Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Whiz Kids Vs. Witchcraft! tangentman's Avatar

Agreed on Night Stalker, Reaper, Pushing Daisies, Firefly, Freaks & Geeks, Carnivale, and I'll add Veronica Mars!

Shows that went on too long:

Let me add Charmed, Friends, and ER.
    Who needs CoTM when you can have a Skullie?

I am Tangent Man! I do not care!

I think that the new Sitcom the Neighbors has already overstayed its welcome. I am watching it since my wife seems to like it but if we ever look at each other as if to say "are you done with this" then it is gone as far as we are concerned.

One of Archard's Agents Amacent's Avatar

Ended Too Soon:
    - Arrested Development - Thankfully it's coming back.
    - Better Off Ted - One of my favorite comedies that was cut down way too soon. Still pissed off that there's no DVD set collecting the final (second) season.
    - Firefly
    - Pushing Daisies
    - Spaced

Overstayed Their Welcome:
    - Dexter - Lost interest during the sixth season. Should have ended after the fantastic fourth season.
    - Lost
    - Mad Men - Still enjoying this series but I feel seven seasons is pushing it somewhat.

All of Better Off Ted is available on Netflix Watch Instant
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by idlewildered View Post
    To be fair, a ten million budget for The Terminator, at that time, wasn't a small budget by any stretch of the imagination...........
    Well, The Terminator cost less than ten million, (it was $6 million) and even at that time it was a low budget movie; other movies that came out the same year as The Terminator were: Splash ($8 million), Footloose ($8.2 million), Firestarter ($13 million), Beverly Hills Cop ($15 million), The Last Starfighter ($15 million), Star Trek III: The Search for Spock ($16 million), The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension ($17 million), Starman ($24 million), The NeverEnding Story ($27 million), Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom ($28.17 million), 2010: The Year We Make Contact ($28 million), Ghostbusters ($30 million), Once Upon a Time in America ($30 million), Dune ($40 million), The Cotton Club ($58 million).

That movie Moon that came out a few years ago cost just five million to make, and that looked like a professional, well made sci-fi movie with great looking sets and and nice effects. Farscape also looked a lot better than Firefly, and I'm pretty sure that show cost less to made than Firefly...it also seemed like a more special effects intensive show.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    You are just a Whedon Hater, so your opinion doesn't carry much weight with me any longer. Most people consider Firefly to be one of the best, if not the best science fiction space drama of all time. The thing is, some people just don't get it. And that's ok. But 98.623% of people who watched it think it should have run several more seasons. It should still be on the air in fact. Fox just severely blew it when they cancelled it.

But then, if they hadn't, we might not have gotten a Whedon avengers... so... what can you do? Just be glad for what you got, I guess.
    I don't dislike Whedon just because, I don't like his stuff because for the most part it's not very good.

What's to get? It's a western in space, that shit isn't new. It a space western that doesn't do the space or western part particularly well, and the whole things looked really bad.

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Too soon:
    Deadwood.
    Arrested Development.

Too late:
    The Simpsons
    That's 70's Show
    House (season 5 should have been the end, 6.01 and 6.02 a movie)
    24- That said, the last 12 episodes or so were amazing, in no small part because the writers didn't had to be inventing new obstacles.
    Lost- Well, I think we'd all be happier if s06 had never happened.
    Friends
    CSI

All of those are network shows, and it's certainly not coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    I would've liked more Deadwood, but the last season does have a good ending.
    It's a great ending for the season, but not for the show. Some parts- like the actors-ended up feeling pointless because there was no season 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Amacent View Post

Overstayed Their Welcome:
    - Dexter - Lost interest during the sixth season. Should have ended after the fantastic fourth season.
    This is season is shaping to be the best yet. But I agree s05 and specially s06 weren't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Amacent View Post
    - Mad Men - Still enjoying this series but I feel seven seasons is pushing it somewhat.
    Die!
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

and while I did enjoy Firefly...I would have given it more 4/5 seasons max...plus Castle is a better fit for Nathan Fillion IMO...I know a lot of the hardcore Firefly fans hate Castle for its success
    Support your local roller derby league

Shows that ended too soon:

The Flash
    Witchblade
    Birds Of Prey
    Megas XLR
    Nightmare Cafe
    Death Valley (at least for now...)
    Farscape
    Enterprise

Overstayed:

Stargate SG1
    That 70's Show
    The Simpsons
    Smallville
    King Of The Hill
    Buffy

Quote Originally Posted by DrSkeleton View Post

The Flash
    Witchblade
    Birds Of Prey
    Megas XLR
    Nightmare Cafe
    Farscape
    Enterprise

Overstayed:

Stargate SG1
    That 70's Show
    The Simpsons
    Smallville
    King Of The Hill
    Buffy
    Birds of Prey was dreadful , it should never have been on in the first place.

As far as Buffy overstaying , looking at current show like Vampire diaries - Buffy at its worse is still better than the recycling vampire diaries season.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    I'd put Star Trek TNG well above Firefly any day of the week, even including the mediocre first two seasons. I'm not a Whedon hater, but I'm also on the boat that Firefly really wasn't that great of a series - at least not good enough to justify the borderline cult-ish fans it has. I think part of the reason it keeps getting brought up is because its the martyr for "shows that ended too soon". I kind of think that if Firefly didn't get axed after its first season and had a good 3 or 4 season run people wouldnt shout from the mountains about the show as much as they do now and it would probably be a show that only gets talked about in specific instances (like Farscape).

----

Shows that stayed around too long:
    That 70s Show
    Scrubs

I'm not willing to throw Simpsons onto that list yet, the show is still decently entertaining to me and it's still better than a good chunk of other comedies on TV.
    It's also the patron saint of: Fucked by Fox. Firefly fans act like the reason the show failed was because Fox didn't run ads for the show, I don't know, I clearly remember seeing a lot of commercials for it before it aired...and I wasn't even really watching much network tv at that time. They also like to bemoan the fact that The Train Job, an episode made to be shown first after the pilot was rejected, killed the whole series. They act like it doesn't introduce you to the characters, even though the opening bar scene (which looks horrible on even level) does a better job of doing that than the opening of the pilot episode...it even tells you all about the world these characters inhabit; and even if it didn't introduce you to the characters...so what? People jump into shows at random points all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSkeleton View Post

The Flash
    Witchblade
    Birds Of Prey
    Megas XLR
    Nightmare Cafe
    Farscape
    Enterprise

Overstayed:

Stargate SG1
    That 70's Show
    The Simpsons
    Smallville
    King Of The Hill
    Buffy
    Especially if the comic is any indication. Personally it should have stopped at Season 5
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

BloodTies with Christina Cox canceled too soon.

The Mentalist has to go!

What is BloodTies?

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    What is BloodTies?
    Well it's a show about a female private eye working with a vampire guy. You can google it.

I thought Reaper got cancelled too soon. Especially right when the main plot was heating up
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck