Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Default TV Shows that End too Soon, TV Shows that overstatyed their Welcome?

A show that seemed to have become popular over time and has been influencial was Kolchak: The Night Stalker. It's strange that it ended so soon because it was a damn great show and they had great ratings. I learned recently that they had a problems with star McGavin and also the shows were too expensive + other problems so they ended it.

The X-Files for a long time it was my favorite show but after their 1998 movie when they revealed pretty much the whole thing, the tv show never recovered and not too long after David Duchcovy decided to only stay as a part-time character and it was never the same since he was the soul of the X-Files. Casting two new leads was a mistake, having super-soldiers was ever worse. It went nowhere fast.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Simpsons...on way damn too long. Someone end it please!

Deadwood ended to soon. Yeah, the Simpsons have been on to long.
    Everything burns...

There are enough funny Simpsons episodes to still justify its existence. It's also still better than most comedies on network tv.

Smallville had about 40 episodes worth of decent material stretched out across 200+ episodes. I remember watching season 5 as it aired and feeling like they were winding towards a conclusion; turns out it was only the halfway point.

Supernatural is starting to feel that way too, unfortunately. The entire series built up towards the epic (and excellent) season 5 finale, yet it's still going. Admittedly, I enjoyed large portions of season 6, particularly how they dealt with the ramifications of season 5. It consisted of lots and lots of fun but usually poorly developed ideas, which gave the season a rather chaotic feel. Season 7, on the other hand, was just boring, and I've completely lost interest in the show at this point. We'll see if it hits the big 10.

That 70's Show went on about 3 seasons too long. The series should have ended after high school and everyone goes off to college. Aside from the fact that the later seasons weren't nearly as funny as before, they did a lot narrative juggling to justify pretty much every element of the show. The final season also unraveled pretty much every bit of character development from the previous 7 years.

Scrubs
    obviously didn't need to stick around for the extra year, but Bill Lawrence had noble intentions so I'll give it a pass (He really pushed for an actual spinoff, which season 9 essentially is, and a big part of doing it at all was to ensure job security for a huge cast and crew during the recession). Season 8 already works as the perfect finale anyway.
    Picture Maker // website // tumblr

Most of you probably won't know these but if you get the chance check them out

Cybersix the animated series- only got 13 episodes but was one of the best cartoons I've seen superhero wise since Batman the animated series

Undergrads- One season when it deserved 4 it's about college and was funny as hell but MTV replaced it with bullshit reality shows

Both ended on a cliffhanger-ain't it a bitch when that happens

Quote Originally Posted by Tar22 View Post
    Smallville had about 40 episodes worth of decent material stretched out across 200+ episodes. I remember watching season 5 as it aired and feeling like they were winding towards a conclusion; turns out it was only the halfway point.

Supernatural is starting to feel that way too, unfortunately. The entire series built up towards the epic (and excellent) season 5 finale, yet it's still going. Admittedly, I enjoyed large portions of season 6, particularly how they dealt with the ramifications of season 5. It consisted of lots and lots of fun but usually poorly developed ideas, which gave the season a rather chaotic feel. Season 7, on the other hand, was just boring, and I've completely lost interest in the show at this point. We'll see if it hits the big 10.

That 70's Show went on about 3 seasons too long. The series should have ended after high school and everyone goes off to college. Aside from the fact that the later seasons weren't nearly as funny as before, they did a lot narrative juggling to justify pretty much every element of the show. The final season also unraveled pretty much every bit of character development from the previous 7 years.

Scrubs
    obviously didn't need to stick around for the extra year, but Bill Lawrence had noble intentions so I'll give it a pass (He really pushed for an actual spinoff, which season 9 essentially is, and a big part of doing it at all was to ensure job security for a huge cast and crew during the recession). Season 8 already works as the perfect finale anyway.
    If anything all the stuff with the angels in Supernatural was dragged out far to long.

Shows that went away too soon.

Freaks and Geeks
    Undeclared
    Pushing Daisies
    Carnivāle
    Mr. Show with Bob and David
    Wonder Showzen
    Deadwood
    Sifl and Olly
    Mission Hill
    Last edited by Simbob4000; 11-06-2012 at 10:21 PM.

The one show to me that has overstayed it's welcome.

The Simpsons
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Elder Member

I've long felt like most TV shows (particularly sitcoms) that last more than 5 years are overstaying their welcome.

Sports Night is a show that came and went too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    The one show to me that has overstayed it's welcome.

The Simpsons
    When do you think it should have ended?

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    When do you think it should have ended?
    IMHO the movie should have been their finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    IMHO the movie should have been their finale.

The movie sucked, as it is that would have been a pretty bad finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    The movie sucked, as it is that would have been a pretty bad finale.
    I thought the Quantum Leap finale was bad, Sam should have went home, yet just goes to show you cant please everyone.

Lost. Jesus that was vile rubbish.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Lost. Jesus that was vile rubbish.
    After hearing about the ending my first thought was"Man I'm glad I never followed the show"