Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

Default Age of Apocalypse #9 Summary and Review

Our story opens with Keeper Matt Murdock watching over the city. Like they told us at the start of the series "once the keeper's heard your heartbeat, he never forgets it". Matt recognises Franny's heartbeat and reports to Minister Cyclops. Azazel asks if they should tell the Overlord, but Cyclops tells him he'll handle it himself in order to spare Azazel the humiliation of reminding the Overlord that he had Jean in his grasp and let her slip away. Cyclops tells Azazel to go bang some Hellfire Club wench while he handles the messy work.

Meanwhile, Doctor Moreau confirms that the device they got from Doom can contain the Apocalypse Force (quite easily apparently). Moreau tells him he should have brought Doom's body or brain so that they could extract the information required to build Doom's Omega-killing weapon. Prophet lies to Moreau and tells him that Doom's remains were lost in the explosion of Castle Von Doom. Trask asks Prophet what he's really doing with Doom's brain and we get our answer as Prophet drops in on Penance.

Penance is making the walk of shame to her church with quite the scar on her face (which Sugarman says will heal) Sugarman making some lovely comments about Monet's activities (I guess Weapon Omega likes the rough stuff). Prophet shows up and offers her Doom's brain which contains the secrets of a weapon that will separate the Apocalypse Force from him. Prophet wants Penance's gang to build the weapon, in exchange for which Prophet's crew will eliminate Weapon Omega without involving her, ensuring her safety should they fail.

Meanwhile, Jean is getting ready for a night on the town with Graydon. She's getting a bit more dolled up than one would expect for a date she sold Graydon in exchange for father-son time (something which Graydon remarks on later). Graydon is looking like quite the handsome devil himself and impresses Jean with some surprise piano playing skills at the restaurant. After the date, Graydon gets a kiss goodnight and a promise of more dates. Jean wants him to keep seing his father however which pisses Graydon off and prompts him to accuse her and his dad of being lovers before he storms off.

Jean and Franny have some girl-talk and Jean tells her that she really does like Graydon and thinks there's hope for him. Their chat is interrupted by the arrival of Minister Cyclops and his squad. Franny makes Jean promise to leave her behind if need be. They escape into the sewers, only to be greeting by the waiting arms of Emplate. Franny throws a bomb and tells Jean to run. Jean survives the explosion which knocks Emplate out (Franny's fate is unknown, although we see at least parts of her lying next to Emplate).

Prophet finds out Jean is being hunted and visits Sabretooth to get his help, which Sabretooth readily offers. Omega calls Cyclops off, telling him that its his responsibility to hunt down his wife and that if she can't be cured of her humanity, he'll have to kill her.

Another amazing issue. There are no flaws to the issue whatsoever. With the first year of AoA coming to an end, it seems the Weapon Omega story is drawing to a close (or at the very least, a different phase). The issue was varied and interesting, giving us satisfactory looks at the political intrigue brewing in Omega's empire, the workings of his Ministers, the workings of the Human Resistance, action, and the interpersonal relationships on both sides. The art was amazing as usual, Roberto De La Torre does a fantastic job depicting the bleak, post-apocalyptic Age of Apocalypse, while also giving it life and emotion. The characters themselves look great, especially Cyclops who looks resolved and deadly, and Penance who in contrast with her first appearance looks a bit more sullen and worn.

The issue left nothing more to be desired, and the next issue is set up very well with the proper return of Sabretooth and Weapon Omega's vow to find Jean by himself.

10/10
    Last edited by Juggernaut Punch; 11-07-2012 at 09:17 AM.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

LOL, I love this Jean.

I just picked this up on Comixology. Got all my regular comics at a shop but they didn't have this one. I finally get what people have been complaining about.

As always another great issue. I'm liking where things are heading with Jean. I'm really loving what Lapham has been doing with the character.
    http://blanchett.t15.org
    Please pledge only 5 days left for Kirsten Vangness' hilarious Kill Me Deadly movie!http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lm-noir-comedy

I like Graydon and Jean now.

Another great issue for this incredible series. Really happy for David Lapham continuing with the Age of Apocalypse world the next year.

Is this book really that good? I may have to jump on this afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by infernohara View Post
    It's awesome!

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

Yup. The art is amazing, the story is fascinating and compelling, the characters are extremely well designed and the characterisations are great.

Well I usually go by the thread count on books I'm shaky on and it seems that it doesn't have many fans. The book is still going so maybe going by a thread count here isn't the best course of action, I also like Jean and I did look at that one cover with her and those massive guns she had. Is it better to wait till next arc or is this something you have to read from the beginning?

It was a good issue, I'm glad I stuck with this series.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

I cannot wait to get this issue next week. This sounds wicked.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

Yes, it has really grown on me. I've gotten to the point I like AoA Jean more than the original *ducks thrown objects*.

I guess it's not much surprise that it has low sales, considering the writer has taken basically all unknown characters, save Jean, Victor and Weapon Omega (who isn't shown much), in an AU and reversed the traditional mutant/human conflict. It was a daring move. I mean, just having one of these factors is a threat to sales, but he has all three.

The characterization and stories are really solid, though. The art is dark and gritty and goes with the setting. It will be a shame if the title doesn't make it.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    Yes, it has really grown on me. I've gotten to the point I like AoA Jean more than the original *ducks thrown objects*.

I guess it's not much surprise that it has low sales, considering the writer has taken basically all unknown characters, save Jean, Victor and Weapon Omega (who isn't shown much), in an AU and reversed the traditional mutant/human conflict. It was a daring move. I mean, just having one of these factors is a threat to sales, but he has all three.

The characterization and stories are really solid, though. The art is dark and gritty and goes with the setting. It will be a shame if the title doesn't make it.
    AoA Jean is...
    1: Not tethered to Scott.
    2: Has more bollocks and spine than the original ever had...period.
    3: Not Wolverine's wet dream.
    4: Is actually relevant.
    5: Is Alive and kicking arse.
    6: Not a teenager from the '60's.
    7: Free of the cosmic chicken.

Wot's not to like?

AoA has low sales because the majority of x-fans/comic book fans are not true readers and as such prefer fluffy drivel that does not force them to think too much or too deep.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

Quote Originally Posted by Imraith Nimphais View Post
    AoA Jean is...
    1: Not tethered to Scott.
    2: Has more bollocks and spine than the original ever had...period.
    3: Not Wolverine's wet dream.
    4: Is actually relevant.
    5: Is Alive and kicking arse.
    6: Not a teenager from the '60's.
    7: Free of the cosmic chicken.

Wot's not to like?

AoA has low sales because the majority of x-fans/comic book fans are not true readers and as such prefer fluffy drivel that does not force them to think too much or too deep.

OUCH!!! TBF, there is a bit of a moral dilemma going on in the canon books.

So you guys are saying I should be reading this?
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.