Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blind pugh View Post
    All too rare to find someone who can recognise Starfox's potential. I'd love to see him get another Avengers run where he can be given the opportunity to really shine.
    IMHO, Starfox is the greatest underachiever of the MU. He's the son of a Prime Eternal and the brother of Thanos, one of the greatest menances in the whole universe. He should be, at the very least, class 50 in the strength department (if I'm not mistaken, he's class 20). Even his psionic powers probably have much more to them than just make people "feel good" (I mean, if he can induce pleasure and euphoria, can't he also induce pain? Or maybe manipulate the emotions of other people in a broader scale, such as inducing anger, sadness, doubt, etc..?) His potential is far greater than writers show it to be. I wish something would happen as a wake up call for him to really be all that he can be.

Peace

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Why wouldn't I want to call in the guy who can fly and is superstrong, who is the son of Mentor, ruler of a race of Eternals on Titan, whose technology is light-years ahead of Mr. futurist's and who is the bother of freaking Thanos?
    I'd call him ahead of Echo, Silver Claw, Two-Gun Kid and maybe even of freaking Luke Cage (what can he do, that half a dozen of other Avengers can't do better?), not to mention many others. Potentially, Eros can be a great character. Simply nobody has ever taken the time to develop him into such. "Cosmic pervert" is more fun.

Peace
    Still, it's strange that HE gets no flack for being an Avenger, while people with USEFUL and varied powers like Spider-Man, Echo, Silver-Claw and Luke Cage (who has proven that not only is he strong and durable, but a capable leader) are devalued because they don't fit the "philosophy" of what an Avenger "should" be. In addition, I'd say that just because Starfox has connections to more powerful beings, that shouldn't qualify him to be an Avenger alone. I'd rather they recruit Mentor, rather than the guy who knows Mentor.

Still not sure how "Cosmic Pervert" somehow fits the mold better than self-sacrificing heroes who've taken on beings far stronger then they are and have walked away victors.

Quote Originally Posted by RDMacQ View Post
    Still, it's strange that HE gets no flack for being an Avenger, while people with USEFUL and varied powers like Spider-Man, Echo, Silver-Claw and Luke Cage (who has proven that not only is he strong and durable, but a capable leader) are devalued because they don't fit the "philosophy" of what an Avenger "should" be. In addition, I'd say that just because Starfox has connections to more powerful beings, that shouldn't qualify him to be an Avenger alone. I'd rather they recruit Mentor, rather than the guy who knows Mentor.

Still not sure how "Cosmic Pervert" somehow fits the mold better than self-sacrificing heroes who've taken on beings far stronger then they are and have walked away victors.
    Oh, guess I wasn't clear on the sarcasm of my "Cosmic Pervert is more fun" comment. I actually hate that this was the way they chose to develop Eros, a charcater that, IMHO, has potential to be so much more, have so many stories told about and around him.
    What makes Starfox a potentially useful member to the Avengers are not his connections to more powerful beings, but the genetics that link him to them. You don't expect the son a highfather such as Odin to be a wimp, do you? And who is Hercules daddy? (That sounded dirtier then I intended.) What about his brothers?
    And, are you serious when you say that Starfox gets NO flack for being an Avenger????
    Well, I can only speak for myself, but as for the list you mentioned:
    I never said anything about Spider-Man. I have nothing per say against his membership, and will always defend that he is one of the heroes who most deserve it. However, personally, I do think that being a member of Earth's Mightiest Heroes goes against the hard-luck hero spirit of his adventures and, also, I'd rather have him as an occasional ally than as a full time member. I find him more intresting as a solo hero.
    Echo is supposed to be a sort of deaf, female Taskmaster, if I'm not mistaken, but she really never showed much when she was a member of the team, nothing that Black Widow or Mantis, or Mockingbird couldn't have done better, and they do bring more to the team.
    Silver Claw is, IMHO, too young and inexperienced to be an Avenger. I prefer the Avengers to be well-trained, experienced adults. Don't like kids on the team. (Never warmed up to Justice or Firestar either, even though I LOVED them in New Warriors.)
    Have nothing against Luke Cage, Power Man, Hero for Hire, just don't like the Bendis Duke Chain version of him that we've been stuck with for the last decade. Cage is strong, resistant and an able fighter (we'll have to agree to disagree on the capable leader part). But, in a team of over 50 members how many do we have that can do all he can do and more? If given the choice between the Thing and Cage, why wouldn't I go with Ben, when he's actually stronger. Or Wonder Man, who aside from being stronger can also fly? Sure, many Avengers mimic others powers, but sometimes ofer something else to the team. Cage is a pure brick, and the only uniqueness he brings to it is the smaller scale of his world and adventures. Honestly, there are characters that work better outside of a team setting, or in a team setting with a different scale than the Avengers. I believe Cage is one of those. Which doesn't mean that he can't be intresting occasionally interacting with the team or sharing a few adventures with them. However, when going up against the end of the world, pleanty of others would show up on my list first, including Starfox.

Peace

Oh, guess I wasn't clear on the sarcasm of my "Cosmic Pervert is more fun" comment. I actually hate that this was the way they chose to develop Eros, a charcater that, IMHO, has potential to be so much more, have so many stories told about and around him.
    What makes Starfox a potentially useful member to the Avengers are not his connections to more powerful beings, but the genetics that link him to them. You don't expect the son a highfather such as Odin to be a wimp, do you? And who is Hercules daddy? (That sounded dirtier then I intended.) What about his brothers?
    And, are you serious when you say that Starfox gets NO flack for being an Avenger????
    I never said anything about Spider-Man. I have nothing per say against his membership, and will always defend that he is one of the heroes who most deserve it. However, personally, I do think that being a member of Earth's Mightiest Heroes goes against the hard-luck hero spirit of his adventures and, also, I'd rather have him as an occasional ally than as a full time member. I find him more intresting as a solo hero.
    Echo is supposed to be a sort of deaf, female Taskmaster, if I'm not mistaken, but she really never showed much when she was a member of the team, nothing that Black Widow or Mantis, or Mockingbird couldn't have done better, and they do bring more to the team.
    Silver Claw is, IMHO, too young and inexperienced to be an Avenger. I prefer the Avengers to be well-trained, experienced adults. Don't like kids on the team. (Never warmed up to Justice or Firestar either, even though I LOVED them in New Warriors.)
    Have nothing against Luke Cage, Power Man, Hero for Hire, just don't like the Bendis Duke Chain version of him that we've been stuck with for the last decade. Cage is strong, resistant and an able fighter (we'll have to agree to disagree on the capable leader part). But, in a team of over 50 members how many do we have that can do all he can do and more? If given the choice between the Thing and Cage, why wouldn't I go with Ben, when he's actually stronger. Or Wonder Man, who aside from being stronger can also fly? Sure, many Avengers mimic others powers, but sometimes ofer something else to the team. Cage is a pure brick, and the only uniqueness he brings to it is the smaller scale of his world and adventures. Honestly, there are characters that work better outside of a team setting, or in a team setting with a different scale than the Avengers. I believe Cage is one of those. Which doesn't mean that he can't be intresting occasionally interacting with the team or sharing a few adventures with them. However, when going up against the end of the world, pleanty of others would show up on my list first, including Starfox.

Peace
    Honestly there are plenty of Avengers I'd rather have going up against the end of the world than Hawkeye if you were to look at the situation on paper... but I don't think that's a good enough reason not to have him on the Avengers. There are plenty of Avengers less powerful than Cage to be honest. I sometimes think people take that "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" tag line a bit too literally.

Quote Originally Posted by RDMacQ View Post

I don't even think he is a pervert.

Eros just wants to party his way thru the galaxy.

The guy is just as much into adventuring as he is partying. He sticks with the Avengers because of the adventure potential and they have members like She Hulk and Tigra running around.

His world view makes more sense to me than Thor's.

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Honestly there are plenty of Avengers I'd rather have going up against the end of the world than Hawkeye if you were to look at the situation on paper... but I don't think that's a good enough reason not to have him on the Avengers. There are plenty of Avengers less powerful than Cage to be honest. I sometimes think people take that "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" tag line a bit too literally.
    If not being one of Earth's Mightiest Heroes is enough to disqualify you, you can take half of the movie team from the start.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

We don’t get to see all the steps involved in actually becoming an Avenger anymore.

In the past, any active member could nominate an applicant for membership(as long as they were 18 or over). Iron Man nominated Hawkeye, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Hawkeye (paying it forward) nominated Justice and Firestar. Captain America nominated Quasar. Wasp nominated She Hulk.

The nominee has to get voted on by the majority of the active membership to get in.

Even after that, they are only a probationary member pending various U.S. Government background checks and what not. The probationer is on the active roster but without security clearance. It’s possible to wash out of probation. Rage did (he stole a Quinjet to help out the New Warriors).

If the member is appointed to serve on the Avengers by the U.S. Government, they go straight in without a majority vote or a probationary period (like U.S. Agent in the West Coast Avengers). If you are one of Cap’s buddies you probably aren’t gonna have to do probation either (see Quasar, D-Man).

Red Hulk did work for SHIELD/Gov’t before joining the Avengers, so he has a somewhat plausible in.

I’d guess that the original Young Avengers all became probationary members at the end of Children’s Crusade.

The graduating class of Avengers Academy, are most likely a level below that.

IMHO, Starfox is the greatest underachiever of the MU. He's the son of a Prime Eternal and the brother of Thanos, one of the greatest menances in the whole universe. He should be, at the very least, class 50 in the strength department (if I'm not mistaken, he's class 20). Even his psionic powers probably have much more to them than just make people "feel good" (I mean, if he can induce pleasure and euphoria, can't he also induce pain? Or maybe manipulate the emotions of other people in a broader scale, such as inducing anger, sadness, doubt, etc..?) His potential is far greater than writers show it to be. I wish something would happen as a wake up call for him to really be all that he can be.

Peace
    I foolishly hoped that the aftermath of the trial in She-Hulk would be that he'd start to take things seriously, set out to clear his name & do something positive. Hunting down the remaining Thanos clones or trying to take up the slack left in the Universe by captain Marvel's death as Phylla wasn't really doing much with the title at the time. But instead he disappeared back into limbo leaving people who'd never encountered him before with a horrific impression that hasn't yet been set right.

It's a pet peeve of mine.

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    We don’t get to see all the steps involved in actually becoming an Avenger anymore.

In the past, any active member could nominate an applicant for membership(as long as they were 18 or over). Iron Man nominated Hawkeye, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Hawkeye (paying it forward) nominated Justice and Firestar. Captain America nominated Quasar. Wasp nominated She Hulk.

The nominee has to get voted on by the majority of the active membership to get in.

Even after that, they are only a probationary member pending various U.S. Government background checks and what not. The probationer is on the active roster but without security clearance. It’s possible to wash out of probation. Rage did (he stole a Quinjet to help out the New Warriors).

If the member is appointed to serve on the Avengers by the U.S. Government, they go straight in without a majority vote or a probationary period (like U.S. Agent in the West Coast Avengers). If you are one of Cap’s buddies you probably aren’t gonna have to do probation either (see Quasar, D-Man).

Red Hulk did work for SHIELD/Gov’t before joining the Avengers, so he has a somewhat plausible in.

I’d guess that the original Young Avengers all became probationary members at the end of Children’s Crusade.

That was all back when they used a charter and had rules. I think that the writers today just can't handle the complications and sophistication needed for that sort story. They like things simple.

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

After coming back from death, Cap has been phoning it in. People were pestering him to get into the Avengers so it went like this :

Ms. Marvel : Hey Cap, you know Noh-Varr, that alien guy that tried to take over the Earth, took over the Cube and served on Osborne's Avengers?

Cap : Yeah?

Ms. Marvel : Can he join the Avengers? We totally have chemistry.

Cap : What? Thats..

Iron Man : If we're suggesting new members, lets get Red Hulk in. I know he worked for an evil organisation, murdered people and took over the USA, but come on, chicks dig teams with Hulks on them.

Cap : There's no...

Luke Cage : Lets get Storm in here. Black Panther is never around and I'm tired of being the only black Avenger, every time we fight a monster from the beyond I keep worrying that I'm going to die first.

Cap : But that's...

Spider-Man : Hey, can my Aunt May join? I figure sticking her here is the next best thing to putting her in a home, and if there's a spot for Red Hulk, there's totally a spot for Aunt May.

Cap : Thats it! I died for this crap once, I'm not gonna bother with you people any more. Invite whoever you want, hell, invite Red Skull, its not like we have our fill of evil scumbags that suddenly want to join.

Hawkeye : Can we invite Songbird?

Cap : NO. Red Skull is one thing, but that Songbird used to be a criminal. I don't trust her on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    After coming back from death, Cap has been phoning it in. People were pestering him to get into the Avengers so it went like this :

Ms. Marvel : Hey Cap, you know Noh-Varr, that alien guy that tried to take over the Earth, took over the Cube and served on Osborne's Avengers?

Cap : Yeah?

Ms. Marvel : Can he join the Avengers? We totally have chemistry.

Cap : What? Thats..

Iron Man : If we're suggesting new members, lets get Red Hulk in. I know he worked for an evil organisation, murdered people and took over the USA, but come on, chicks dig teams with Hulks on them.

Cap : There's no...

Luke Cage : Lets get Storm in here. Black Panther is never around and I'm tired of being the only black Avenger, every time we fight a monster from the beyond I keep worrying that I'm going to die first.

Cap : But that's...

Spider-Man : Hey, can my Aunt May join? I figure sticking her here is the next best thing to putting her in a home, and if there's a spot for Red Hulk, there's totally a spot for Aunt May.

Cap : Thats it! I died for this crap once, I'm not gonna bother with you people any more. Invite whoever you want, hell, invite Red Skull, its not like we have our fill of evil scumbags that suddenly want to join.

Hawkeye : Can we invite Songbird?

Cap : NO. Red Skull is one thing, but that Songbird used to be a criminal. I don't trust her on this team.
    On the Songbird front... they did actually offer her a spot awhile ago and she simply refused.

I still find it weird that people have issues with X-Men joining the Avengers. Former members of the Brotherhood of evil mutants are somehow okay, but X-Men shouldn't be allowed in? I don't get it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    On the Songbird front... they did actually offer her a spot awhile ago and she simply refused.

I still find it weird that people have issues with X-Men joining the Avengers. Former members of the Brotherhood of evil mutants are somehow okay, but X-Men shouldn't be allowed in? I don't get it.
    I see no problem in it. The Avengers are better off without them.

BANNED

Peace
    How about if it's the end of the world, you don't pick and chose who gets to help?

If someone is willing to put their life on the line, to fight the good fight, what does it matter how "powerful" they are? If there was a choice between Luke Cage and Ben Grimm, why not chose both? They're both good people. Better to have two strong fighters than just one.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

I don't know. I'm not really a big fan of all those Avengers bylaws and conditions. It seems more like "Rules at a Country Club" than anything else. These are things the guys made up themselves. It seems weird to limit their effectiveness, or turn their nose up at certain heroes, because of arbitrary rules they could easily change.

It's kind of like the whole "You have to have ONE unique power" rule of the Legion of Superheroes. I get that it was done to add a diverse powerbase, but it seems a little limiting when you accept someone like Matter Eater Lad, but turn away a powerhouse like Wildfire.

❤ Walking with thee ❤ Ian Pressman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    If only it was that easy...

Ridiculous pose? Check! Impossible spinal curvature? Check! Visibly erect nipples? Check!

Oh, Marvel and all comics in general. You so silly.
    I can ruin you with two sentences.
    There is a clown watching you sleep.
    He isn't smiling.