Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 358
  1. #181
    BANNED Phil Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Charles, Mo
    Posts
    5,114

    Default

    Episode 4 Mediocre? The movie that launched it all? The movie without which we wouldn't have most of the sci-fi that followed it? The movie that started the special effects revolution? It was lightning in a bottle. It was a once in a lifetime alignment of the stars to create an event. Star Wars was not just a movie, it was an event. The first big major out of nowhere blockbuster hit that all other movies strive to be. Every movie that has come since begs to be the phenomenon that Star Wars was.

    Mediocre you say? BULLS**T says I.

  2. #182
    Senior Member passer-by's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Posts
    3,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    We can add Last Resort now to the shows that ended too soon.
    I wouldn't. It dropped in quality and believability much too fast (then again it's a Shawn Ryan show, so no surprises there).

    Perhaps it should have been planned as a mini-series so the creative team would focus on a tight and high-quality story.

  3. #183
    Astral God Surtur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    26,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    Episode 4 Mediocre? The movie that launched it all? The movie without which we wouldn't have most of the sci-fi that followed it? The movie that started the special effects revolution? It was lightning in a bottle. It was a once in a lifetime alignment of the stars to create an event. Star Wars was not just a movie, it was an event. The first big major out of nowhere blockbuster hit that all other movies strive to be. Every movie that has come since begs to be the phenomenon that Star Wars was.

    Mediocre you say? BULLS**T says I.
    I still say mediocre. It launched the series, but the two followup movies were vastly superior. I suppose I might feel differently if I'd been alive when it came out and I'd seen it then and there, but I grew up when SW's was already popular and when the entire trilogy had already been released. A lot of people I know who were alive when it came out had their minds blown by the special effects, etc.
    Last edited by Surtur; 11-17-2012 at 08:33 AM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

  4. #184
    Observer Vibranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    19,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by passer-by View Post
    I wouldn't. It dropped in quality and believability much too fast (then again it's a Shawn Ryan show, so no surprises there).

    Perhaps it should have been planned as a mini-series so the creative team would focus on a tight and high-quality story.
    see I thought it was a mini series based on the premise...I just didn't see how something like that could last

    still ticked about Chicago Code getting the ax...such a good show...Jessica Beals...sooo hot
    Support your local roller derby league

  5. #185
    Professional Hedonist cybrestrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Shows that ended too soon:

    Avengers: EMH. A shame this was canceled. I thought it was perfect.

    Farscape. One of the best SyFy shows ever. Loved the characters, the special effects, the stories. And who was a better anti-villain than Scorpius? Very few.

    Firefly. This was given the Friday Night Death Slot and couldn't survive. I remember watching the trailers for this show, and thinking, "Oh, that looks pretty cool. Well, time to hit the clubs...I'm out." Put that show on any other night and it would've done well.

    Shows that have overstayed their welcome:

    Survivor. I think the show hit its peak during the Pearl Islands season. That, to me, was quintessential screwing over, great characters, backstabbing, etc. Plus it had one of the best episodes ever--the fall of Rupert. That was epic. Downhill and all that now.

    L&O: SVU. Hasn't been the same since Meloni left.
    Storm Wolverine Nightcrawler Colossus Shadowcat Rogue Phoenix Magneto
    Mirage Cannonball Karma Sunspot Wolfsbane Magma Magik Cypher Warlock
    Jubilee Synch M Husk Chamber Skin

  6. #186
    Veteran Member Simbob4000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Eh, I feel some people tend to romanticize the OT as sometimes being far greater then it is. Well, I think Ep's 5 and 6 are great, but I find Ep 4 to be mediocre at best. I also tend to find the beginning of ep 6 when they go to rescue Han to be quite boring and it's not until Luke goes back to Yoda that the movie picks up. I think when Clone Wars at its best it is leaps and bounds above Ep 4.
    Star Wars is the best one out of all the Star Wars movie.

  7. #187
    Astral God Surtur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    26,400

    Default

    The Silver Surfer cartoon was another that went too soon. I also wish the original Clone Wars cartoon had gone on longer.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

  8. #188
    2x Postmania Champion Gryphon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    26,014

    Default

    The big bang theory has long since overstayed its welcome. That is, after season 1 when it was funny.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

    My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

  9. #189
    Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    13,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    The big bang theory has long since overstayed its welcome. That is, after season 1 when it was funny.
    To each his own, because I think it's getting better with time.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

  10. #190
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    To each his own, because I think it's getting better with time.
    To me. It's the anti-Two and A Half Men. It gets better each season
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  11. #191
    Best In The World Legato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    84,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    The Silver Surfer cartoon was another that went too soon. I also wish the original Clone Wars cartoon had gone on longer.
    I wished the original Clone Wars had became a series instead.

    BTW is it safe to add Young Justice to the went too soon list?
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

  12. #192
    Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    I still say mediocre. It launched the series, but the two followup movies were vastly superior. I suppose I might feel differently if I'd been alive when it came out and I'd seen it then and there, but I grew up when SW's was already popular and when the entire trilogy had already been released. A lot of people I know who were alive when it came out had their minds blown by the special effects, etc.
    I agree. I don't think any of the SW episodes directed by Lucas are anything above mediocre at their best. The Empire Strikes Back is pretty good, though. I believe the fact that I only watched them when I was older and with a decent amount of cinematic knowledge probably has a lot to do with it.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

    I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!


    Donald M.

  13. #193
    Gallifrey endures. blackphoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,626

    Default

    Gone too soon:

    Point Pleasant

    V (ABC's rebooted version)

    The Tick (cartoon, not the live action abomination)

    Skins (US version)

    Overstayed their welcome:
    Buffy. Season 7 was just...blah. To make matters worse, they've created really horrid Season 8 & 9 comics.

    Gossip Girl. I know it's ending this season, but it should've ended two years ago.

    The Simpsons. Just go away already.

    Lost. The final season was...UGH. And that pseudo-spiritual ending set my teeth on edge.

    Smallville. Ten seasons was too much.

    Beauty and the Beast (CW version) I don't know how many episodes it's been on, but it's been too many.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    Lost in Space lasted too long IMO. It's first season was good strong SciFi. Then it changed format and went to color. The format change was to compete with Batman (really, look it up... they went camp to get the Batman viewers hooked). As soon as they went to goofy camp humor in place of solid SciFi, it went in the toilet. I wish someone would reboot the series today and do it all serious. No talking carrot people, no space wizards, no giant robot then shrinking back to normal size with Will and Doctor Smith caught inside. And if you must make Doctor Smith a coward, make it an act. He really is brave and smart, he just plays cowardly to keep the family from discovering that he is responsible for their being lost.
    I would love to see a Lost In Space reboot, as long as it wasn't anything like that fail of a movie with that dude from Friends and Heather Graham.
    Thus do I write the first chapter of my new scripture. And the first verse is "Let it all burn."

    PHOENIX INVICTUS!

  14. #194
    Veteran Member Simbob4000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I wished the original Clone Wars had became a series instead.

    BTW is it safe to add Young Justice to the went too soon list?

    What's the story behind that? Why did they go with the shitty looking CGI one with Genndy Tartakovsky style, and drop Genndy Tartakovsky.

  15. #195
    Senior Member Castel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Eh, I feel some people tend to romanticize the OT as sometimes being far greater then it is. Well, I think Ep's 5 and 6 are great, but I find Ep 4 to be mediocre at best.
    As a kid i remember i found most of the episode 4 to be quite boring. Until of course the battle of Yavin which really blew my mind the first time i watched it.

    But come on, "mediocre at best" is too harsh a judgment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •