can they make a good cigar?

As for statehood I agree with Obama and it should be Puerto Rico's call and we should legislate their decision. Even if it means a compromise 52nd conservative state is added to mix to balance out the Senate. Maybe Michigan's Upper Peninsula or part of Texas.
    I'm not liberal, liberals have beliefs. I'm a democrat, the only belief I have is that republicans are wrong.

Let's free the market, so it can enslave us all

Myspace

Uh, the Missouri Compromise hasn't been effective for over a hundred and fifty years.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by o1pickleboy View Post
    Can we lump them in with the Cubans? Wait I am ahead of myself, Can they make a good cigar?

As for statehood I agree with Obama and it should be Puerto Rico's call and we should legislate their decision. Even if it means a compromise 52nd conservative state is added to mix to balance out the Senate. Maybe Michigan's Upper Peninsula or part of Texas.
    He left the room, i don't think he would like to be compared to cuban's either.
    He seems a proud sort, he is also built like a goddamn pro wrestler and sucks at street fighter 4.

They'll have to be careful carving up Texas. Nate Silver had a projection for carving up Texas that would wind up with a blue state, two red states and two toss-ups. If they just carve a bit out of Texas - unless it's a very small population - it could swing the rest of the state into toss-up territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Uh, the Missouri Compromise hasn't been effective for over a hundred and fifty years.
    Bringing it back!
    Still trying to bring back Fucking A! as a used term.

He left the room, i don't think he would like to be compared to cuban's either.
    He seems a proud sort, he is also built like a goddamn pro wrestler and sucks at street fighter 4.
    Who cares about that. Can they made a good Cigar?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Soapdish View Post
    They'll have to be careful carving up Texas. Nate Silver had a projection for carving up Texas that would wind up with a blue state, two red states and two toss-ups. If they just carve a bit out of Texas - unless it's a very small population - it could swing the rest of the state into toss-up territory.
    They are gerrymandering experts they will find a way.
    I'm not liberal, liberals have beliefs. I'm a democrat, the only belief I have is that republicans are wrong.

Myspace

and that had to do with Slavery. I am talking about a way to get Republicans to on board to granting Puerto Rico's wishes. When they could be against it because of the strong possibility of it giving the Democrats 2 more senators.

Throughout our history many states got their statehood delayed because it was perceived they would be a gain for the opposition party.(many during Andrew Johnson and a few during Cleveland)

Myspace

and that had to do with Slavery. I am talking about a way to get Republicans to on board to granting Puerto Rico's wishes. When they could be against it because of the strong possibility of it giving the Democrats 2 more senators.

Throughout our history many states got their statehood delayed because it was perceived they would be a gain for the opposition party.(many during Andrew Johnson and a few during Cleveland)
    But the indicators suggest the republicans support statehood for them anyway.

Republicans are already on board. It's part of their platform. Romney was in agreement with Obama on the referendum.

Peurto Rico isn't defacto liberal. I would guess based on what I know of its culture, it's more conservative. The Republican Party is alive and well in Puerto Rico.

But the indicators suggest the republicans support statehood for them anyway.
    But Obama supported it now they have to be against it

Myspace

Again, that was during the 19th Century.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Again, that was during the 19th Century.
    and have politics have changed much since then?

Myspace

and have politics have changed much since then?
    If the red states secede, then no.

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    If the red states secede, then no.
    From what I have seen in my lifetime is parties and politicians putting themselves first before the wishes of the people. I can see despite what the platform says Republican concerned over the democrats gaining something and blocking it. They did it over economy, over many social reforms, I highly doubt Puerto Rico will be any different.

Myspace