Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Jeff Lemire Targets "Green Arrow"

Jeff Lemire discusses his and artist Andrea Sorentino's run on "Green Arrow," the effect the popularity of the CW's "Arrow" show has on his stories, dismisses rumors of his leaving "Justice League Dark" and more.

Full article here.

Thank you to CBR and Jeffrey Renaud for a very enjoyable and in-depth interview. I must confess to having never read The Longbow Hunters and only seeing Shado on covers. As a Mike Grell fan, I don't remember why I didn't buy those books; I honestly don't. But knowing that Shado is returning and having read her background thanks to Google just now, I'm kind of excited.

The 2 preview pieces from Andrea Sorrentino are lovely--especially the solo shot of Green Arrow. I'm a huge fan of the Arrow TV show and I think it's fantastic Jeff Lemire's plans will echo the tone and style of the show. He's absolutely right that the success of CW's Arrow can only help increase his run's chances for success.

I've been buying every issue of Green Arrow for the past 2 years; it always felt like the book was right on the verge of a huge breakthrough, but never quite made it. For the first time, though, I think this will be the most definitive run of GA in decades. Hell, all indications are the Lemire/Sorrentino GA could be the first GA series to be a real big hit since the late Eighties.

It sounds like Jeff has a sincere feel for Ollie as a character and he certainly has the perfect artist. I can't wait to read their first issue!

I haven't been reading a lot of articles myself of late but this one got my attention and was an excellent one. From what I've read here is seems like Lemire is going to be taking Ollie in a direction that I will enjoy. Looks like GA is going to be in good hands again so I look forward to adding it back onto my pull list come February.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I haven't been reading a lot of articles myself of late but this one got my attention and was an excellent one. From what I've read here is seems like Lemire is going to be taking Ollie in a direction that I will enjoy. Looks like GA is going to be in good hands again so I look forward to adding it back onto my pull list come February.
    The return of Shado (and her debut in the New 52) is welcome news. But I like how Lemire talks about a big new mythology and new villains. GA needs fresh blood in terms of characters to give the series a jolt.

Also, when Lemire says he's only keeping one member of Ollie's back-up team, Naomi and Jax, I hope it's Naomi. There's something about Jax that I've always found a bit annoying or grating. Naomi usually comes off as the more appealing member of the pair.

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

Sounds good, I've tried a couple of issues of GA but not been satisfied. Loved Longbow Hunters so that's enough for me.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

is always watching....

Lemire's one of my favourite writers at the moment so I'll definitely be picking this up. Also, the idea of him doing a gritter, street level book as opposed to the mystic weirdness of Animal Man and JL Dark is intriguing.

BANNED

Not sure yet, but I think I'll pass. Lemire's JLD is just not doing it for me, and Animal Man has gotten boring. Gritty, street level stuff is just too mundane for me in comic book form.

Comparing it to Grell, and to Long Hunters is enough to get me interested in this series, and the icing on the cake is that he has said it will bring in fans of ARROW, which can only be good for the industry.

Shado is a fun character and I love that Lemire has said he will explore a whole big mythology sells it to me (considering how many NEW 52 I am about to drop, its nice to have something to look forward too!)

Cheers.

James.
    Any Dream worth Having Is A Dream worth Fighting For.

The only way I could be happier about this is if Lemire were to reveal that he's figured out a way to work Connor Hawke into the book as well.
    Kyle Reads Alpha Flight - A distinctly Canadian look at comics' premiere team of Canadian superheroes. Also: swearing and dick jokes.

Trying to capture the tone of the tv show is exactly what the comic needs. They should've BEEN doing that. I think it is a minor tragedy they didn't make the decision to do that before they released that #0 issue. I wish there was some way to relaunch the entire series... re-reboot Green Arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by PiercedMonk View Post
    The only way I could be happier about this is if Lemire were to reveal that he's figured out a way to work Connor Hawke into the book as well.
    Come on, give it time. How could this young Ollie already have a young adult son? I love that character and that Dixon run, especially when Braithwaite was drawing it. But there's no way to do it yet and have it not be lame or change the character beyond recognition.
    Last edited by stk; 11-06-2012 at 11:04 AM.

BANNED

Yeah Connor Hawke was always "my" Green Arrow. Would be cool if he was on Earth-2.

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

Am good with everything revealed here, just hope the supporting cast won't stink. Never liked most of Ollie's supporting cast (and you can thank Smith and Winick for really driving that point home), but Shado, Dinah and this new right-hand-man work for me. Jeff is saying a lot of things I am 100% on board with.

As much as I back away from most crime books (don't stick with them, Fatale is an exception because of the horror/Satanic cult element), Ollie hunting down bad guys and the thought of a primal hunter doing that makes me smile.

Thanks for getting a bit more out of Lemire. Looking forward to it.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

I like that he mentioned never really caring for Ollie before. I read a lot of Batman, I love Daredevil, and I was already considering the new Hawkeye. Right now I think GA is pretty redundant, but if Lemire can figure out how to make him appeal in a way no one else has recently, I'll give it a shot.

Connor Hawke is laaammmeeee.

You're all dinosaurs! :P
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    I like that he mentioned never really caring for Ollie before. I read a lot of Batman, I love Daredevil, and I was already considering the new Hawkeye. Right now I think GA is pretty redundant, but if Lemire can figure out how to make him appeal in a way no one else has recently, I'll give it a shot.
    You should get Hawkeye, at least all the issues drawn by Aja. I'm not convinced that Fraction's skill is really responsible for the high level of craft we're seeing, but at the moment Hawkeye is solid 70s street level goodness that never gets too dark for its own good. It is actually one of the most fun books on the market right now.

I very much doubt that Green Arrow will be as good as these first 3 issues of Hawkeye have been (though, looking ahead, I can see that Hawkeye isn't progressing much of a narrative or plot, and that without Aja it is going to lose a big part of its appeal).
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/